How To Split Up Stateroom Cost for Insurance

Hi all,

I'm trying to look up insurance options for a cruise that totals $1757 before taxes & fees. Royal Caribbean is having a "50% off the second guest in the stateroom" sale and a "Kids Sail Free" sale, so technically Guest 1's fare would be $1171.33, while Guest 2's fare would be $585.67, and Guest 3's fare would be $0 (plus all taxes & fees of course, but I know those aren't insurable).

If we needed to cancel the trip, none of us would be going and we would need to make a claim for the entire cost of the cruise.

To insure the exact amounts per person above with Travel Insured International would be $91, but to insure $1000 apiece would only be $76 (the extra $171 on Guest 1 bumps up to the next tier).

So my question is, will my cruise invoice show a fare of $0 for Guest 3 and $585.67 for Guest 2? Or will I get an invoice with the total amount paid and submit this to the insurance company for a refund of $1757/3 for each person so I can insure $1000 per person?

Or should I just stop worrying over $15, max out coverage to $1500, $1000, $1000, and pay the $91? hahah

• 3 weeks later...

When we had to file a claim due to weather (not cruise) a few years ago, each person (total of 4) had to file a claim and each got 25% of total amount claimed. It was a pretty smooth process! I would call the company you insured with just to clarify how they handle situations like this.

We insured a cruise this last June for four of us in the same stateroom. This is what we were told. Two were for kids. If you are all on the same reservation you insure for the amount of the two adults. All would be covered. There was not a separate amount for the children. If there was an insurance claim it would be for the entire amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To Clarify myself a little more. The two kids were carried under our policy. There was not a separate charge to insure them. We simply insured for the total cost of our stateroom and cruise for all of us since we were all on the same reservation number. In order to do this the kids need to be booked at the same time you book and not added later. If you add them later you need to insure them separately.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums