Another ‘whale’ question .... best port to go watching ??

Malemew

Hey

We are cruising south in September. We have stops at Icy Straight, Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan.

Are any of these more favourable than others for whale watching? It seems Juneau has quite a few tours going so guess this is the most popular / reliable option?

Thanks on advance

We had great luck in Icy Strait Point last May. We used Glacier Winds, but also saw bubble net feeding directly by the ship. There are also less options for other activities in ISP than Juneau, so Whale watching fits well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Juneau is the most likely spot to see whales with most excursions giving a $100 refund if whales are not spotted. Most humpback whales are migratory but some are year-round residents of Auke Bay (Juneau) so I have learned from the naturalists on board my excursions.

Most of the whales in this link I saw in Auke Bay. I have also been lucky enough to see Orcas in Auke Bay one season.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty/wildlife/humpback-whales/

Juneau and Icy Strait Point are the best spots for Humpback whale sightings. As mentioned, there are so many activities in Juneau that it would seem to make sense to do the whale watch in ISP although the humpback numbers are down out of ISP. Your chances of a better whale watch tour may be out of Juneau.

This is the most recent article from the park service on the humpback decline at ISP and Glacier Bay:

https://www.nps.gov/glba/blogs/recent-declines-in-humpback-whales-in-glacier-bay-icy-strait-is-their-heyday-over.htm

I went in 2015 and saw a lot in Juneau. I took a small tour, I think maybe 14 people on our boat and that worked great for photos. We did a combined glacier/whale watching tour excursion and it worked out great. I've included a link to my review that has whale watching pictures from our time in Juneau.

Also, I only did the south as well and in September and leaving Juneau we had some amazing Northern Lights so keep a watch out for that as well!

https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?t=2259404&highlight=legend

I believe Juneau and Icy Straight are relatively close to each other and whale watching may be similar. May be best to decide which one you want to do something other than whale watching, and that will help you with your decision. Obviously Juneau is larger and Icy Straight is a very small town if that helps. We did whale watching in Icy Straight and it was excellent.

We have enjoyed Whale Tours out of Juneau multiple times so it is easy for me to recommend Juneau.

I do recommend trying to go on a vessel that carrier ten or less people. I just find it a much better experience then being in a large vessel.

Keith

I went in 2015 and saw a lot in Juneau. I took a small tour, I think maybe 14 people on our boat and that worked great for photos. We did a combined glacier/whale watching tour excursion and it worked out great. I've included a link to my review that has whale watching pictures from our time in Juneau.

Also, I only did the south as well and in September and leaving Juneau we had some amazing Northern Lights so keep a watch out for that as well!

Really enjoyed your review! I was wondering if the whales would still be in Alaska in September.

I have done whale watching in September 2016 and June 2017 in both ISP and Juneau. Both places were good, but I prefer ISP. The amount of whales we saw in both places was similar, but the company we used in ISP (Glacier Wind Charters) really made a difference. Their very comfortable boat is for 6 passengers only and you can walk all the way around the deck so you are never blocked or trapped and not able to see. The captain and his wife that run the company are wonderful and give personalized service. We are using them for a 3rd time this year.

I've gone whale watching in both ISP and Juneau and found whales in both places, but had a much better experience in ISP, so much so that we're going whale watching in ISP again this summer. In Juneau we've seen a few humpbacks and seals. In ISP we saw humpbacks and orca, seals and a ton of otters. If I wasn't going to ISP, I'd go whale watching in Juneau, but if we ever stop in ISP, whale watching is #1 on my list there. I have photos on my blog (I think in my signature) and soon, I should have video on my vlog which is my username at you tube. My goal is to get it done before we go again in June!

May i ask what tour company did you book for whale watch in Juneau?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...

Thanks

I'm sorry that I just saw this response now. I actually booked the excursion through the cruise line. It was like a photo safari whale watching excursion. We picked it because it was limited to a max of 14 people, I believe.

Thanks

Chiming in with our recommendations for whale watching company in Juneau! We've just booked Captain Steve, with Alaska Humpback Adventures for our two Juneau visits during our first ever B2B Alaska cruises in July. He's the absolute best whale watch captain (out of approx. 7 captains) we've had in over a dozen excursions out of Juneau. Lost track of him after he left Harv & Marv and were thrilled to discover he started his own company this year! We have complete confidence in his competence as a captain. He's lived and captained in Juneau for decades and knows those waters intimately. On his trips, not only will you see whales but he also will point out all the other wildlife you observe along the way. His love and enthusiasm for wildlife is contagious!

His 6-passenger boat, the Merlin, has a hydrophone, which means you may be able to hear the whales communicating with each other. One year when the Auke Bay area humpbacks were in a bubble-net feeding period, we knew when they were about to surface because we could actually hear the "signal" via the hydrophone. Spectacular wildlife experience!

For anyone who wants the intimate whale watching experience of a 6-passenger boat, in our opinion, there is no reason to go with anyone but Captain Steve. While on his site, check out the breathtaking photos in the Gallery. www.alaskahumpbackadventures.com.

Chiming in with our recommendations for whale watching company in Juneau! We've just booked Captain Steve, with Alaska Humpback Adventures for our two Juneau visits during our first ever B2B Alaska cruises in July. He's the absolute best whale watch captain (out of approx. 7 captains) we've had in over a dozen excursions out of Juneau. Lost track of him after he left Harv & Marv and were thrilled to discover he started his own company this year! We have complete confidence in his competence as a captain. He's lived and captained in Juneau for decades and knows those waters intimately. On his trips, not only will you see whales but he also will point out all the other wildlife you observe along the way. His love and enthusiasm for wildlife is contagious!

His 6-passenger boat, the Merlin, has a hydrophone, which means you may be able to hear the whales communicating with each other. One year when the Auke Bay area humpbacks were in a bubble-net feeding period, we knew when they were about to surface because we could actually hear the "signal" via the hydrophone. Spectacular wildlife experience!

For anyone who wants the intimate whale watching experience of a 6-passenger boat, in our opinion, there is no reason to go with anyone but Captain Steve. While on his site, check out the breathtaking photos in the Gallery. www.alaskahumpbackadventures.com.

Thank you so much. I will look through it.

I know that we cannot control the nature but I want to see as much as possible.

Excuse me. How many captain Steve are there for whale watching?

As I searched, I found captain Steve in many web sites. i am confused.

Thank you

Excuse me. How many captain Steve are there for whale watching?

As I searched, I found captain Steve in many web sites. i am confused.

Thank you

Yes, I've noticed that, too! The Captain Steve we are recommending is Captain Steve Olmstead, with www.alaskahumpbackadventures.com.

Happy planning!

We had great luck in Icy Strait Point last May. We used Glacier Winds, but also saw bubble net feeding directly by the ship. There are also less options for other activities in ISP than Juneau, so Whale watching fits well.

Good to know, as we have whale/mammal watching booked in ISP.

Yes, I've noticed that, too! The Captain Steve we are recommending is Captain Steve Olmstead, with www.alaskahumpbackadventures.com.

Happy planning!

Yes,

I just want to know who as I heard often that he is the best.

Thank you for introducing. I will be there in early June.