Any suggestions for sightseeing at the ports of Visby (Sweden) or Turku (Finland)?

SLSD

We are in the process of planning for our June Baltic cruise. Have any of you been to Visby, Sweden or Turku, Finland? If you have been there, could you advise on what to do there? Take a SB excursion? Strike out on our own?

We originally looked at this itinerary and so I'd done a bit of side research on the places that I didn't visit on my last Baltic trip in 2013.

Its been ages since (like almost 30 years) but I recall Turku being an interesting and easily walkable city with a lot of history. It reminded me a bit of a less tourist-trafficked Tallinn (which is also an easy city to do on your own without a tour).

I searched some of my usual sources and came up mostly empty on Visby. I did discover a "free tours" provider (which I've generally had good luck with in really tiny ports... usually an enthusiastic young person working for cash tips) and a brewery bus that looked interesting (if that is your thing).

We tend to steer clear of Seabourn's organized tours in places that are easily walkable or where the tours seem cobbled together "just for something to do". But I'm also in the camp that believes that just because the ship stops there, doesn't mean there is a specific "must see" site. Sometimes my favorite ports are the ones where I can just wander a bit.

I'll also caution that even for the active folks, the Baltic itineraries are "go go go", especially if you are doing the 22 day that includes the 7 night Copenhagen to Stockholm loop. Those last 7 days are exhausting!

Yes, we are doing the 21 days cruise and we are very active mid-sixties people. I was hoping that Visby is a charming and walkable town we can do on our own. I've read about it---it's apparently on a hill. Happy to hear that Turku is easy to explore on our own.

Any other input will be very welcome.

Forgot to mention: There is a large square in the center of the old town. It has an interesting market. To the northeast of the square and up the hill is a large church. It is interesting in its own right and the views back over the town are worth seeing.

Dave

Thanks again Dave. I'll make some notes. I really love it when we can wander around a small town on our own. I never get tired of doing that. And the churches and views are always special. I'm going to start another thread about two other ports which seem obscure (at least to me!)

We are in the process of planning for our June Baltic cruise. Have any of you been to Visby, Sweden or Turku, Finland? If you have been there, could you advise on what to do there? Take a SB excursion? Strike out on our own?

Lots of suggestions on TripAdvisor

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Tourism-g202560-Visby_Gotland-Vacations.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Tourism-g189949-Turku_Southwest_Finland-Vacations.html

These are great suggestions Laylam. I primarily wanted to know if we could reach these sights easily on our own---or if it would be necessary to take a SB excursion. Hopefully we can do this on our own. That's our aim for this port.

We will be with you for the first 14 days. Love that it is so port intense with many that are walk-able and do-on-your-on.

Cruiser02, I look forward to meeting you!! Let's compare notes about walkable ports--Visby and Turku. Any others walkable during the first 14 days? We are not going to Berlin from the Polish port as we have been there during the Cold War days. Any other comments you have about ports would be welcome. I've been busy corresponding with our TA yesterday and today.

Cruiser02, I look forward to meeting you!! Let's compare notes about walkable ports--Visby and Turku. Any others walkable during the first 14 days? We are not going to Berlin from the Polish port as we have been there during the Cold War days. Any other comments you have about ports would be welcome. I've been busy corresponding with our TA yesterday and today.

Will keep in touch. We like to do ports on our own. Most of the ones on this itinerary appear to be charming coastal towns - easy to do. We've been to the big cities several times. Lived in Germany for many years. Need to start my research.

Please share what yoy learn.

We are from the Seattle area. Where you live?

cruiser02. We live in Dallas. And yes, I am busy doing some research looking for the ports that are walkable and looking forward to doing them on our own. I will let you know what I learn. This morning I've been reading about Klaipeda. So sad that so much was destroyed during the Soviet years, but evidently some older buildings still remain. I'm not finished reading. Evidently there are castle ruins to see.