Denali Park shuttle bus option to Eilson Vistor center mile 66

JP-Cruise

Hello,

next summer I will be on a cruisetour with Princess. When staying at the denali wilderness lodge, I upgraded from the tundra wilderness tour to the Kantishna tour, like I did last year (but last year I was with a Norwegian cruisetour)

Now I am suddenly thinking, would I be able to ditch the princess tours, and book the shuttle bus (the non tour narrative bus) to the Eilson Visitors center directly with the park? This way I will be free to explore the visitor centre and hike up the mountain trail that's there, take my time enjoying the area without be back on a bus at a certain time. Then just catch the next shuttle bus back to the lodge.

I can't speak for Princess Alaska until next August, but with the Celebrity Alaska cruise tour we did in 2015, we dumped the worthless Natural History Tour that Celebrity had, and booked our own park shuttle to Eielson visitor's center. Next year we are going to book the shuttle to Wonder Lake.

I can't speak for Princess Alaska until next August, but with the Celebrity Alaska cruise tour we did in 2015, we dumped the worthless Natural History Tour that Celebrity had, and booked our own park shuttle to Eielson visitor's center. Next year we are going to book the shuttle to Wonder Lake.

Oh perfect! Ya couldn’t agree with you more. Natural History tour = such a waste!

When you were at Eilson, how long did you stay there? How often do the shuttles come?

How often do the shuttles come?

Not sure about Eielson but we hopped off at the East Fork of the Toklat for some hiking. When we decided to go back to the park entrance it took us 3 buses and about 45 minutes of waiting. The first two buses didn't have space.

What time of year was this? We’re doing a self tour in mid May after our Celebrity Cruise. We’re currently booked on the Tundra Wilderness tour but are planning to switch to shuttle bus. I like the idea of freedom of movement.

What time of year was this? We’re doing a self tour in mid May after our Celebrity Cruise. We’re currently booked on the Tundra Wilderness tour but are planning to switch to shuttle bus. I like the idea of freedom of movement.

The park doesn’t “open” until May 20th, so if you are earlier than that there is no bus service. However, you can drive your car to Mile 30 Teklanika or take the Natural History Tour.

We did a cruise tour the second week of July. And what Wolfie11 said, the park doesn't really open until around June 1st. If you go before that, you won't be able to go very far into the park. If you are going to Denali National Park, I would strongly suggest you go after the park fully opens because there is so much more you will be able to see.

Actually, I'm going to Denali May 10th. I enjoy being in the park early before anyone else arrives. I will drive my car to Teklanika and hike along the road.

I’m starting my cruise tour July 27. Arriving at the Denali princess wilderness lodge on the 29. I’ve done further park research and just learned that they have park rangers doing guided hikes. One option I’m considering is ditching the park narrated tours. Catching the shuttle that goes to the Eilson visitor Center in time for this guided alpine mountain hike at Eilson which departs at noon

I’m starting my cruise tour July 27. Arriving at the Denali princess wilderness lodge on the 29. I’ve done further park research and just learned that they have park rangers doing guided hikes. One option I’m considering is ditching the park narrated tours. Catching the shuttle that goes to the Eilson visitor Center in time for this guided alpine mountain hike at Eilson which departs at noon

On second thought not sure how this will work. To teach Eilson by around 10. I’ll have to catch the earliest shuttle the leaves the entrance at 6am. Problem is, getting to the entrance. The earliest time the princess shuttle leaves to get to the park entrance is 7am. Unless the access Center provides pick up service?

On second thought not sure how this will work. To teach Eilson by around 10. I’ll have to catch the earliest shuttle the leaves the entrance at 6am. Problem is, getting to the entrance. The earliest time the princess shuttle leaves to get to the park entrance is 7am. Unless the access Center provides pick up service?

You can walk to the WAC from the hotel. It’s a couple of miles depending on what hotel you’re at... good chance to see a moose.

The park doesn’t “open” until May 20th, so if you are earlier than that there is no bus service. However, you can drive your car to Mile 30 Teklanika or take the Natural History Tour.

We’ll be there after the 20th. I realize the road won’t be open all the way, but that’s the timeframe we have to work with!

Here are the shuttle bus schedules for summer 2017 to give you an idea of how often the buses run. (The 2018 aren't available yet.) There are several schedules so be sure to look at the correct time frame of your visit.

https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/upload/2017-transit-shuttle-schedule.pdf

It takes about 30-45 minutes to walk from the Princess Lodge to the Wilderness Access Center (WAC ) where you catch the Denali shuttle bus. Just follow a well worn path next to the hwy. The Jonesville Trail provides a good shortcut. It starts just after you cross the bridge over the Nenana River. Takes you thru the woods (15min) to the Park Rd. Hang a right and you're about 5 min from the WAC. Be mindful of moose along the trail.

If you don't want to walk, check to see if the Salmon Bake is running their shuttle again. It should be available in a month or 2.