Current cheap eats Waikiki

hangfive

Diamond Head Market and Grill is wonderful. Our favorite is Lulu's. It is open air and we love to share an order of Kalua Pork Nachos and a couple of mai tais. Good menu and generous portions for B, L, and D. Also a good Happy Hour. If you are going for dinner you might make reservations. Cherie

• 2 weeks later...
Diamond Head Market and Grill is wonderful. Our favorite is Lulu's. It is open air and we love to share an order of Kalua Pork Nachos and a couple of mai tais. Good menu and generous portions for B, L, and D. Also a good Happy Hour. If you are going for dinner you might make reservations. Cherie

Thanks for your input. Lulu's looks great, as does Dukes. Plan to give them both a try.

If you are looking for lunch we enjoyed Cheeseburger Waikiki. I can recommend the Cheeseburger Island Style, topped with Kalua Pork, Grilled Pineapple and Hawaiian Teriyaki Sauce.

BTW Dukes is great but I would never call it "cheap eats" ;p :D

If you are looking for lunch we enjoyed Cheeseburger Waikiki. I can recommend the Cheeseburger Island Style, topped with Kalua Pork, Grilled Pineapple and Hawaiian Teriyaki Sauce.

BTW Dukes is great but I would never call it "cheap eats" ;p :D

Cheeseburger in Paradise?

You'd need to drive or take the bus/uber, or walk a bit, but in my own research I just came across Rainbow Drive-in. Continuing up the same road is Wailoa Shave Ice and Leonard's Bakery. And Monsarrat Ave Shave Ice, using fresh fruit purees, is not far. But if not Rainbow,, I was just planning on Lulu's, Tiki's or Duke's. All MUCH more costly than Rainbow! There are several bus routes going by all of these places.

I highly recommend checking out the Shirokiya Japan Village Walk at the Ala Moana Center. Amazing collection of Japanese and other Hawaiian/Asian foods in a setting like an old village food market... very fun and lots to choose from. They have some crazy cheap beer specials every day too.

• 2 months later...

Hmmm... I too went to Rainbow Grill. It was not the slightest bit fancy, but very tasty plate lunches. Not sure what the last poster found nasty, since there is no detail.

I had the shoyu chicken plate, since that was a Yelp favorite. It was meltingly tender, lots of flavor. Do watch, they have large chunks of ginger in there that I thought were chicken. But I'd guess that's why all the flavor! There was some cabbage on the plate before the rice, gravy and chicken went down. At first I thought that was the coleslaw and didn't think much of it, but then I found the coleslaw in the bag, so it was just garnish. Nice filling plate for $8.50. My companion got the roast pork. The strawberry slush that was a favorite, too was far too sweet for my taste, but I got ice cream in mine. If you don't like powerful sweet, skip the ice cream, as the tang in the strawberry alone will help.

I'm still wracking my brain for what could have been nasty to the other poster- it was clean, even the tables, garbage cans had room, all the others there seemed happy with their meals, so maybe just preference? I like to balance splurge restaurants with simple local places.

The main concern I had there was the lines, as several are going at once. We were sent over by the server on one line to the next, which had just opened, and there waved over the rest of the way by that window operator. Someone further back in line accused us of cutting. We were next in line anyway, but we HAD just followed instructions. This guy made a giant commotion about it and would not shut up. This guy is not Rainbow's fault, but they could make the lines a bit easier to navigate.

We did like our meals, and they are close to Leonard's, while you are there!