Vancouver sight seeing

jonyboy

We are doing the land sea tour end of June through early July. We visit Denali then cruise to Vancouver. We are thinking of changing our flight home the day the ship docks in Vancouver and staying another day or two. Any suggestions on hotels and places to visit?

Thanks

Vancouver is a wonderful city, and if you haven't spent time there then consider doing so. There is quite a bit of information on Vancouver on the Cruise Critic West Coast Departures subforum (under North American Homeports). Just a few quick suggestions would include Stanley Park, the Vancouver Aquarium (at Stanley Park), the Vancouver Art Gallery and the Capilano Suspension Bridge.

Do it!

As noted already, there is a wealth of info on Vancouver hotels and things to do, see, eat. Search for Vancouver, or even just browse this board, West Coast Departures, and Canada (Alaska/Pacific).

If you don't find what you're looking for in the existing threads, come back with the specific questions you need answered.

Vancouver is a wonderful city, and if you haven't spent time there then consider doing so. There is quite a bit of information on Vancouver on the Cruise Critic West Coast Departures subforum (under North American Homeports). Just a few quick suggestions would include Stanley Park, the Vancouver Aquarium (at Stanley Park), the Vancouver Art Gallery and the Capilano Suspension Bridge.

We arrive in Vancouver in the early afternoon the day before we cruise. I read about a Hop-On Hop-Off bus to ride to show you the city. I thought that would be fun and then we could find a good place for dinner that evening. Is it easy enough to get tickets there or should be do advance purchase on line?

Vancouver has lots of hotels for all budgets. I like unlimited budgets.

For value travelers, Blue Horizon (very central with Robson amenities) and YWCA are popular budget choices.

I am staying an extra day after our cruise in June. I book the Auberge Vancouver when I came across a good deal. Very close to the cruise terminal but a lot less than the hotels next door to it. :D Haven't decided for sure what all we will do, but I am considering the HOHO trolley. The Suspension Bridge is a big fat NO (sis scared of heights).

I am staying an extra day after our cruise in June. I book the Auberge Vancouver when I came across a good deal. Very close to the cruise terminal but a lot less than the hotels next door to it. :D Haven't decided for sure what all we will do, but I am considering the HOHO trolley. The Suspension Bridge is a big fat NO (sis scared of heights).

Not a bridge fan myself. I've been known to take an alternate route to avoid some. As I tell my wife often, they're all going to come down someday.

We arrive in Vancouver in the early afternoon the day before we cruise. I read about a Hop-On Hop-Off bus to ride to show you the city. I thought that would be fun and then we could find a good place for dinner that evening. Is it easy enough to get tickets there or should be do advance purchase on line?

Either of the two HOHO companies will happily sell you tickets on a walk-up basis. There's a little ticket hut right outside the pier (turn right when you exit, can't miss it) but in case you board elsewhere there are roving ticket-takers that get on and off the vehicles (sort of like the old bus conductors back in the day) who can even process a credit card transaction.

There aren't many deals in advance to make it worth committing to the HOHO on a single day visit, but if you walk over to the Tourist Info office (cross the street, head west a block) you might find leaflets that give a couple of bucks off. Personally I'd do the Trolley (smaller vehicles mocked-up to look like Ye Olde Streetcars) as it goes more places than WestCoast (an assortment of regular-size buses, some open top) for the same price.

Either of the two HOHO companies will happily sell you tickets on a walk-up basis. There's a little ticket hut right outside the pier (turn right when you exit, can't miss it) but in case you board elsewhere there are roving ticket-takers that get on and off the vehicles (sort of like the old bus conductors back in the day) who can even process a credit card transaction.

There aren't many deals in advance to make it worth committing to the HOHO on a single day visit, but if you walk over to the Tourist Info office (cross the street, head west a block) you might find leaflets that give a couple of bucks off. Personally I'd do the Trolley (smaller vehicles mocked-up to look like Ye Olde Streetcars) as it goes more places than WestCoast (an assortment of regular-size buses, some open top) for the same price.

The Trolley sounds like it will be exactly what we need! I really can't wait until July ;p:halo: