Antarctica Live On Board

galeforce9

All my photos from the Seabourn Quest trip to Antarctica and South Georgia in Dec 17-Jan 18 are now up on Flickr. 155 photos in all. For those interested here is a link -

I hope you like them. If you haven't done this trip then maybe these little memories might encourage you to do it yourself.

Like them? We love them!! Great photography and such a wonderful memory of an absolutely amazing trip. Thank you for sharing.

All my photos from the Seabourn Quest trip to Antarctica and South Georgia in Dec 17-Jan 18 are now up on Flickr. 155 photos in all. For those interested here is a link -

I hope you like them. If you haven't done this trip then maybe these little memories might encourage you to do it yourself.

We were on the trip after you (voyage in reverse). Nice work.. Here's my humble offering:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/61793243/ANTARTICA-2018

ANTARTICA-2018

I just read all twenty pages at once, as I just returned from my cruise last week. I was so shocked and sad to hear of Captain Larsen’s untimely passing. I can only imagine how the crew and passengers felt. I’m glad that he enjoyed his accomplishment of sailing so far south.

I am putting the following info out there for anyone planning on Polar cruising in 2020 and beyond who would like to experience South Georgia Island as well as the Antartic. I was on the Hapag Lloyd Hanseatic which is leaving the fleet. Beginning in 2020 they will have a brand new purpose built Polar expedition (highest ice class) ship, serving an international clientele (as opposed their other two expedition ships, the Bremen and Nature which are geared towards the German speakers) I can see that there will be four sailings, three of which include South Georgia Island, which most people regard, rightly as a highlight.

We had 160 passengers on our sailing... the new ship will have a max of 199. This does facilitate shore landings, making it more likely that everyone will get out, and also in turn, half as many announcements. It’s also a bit easier to be spontaneous and make last minute plan changes, such as our champagne party on an ice floe in the Weddell Sea (they only are able to do this when the sea is flat and they can find an appropriate piece of ice). They provide high quality boots, parkas and hiking poles at no charge and had two high quality boot rooms (one for odd cabins and one for evens). They have a open bridge, unless there is a red sign on the door. Food and service is in the same range as Seabourn according to my fellow guests.

The big difference, and who knows how this will play out, is that it is a German line, attracting a majority of German passengers. From 2020 on they will have three cruise ships in Antartica, so it will be in their interest to market the Inspiration to the many English speakers in the world! Despite the fact that we were in a minority, everything was as promised, bilingual on the Hanseatic. One of our lecturers even created a 37 page travel log of our 20 days, with all her notes and observations for each day!

Based on my companions recommendations, I will be looking to sail with Seabourn in the future. Once one has experienced a consistently high level of service, it’s hard to go back!

Thanks everyone for your kind comments about my photos. Special thanks to John Chung for linking us to his equally splendid shots. I especially liked an upright/portrait shot of three layers of penguins - a fantastic capture.

I learned a lot about photography on that trip, mainly that you don't need blue skies and puffy white clouds to create interesting or dramatic images. In fact, Antarctica's landscapes serve the photographer best with grey and leaden skies. That brings out the blueness of the bergs.

Thanks again.

Well done Fletcher. Fantastic photos. Thanks Jacqueline for your interesting information. I’ve yet to get through all my photos - not surprising with 17,000, although I have had more time than others, having sailed on the first trip of the season!!

I’ve just about completed the Antarctic element but of course there are all the other ports yet.

In due course I’ll figure out an Instagram or Flickr account. In the mean time, here is a link to some of my photos that I’ve already submitted to my travel photography agent and have been selected by them.

https://www.robertharding.com/eleanorscriven

They also kindly featured one of the shots to reflect international women’s day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well done Fletcher. Fantastic photos. Thanks Jacqueline for your interesting information. I’ve yet to get through all my photos - not surprising with 17,000, although I have had more time than others, having sailed on the first trip of the season!!

I’ve just about completed the Antarctic element but of course there are all the other ports yet.

In due course I’ll figure out an Instagram or Flickr account. In the mean time, here is a link to some of my photos that I’ve already submitted to my travel photography agent and have been selected by them.

They also kindly featured one of the shots to reflect international women’s day.

Great photos, love your work, you should be very proud.

Wonderful photos

I haven’t unpacked the camera equipment yet much less loaded the photos onto Lightroom

I just read all twenty pages at once, as I just returned from my cruise last week. I was so shocked and sad to hear of Captain Larsen’s untimely passing. I can only imagine how the crew and passengers felt. I’m glad that he enjoyed his accomplishment of sailing so far south.

I am putting the following info out there for anyone planning on Polar cruising in 2020 and beyond who would like to experience South Georgia Island as well as the Antartic. I was on the Hapag Lloyd Hanseatic which is leaving the fleet. Beginning in 2020 they will have a brand new purpose built Polar expedition (highest ice class) ship, serving an international clientele (as opposed their other two expedition ships, the Bremen and Nature which are geared towards the German speakers) I can see that there will be four sailings, three of which include South Georgia Island, which most people regard, rightly as a highlight.

We had 160 passengers on our sailing... the new ship will have a max of 199. This does facilitate shore landings, making it more likely that everyone will get out, and also in turn, half as many announcements. It’s also a bit easier to be spontaneous and make last minute plan changes, such as our champagne party on an ice floe in the Weddell Sea (they only are able to do this when the sea is flat and they can find an appropriate piece of ice). They provide high quality boots, parkas and hiking poles at no charge and had two high quality boot rooms (one for odd cabins and one for evens). They have a open bridge, unless there is a red sign on the door. Food and service is in the same range as Seabourn according to my fellow guests.

The big difference, and who knows how this will play out, is that it is a German line, attracting a majority of German passengers. From 2020 on they will have three cruise ships in Antartica, so it will be in their interest to market the Inspiration to the many English speakers in the world! Despite the fact that we were in a minority, everything was as promised, bilingual on the Hanseatic. One of our lecturers even created a 37 page travel log of our 20 days, with all her notes and observations for each day!

Based on my companions recommendations, I will be looking to sail with Seabourn in the future. Once one has experienced a consistently high level of service, it’s hard to go back!

Thank you for your advice on South Georgia Island and this cruise line. We have not been to Antarctic yet. One question how is the smoking on board handled, considering this is a European cruise line? My husband is allergic to second hand smoke, He suffers from terrible migraines. He says he no longer wants to visit France because the smoking is so prevalent there. We traveled with a friend who suffers from asthma and we hard such a hard time in the restaurants, we could never enjoy an outdoor cafe for example and often the smoke contaminated the inside as well.

Some lovely shots there galeforce - and at times it was hard to tell yours from mine! We often had the same eye for an angle or a vista. I particularly like those wide-angle shots across the bow. Going a month or so before us, it's interesting how much more brash and sea ice there was on your trip.

• 1 month later...

For anyone that filled out the South Georgia Museum evaluation, I won the raffle. Today in the mail I received a 5-inch cast bronze penguin sent all the way from Grytviken, South Georgia via Falkland Islands, South Atlantic. I was thrilled!!

4c022ea7de749f5d86de77e973257361.jpg

Thank you for your advice on South Georgia Island and this cruise line. We have not been to Antarctic yet. One question how is the smoking on board handled, considering this is a European cruise line? My husband is allergic to second hand smoke, He suffers from terrible migraines. He says he no longer wants to visit France because the smoking is so prevalent there. We traveled with a friend who suffers from asthma and we hard such a hard time in the restaurants, we could never enjoy an outdoor cafe for example and often the smoke contaminated the inside as well.

Seabourn is a US cruise line and the rules about smoking are clear as to the very few places on deck where it is allowed- Sky Bar starboard side, starboard side of rear decks 7 and 5. So easy to avoid altogether should there be anyone there. That's it. No one wants to breathe second hand smoke and Seabourn cut out verandah and any smoking in interior lounges etc 2 years ago.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to thank every one of you who contributed to this amazing thread. It is the most helpful and instructive post I've ever seen on CC. You all convinced us, and we will be sailing on the Quest So. GA/Antarctica cruise on 12/21/19. I know I'll be referring to this thread frequently over the next 18 months.