Packing Cubes

klfrodo

Just be careful with these if you are flying. It is esy to pack too much weight into a medium sized suitcase.

We always weigh the suitcases. But sometimes we have actually been able to downsize one suitcase size using these stuff sacks.

DON

Since many cabins have a very limited number of drawers for storage, with mostly cabinet shelving for our clothes, we bought the attached. They collapse down for very easy storage in our luggage and have a panel that makes them stand tall when in use, even when mostly empty.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0711RQMNF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I looked on Amazon. It does not say how much each of them weighs empty.

DON

Who knew packing cubes were such a contentious topic? :D

I guess I'm the rare person who falls midway between the cube queens and the freestyle folders.

I use one cube for underwear and socks, and another for clothes or other items that I'm not entirely sure I'll need. (I pretty much always have a swimsuit and a little black dress on me). This way I don't have to go rooting around for underpants and I don't have to deal with those "maybe" clothes until I need them. The rest of my clothes just get rolled or folded and packed the normal way. Works for me!

We LOVE our packing cubes.

Why?

Can get a lot more in my suitcase.

Keeps my suitcase super organized.

Things don't wrinkle--whether you roll or fold, as they don't shift in suitcase when being moved.

(If things are neatly & tightly packed they don't wrinkle as much; but that means you must always pack to the size of your suitcase; if you have cubes this isn't necessary)

TSA isn't pawing through my delicates.

Super easy to unpack--just toss in a drawer.

Really doesn't take anymore time to roll into the cubes or roll right into the suitcase.

Rolling minimizes wrinkles & you can get more in.

I also LOVE our garment folder (which is entirely different). I can use the plastic square to neatly fold DH's dress shirts, then fit 2 or 3 in the folder to keep them tightly folded to minimize wrinkles.

Edited by KKB

I am a huge fan of packing cubes! I love organization. I love that I can pack one cube with stuff that will go in a beach bag so that as soon as I arrive on vacation I can just pull that cube out of the suitcase, pull the beach bag out of the cube, toss everything else in the cube into the beach bag, and go. For our upcoming cruise/New Orleans vacation I have cubes for the beach/pool, for excursions off the ship, for costumes (80s party on Carnival cruise and Mardi Gras in New Orleans), for laundry items, and for things that are exclusively for our ship cabin like extension cord, highlighter pen, nightlight, etc. This way I never have to deal with any crapola until I actually need it, and as soon as I need it I don't have to look for it, it's ready to go. Packing cubes make my inner nerd sing. lol!

I am a huge fan of packing cubes! I love organization. I love that I can pack one cube with stuff that will go in a beach bag so that as soon as I arrive on vacation I can just pull that cube out of the suitcase, pull the beach bag out of the cube, toss everything else in the cube into the beach bag, and go. For our upcoming cruise/New Orleans vacation I have cubes for the beach/pool, for excursions off the ship, for costumes (80s party on Carnival cruise and Mardi Gras in New Orleans), for laundry items, and for things that are exclusively for our ship cabin like extension cord, highlighter pen, nightlight, etc. This way I never have to deal with any crapola until I actually need it, and as soon as I need it I don't have to look for it, it's ready to go. Packing cubes make my inner nerd sing. lol!

Great line!!

I also fall somewhere in between when it comes to packing cubes. For the whole suitcase I can do better without them. But, I do put all my underwear in one and all my loungy/sleepwear in another. Keeps like items together, especially those.

Also, I always carry at least 1 change of clothes in my carry-on and will put that whole outfit in one cube. Keeps the extra outfit from getting all mixed up with whatever else is in that bag; electronics, etc.

Thinking about this.......since these are basically expensive waterproof bags with zippers, has anyone considered using Ziploc Big Bags when they pack? They come in three sizes, and are a lot cheaper.

Good idea, except they aren't the same. The packing cubes are just that, cubes, so they have an extra,third, dimension. Thus they can be packed into rectangular cube type spaces which exist in your luggage. Using a Ziplock would "mush" your items to fit into more of a 2D kind of space. They could be used, (and I do for certain things), but the result is different.

Good idea, except they aren't the same. The packing cubes are just that, cubes, so they have an extra,third, dimension. Thus they can be packed into rectangular cube type spaces which exist in your luggage. Using a Ziplock would "mush" your items to fit into more of a 2D kind of space. They could be used, (and I do for certain things), but the result is different.

Also, not all packing cubes are waterproof. Mine aren't. I have waterproof compartments in my luggage for wet swimsuits or whatever, so I have no need for waterproof cubes. Mine actually have mesh windows so you can see the contents of the cube and so that your clothes can get air circulating and not get all musty and nasty.

I just used my new packing cubes and compression bags last week (not on a cruise, just a trip). Absolutely loved them. The compression bags are small but hold A LOT!!! The packing cubes were great keeping things organized without having to really unpack them. Just put them in the drawer and opened them as needed.

For items that you don't care if they get wrinkled, try these compression stuff sacks - https://www.rei.com/product/118854/rei-co-op-lightweight-compression-stuff-sack. It is absolutely incredible how much you can get into them. By the time I am done forcing stuff in them, they are hard enough that if I hit you with one of them, it might injure you. I also carry a few spares so I can stuff all my dirty laundry into them at the end of the cruise.

DON

Don -- We use compression sacks for backpacking (sleeping bags, etc.) -- but have never thought about using them for traditional travel -- might have to pull them out & take a look...

Good idea, except they aren't the same. The packing cubes are just that, cubes, so they have an extra,third, dimension. .

Actually, some of them (the big ones) do have a 3rd dimension -- I use them for storing extra linens at home, so they don't get as dusty.

Another poster mentioned that not all cubes are waterproof, which I think is good.....the ones I saw were, which is what made me think of Ziploc, but I'm not sure it's necessarily a smart idea to have them in a waterproof bag.

• 2 weeks later...

I have become addicted to packing cubes in the last couple of years. I got mine at Marshall’s for next to nothing and they also weigh next to nothing. I love that everything does not get shifted around in my luggage in transit, particularly if the suitcase is only partly full. Also appreciate having a separate cube for my pre-cruise hotel stay.

I travel with my students every year on spring break trips to Europe and find the cubes invaluable as we literally live out of a suitcase for about 12 days, changing hotels every couple of nights. On our cruises, I just throw some of the cubes into a cupboard or shelf and don’t have to get all skeevy about my clothing touching surfaces that might not have been cleaned properly.

I love cubes and have bought more. I've now also bought some plastic zip envelopes for odds and ends, like my camera and outlet adapter. It makes everything easier to pack, not just unload. For my upcoming trip, each cube has its own things in it, so with each one, I can check off that everything's gone in. Then I can check off when the cube goes into the suitcase. At least with big trips and flights, I'm trying to get to a point where I don't have to do anything before I go--everything's in the suitcase when I go to bed, and I just get dressed and go. The only things I'll always double-check before leaving is that I have my wallet, passport...that sort of thing.

Along the lines of packing cubes, I use small plastic bags for all my electronics including cables. I used to carry all my cables and accessories for everything in one very organized bag. The problem is that I always went crazy trying to figure out what cable or dongle went w each device. Now, each small bag has the device, all necessary cables, dongles and connectors. It does mean that I may have to buy multiple cables but it does keep everything organized and easy to get at.

DON

We use them. Keeps our clothes separate : Mine, Hers, Kid.

Yup, us too. All four of us have one large sized cube and one medium sized cube each. I had not used them until our last trip and will use them from now on. Packing was more compact, really helped to maximize space and made the unpleasant task of unpacking a breeze.:D

I just pack the "night before" and morning arrival stuff in my carry on, along with my papers, passports, meds, cosmetics, ipad etc.

Everything is packed in roll=up Space Bagsbags, shirts and T-shirts in one, etc. For the personal items, everything by category in zip-locks: teeth, make-up, shower stuff, lotions, medicines are all in separate bags. Why carry extra weight?

I like using packing cubes in my carry-on backpack, simply because it minimizes the risk of a "stuff explosion" when I want something from my bag on the plane. I'm flying to Australia next week, and I have a cube for snacks, one for computer peripherals (I like retro games...I have various USB controller so I can play Nintendo games all the way across the Pacific), and one for a spare set of clothes, toiletries, and medications (I'm a diabetic....that stuff HAS to come with me). Then again, I'll be living out of this bag for over a full day, in transit, with the personal space the size of an airplane seat.