Teetotal cruiser

simonpjd

I've heard a number of people (in person) say that they opt for Oceania (or something similar) because they do not want to pay for other peoples' alcohol. I think the discussion in this tread is a valid one in that it explains all the issues involved in inclusive fares. Some people probably had not considered not having to pay for tips separately (as it is included) and so on.

We spent 20 days on an Oceania ship and it was really surprising the number of people who said to me they would never cruise on a ship with free drinks and about not wanting to pay for other peoples drinks, Everyone knew I had been on Seabourn as I was wearing my Antarctica jacket from the Seabourn cruise we did earlier, I was not going to buy another jacket just to cruise Norway,

My logic to them was that they eat twice the amount of food as I do so why should I pay for that? To me shipping companies have worked out an average cost per person which sets the price per head for a cruise, some times the ship wins other times the ship losses per head but it would average out

I think the free drink policy is what makes Seabourn with functions the Caviar in the Surf, the Caviar around the pool, different party type functions during the cruise, etc. All the fun things which Seabourn would not be able to do if drinks had to be paid for

And I do not drink alcohol and do not like caviar and never thought about being ripped off and will not be heading back to Oceania

Edited by Thecat123

A slightly different perspective ....

Mrs machotspur and I sail mainly with Regent/Seabourn/Silversea, although we do not favour the latter these days.

Whilst I would be fibbing if I claimed that the financial aspects of this decision doesn't come into it, a primary reason for liking this style is the absence of checks/bills/swipe cards. I like to wander up to a bar, get a drink fixed, without bits of paper etc. To enjoy wine with our dinner without being interrupted to sign. Equally it is nice to invite someone else to join you in a round, without them feeling they need to seek you out to return the favour.

We've considered Oceania several times, and buying the drinks package, but my understanding is that one is still stuck with having to sign/swipe, which to us defeats the object.

When we cruise we believe that we are purchasing an overall experience and if we are happy with the $/£ for that experience then 'end of' for us, even if the person in the next suite is bathing in Moet every night, or having caviar sarnies for supper ;)

The logic of preferring Oceania because you don't want to pay for other peoples' drinks makes no sense to me but to those who adhere to it I say good luck to you sailing in one of the tiny cabins on Oceania (216 sq ft as opposed to 365 on Seabourn) unless, of course, you book a penthouse on Oceania where you will pay about the same or more as on Seabourn and still not get included drinks or gratuities.