Break an AU 20 or 50

PHOENIXfire

Where is the best place to get change for theses size bills. I usually get some walk around money and my US bank only carried large bills. Starting at the airport should I just do small purchases each time as we make purchases. Will most venders take a 20 of 50 for a small drink, bottle water, snack ect. Should I try at the hotel desk. Will I need to go into a bank and will they help if I don't have an account with them. We will be all over CBD for a few days before we get on the ship (cashless onboard). Really want $1 $2 and $5s. Will I get "do you have anything smaller", with the "look" OR is this really a non issue. Regards.

As someone who has been to Australia five times, I think this is a non-issue. We have never had issues using AU$20 or AU$50 bills. But Australia is a very "wired" country and so we use our no foreign transaction US credit cards frequently. Possibly someone else has had problems, but we never have.

You can use $20 and $50 notes at any shop, both at the airport and out and about. Don't try the Travelex as they will only do it if you have got money from them. I know I asked recently at a airport Travelex :).

Here in Australia our $1 and $2 are coins not notes, often called "shrapnel" here. This is why we often recommend if you want to tip just round up to the nearest $5 as all those coins can get heavy. Handy to have a few but not too many.

So generally no issue, though if at a small market stall they might not have change for a $50 note.

Julie

We were just in Sydney and as the local experts mentioned we had no issues getting change back for $20.00 and $50.00 currency.

Also in case you need more money ATM machines were plentiful.

We even had a great one in our hotel so that was convenient.

Keith

We were just in Sydney and as the local experts mentioned we had no issues getting change back for $20.00 and $50.00 currency.

Also in case you need more money ATM machines were plentiful.

We even had a great one in our hotel so that was convenient.

Keith

Yep no shortage of ATMs, if you are using a debit card you can also get cash at most shops.

Most Australian ATMs dispense $50 notes as the default option (some only dispense $50s) so cafes, shops, taxi drivers etc are well used to changing $50s.

Excellent point.

I ended up using the ATM three times. One was to get money for another trip to Australia. Each time we got the bills back in $50 bills and as you noted accepted everywhere we used them.

Keith