Suggestion for Whale Watching out of Icy Strait?

new_cruiser

We were able to book with Glacier Wind for our cruise, but I was also considering Hoonah Travel Adventures before we booked. This is our first visit to ISP so I have no personal experience, but HTA seems to be worth considering.

I actually have 2 tours scheduled for Icy Strait, I booked a early morning bear watch with Hoonah Travel Adventures, then later the whale watch with Hoonah Whale Tours (I liked that they use a 6 passenger boat rather than a 12 passenger craft). I did consider Glacier Wind though :)

We booked ours thru RCI for the Whales & Marine Mammals. Not sure how many can be on the boat; however, the boat has an open air observation deck and we travel to Point Adolphus (one of the most active whale feeding spots for humpback whales, sea lions, and soaring eagles). It is a 2.5 hour excursion.

Glacier Wind hands down. Shawn and Teresa will take excellent care of you. Cannot recommend them highly enough.

They aren't available unless 3 other people turn up who are interested in booking the tour. I'm traveling solo and they require a minimum of 4 people.

My first question was "which port is best for Whale Watching" (the one thing I missed out on most not doing on our last AK cruise) and I think most posts agree ISP is better than Juneau. I checked the Glacier Wind and they have availability online for our date (Hoonah Whale tours does not) So - will we be able to see whales Sept 9?

Our last AK cruise was also late in the season (it was our ship's last Alaska cruise - they headed to Japan after we disembarked) We did see some beluga whales, can't recall if we saw orcas (it was a while back and I haven't reviewed my trip report) We didn't see any humpbacks but I seem to recall some people on our ship who did a whale watching tour did see some...

I don't want to spend $160 pp and not have a good chance to see them.....[i'm also wary of the 4 person minimum - we're on a small ship and right now our sailing doesn't even have a roll call at all :o]

• 1 month later...

Last May 2017, we were in Icy Strait, had gone back to the ship an was out on the balcony lookin around, my roommate came in, an said, lets go out on deck to see what we could find. Well a few minutes after bein out on deck, a pod of whales kept circlein the ship. Didn't have to take whale tours. It was the highlite of the cruise.

My first question was "which port is best for Whale Watching" (the one thing I missed out on most not doing on our last AK cruise) and I think most posts agree ISP is better than Juneau. I checked the Glacier Wind and they have availability online for our date (Hoonah Whale tours does not) So - will we be able to see whales Sept 9?

Our last AK cruise was also late in the season (it was our ship's last Alaska cruise - they headed to Japan after we disembarked) We did see some beluga whales, can't recall if we saw orcas (it was a while back and I haven't reviewed my trip report) We didn't see any humpbacks but I seem to recall some people on our ship who did a whale watching tour did see some...

I don't want to spend $160 pp and not have a good chance to see them.....[i'm also wary of the 4 person minimum - we're on a small ship and right now our sailing doesn't even have a roll call at all :o]

I would be interested in feedback from anyone going whale watching in ISP this year. We were at Point Adolphus a few days ago and didn’t see any whales. Glacier Bay ranger said only a couple of whales there, but in Juneau they were feeding right where the ship was docked....

Would you say morning or afternoon is best??

There isn't any magic time. They are in the water, and "eating". round the clock with rest when needed. Schedule where it fits your overall port time best.

I would be interested in feedback from anyone going whale watching in ISP this year. We were at Point Adolphus a few days ago and didn’t see any whales. Glacier Bay ranger said only a couple of whales there, but in Juneau they were feeding right where the ship was docked....

Point Adolphus has been a diminished feeding area for the past several seasons. Some type environmental change has happened apparently.

We were looking at Adventure Bound Alaska out of Juneau to Tracy Arm. They are mostly an up close glacier tour but they have many whale pix on their web pages. Their tour is an all day thing and it looks like they board about 15 minutes b4 our ship gets in. I've sent them two inquiries with no response. They do get very high reviews - https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g31020-Activities-c55-Juneau_Alaska.html

We were looking at Adventure Bound Alaska out of Juneau to Tracy Arm. They are mostly an up close glacier tour but they have many whale pix on their web pages. Their tour is an all day thing and it looks like they board about 15 minutes b4 our ship gets in. I've sent them two inquiries with no response. They do get very high reviews - https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g31020-Activities-c55-Juneau_Alaska.html

I've taken Adventure Bound several times. Never have I had more than 1/2 brief humpback sightings, with one trip none.

This tour is not going to be available for you. They leave on time. But make sure of their schedule for your particular day. There can be variations.