What to do in Skagen????

Funnily enough there was a travel programme on BBC yesterday about Skagen.

I thought it looked a nice place, but the programme primarily concentrated on the large art colony that was very big there in the 20's.

There are still some artists living there and the local art gallery looked worth a visit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Here is a link to the Skagen City Bus SK1 - Not that many departures. https://www.nordjyllandstrafikselskab.dk/custom/mediafiles/Timetables/125/SK-1-KPL_KORT.pdf?v=01jyxh

From the bus stop you can walk to the bunkers and to the tip as well - same direction. Or take Sandormen to the tip..

Enjoy your day at Skagen.

Thanks for your help. Do you mean the bus stop in Skagen Station or the bus stop in Grenen parking lot? How much does a bus ride cost? We are there too early for their summer bus.

Susan

Funnily enough there was a travel programme on BBC yesterday about Skagen.

I thought it looked a nice place, but the programme primarily concentrated on the large art colony that was very big there in the 20's.

There are still some artists living there and the local art gallery looked worth a visit.

Skagen Museum (Art Museum), and the artists Anchers and Drachmanns Houses are definitely worth a visit. Link to the museums

Just so you don't get the wrong idea. Skagen is a major European fishing port (the biggest in Denmark with more than 300.000 tonnes landings a year) this is around half the volume of the worlds' biggest fishing port in Vigo, Spain.

The town itself is very cute, but the fishing harbour is big industry, although there are also smaller boats.

Well it doesn´t change the fact that Skagen with 8.088 inhabitants is a little village,

• 2 months later...
Here is a link to the Skagen City Bus SK1 - Not that many departures. https://www.nordjyllandstrafikselskab.dk/custom/mediafiles/Timetables/125/SK-1-KPL_KORT.pdf?v=01jyxh

From the bus stop you can walk to the bunkers and to the tip as well - same direction. Or take Sandormen to the tip..

Enjoy your day at Skagen.

Any reason not to walk to the tip (other than angry tired feet)? It would make for a good day of exercise, about 4.5K in each direction.

Is it far to walk from the pier #9 where we will dock, to the bus station to catch Bus #1 to Grenen; or is there a shuttle?

It is a 15 minute walk to the bus stop at Tinghusvej/Sankt Laurentii vej. I don't know if there are shuttle busses.

Is the walk to Grenen paved?

No. Grenen is a beach.

I found some info on the Skagen port website here that indicates there is a shuttle provided but it doesn't say to where in town. I'm assuming it the bus stop you mentioned. I found that the bus is 8 KR for seniors - can we pay the driver for a roundtrip, or separately each way? Or do we need to get a bus ticket somewhere else? I know the Sandormen is 30 KR roundtrip.

We'll be in Skagen May 3rd. We are planning to shuttle into town and find the bus stop for Bus #1 and take it to Grenen. There we will get on the Sandormen vehicle that goes out to the tip where the two seas meet. Come back on the Sandormen, go visit the Bunker Museum across the parking lot there in Grenen, then get the Bus#1 back to Skagen. From the it depends on the time left if we go shopping before returning to the ship.

Thanks for the info on BUS #1. Can one use Bus #1 to just tour around Skagen-meaning stay on it for a complete circuit?

Found this on the website

https://www.toppenafdanmark.com/ln-int/toppenafdanmark/transportation-find-your-way-skagen-frederikshavn-saeby

Citybus in Skagen

Line 1 will take you around all the sights of Skagen – from Grenen to Gl. Skagen and The Sandburied Church, as well as areas in Skagen town.

Use a travel card, Text or cash ticket. You can also purchase a day ticket on the bus or at Skagen Tourist Office – then you can get on and off the bus whenever you like.

The route is made up of three loops starting from Skagen Station. The service runs four times a day on each loop and there are more services during the summer period.

Timetable for the Bus in Skagen: 01.11.17- 30.06.18 and 01.07.18-11.08.18

The bus stop on route 1 called havneplads is also called cruise transfer or something similar in the online bus timetable brochure (but not on Google maps) so I'm guessing its the meeting point for the cruise shuttles.

Its located on the intersection with Havneplads, Havnevej and aktionsvej.

What about Voergaard Castle? I saw that offered as a port excursion in Skagen for RCI.

It gets good rating on Google (4,5) so it seems to be popular.

But I am a little bit embarrassed to say that I don't know about this castle at all. :rolleyes:

But I do know that its a 1 hour drive from Skagen and perhaps a little bit more when we take holiday traffic into the equation.

We spent an enjoyable day walking all around Skagan. We walked from the port and stopped at the Swedish Seamens Church and the round tower (across the street from the Museum -- they have bathrooms on the opposite side of the entrance to the tower), and then headed to the Trebuchet and the beach. It was a warm and sunny day. On our way back to the port we stopped at the lower level of the Seamens church (entrance is at street level and will be on your right as you head toward the port) and enjoyed a coffee and a piece of homemade cake and a cookie. The women who manage the shop were excited to have visitors. It was a nice respite before continuing back to the ship.