Do Cabs in Sydney Accept Credit Cards

donaldsc

We are disembarking from our cruise in Sydney and plan to take a cab to the airport. That is the only time that we will be in Australia. Will we be able to charge our cab ride or do we have to get some Australian money?

DON

We are disembarking from our cruise in Sydney and plan to take a cab to the airport. That is the only time that we will be in Australia. Will we be able to charge our cab ride or do we have to get some Australian money?

DON

Yes the do but will add a surcharge for doing so (can be up to 5 percent.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from cruise, ended in Sydney. Had 4 pieces of luggage, so my husband &I took a taxi to airport. Asked the driver before entering the taxi if he accepted Visa credit card. He said sure. When we got to airport, he said “oh no, I can’t accept credit card. My machine doesn’t process AMERICAN credit card. I’ll take cash, any type, Australian, New Zealand, US. Price is $82.50 (Australian dollars) plus $4 more for the luggage. So $85, US is fine.”

I said I’ll go in & get Australian dollars from debit machine. He said he’ll accept $71 US.

Wish I had taken the HollandAmerica airport transfer for $19 per person!

Just back from cruise, ended in Sydney. Had 4 pieces of luggage, so my husband &I took a taxi to airport. Asked the driver before entering the taxi if he accepted Visa credit card. He said sure. When we got to airport, he said “oh no, I can’t accept credit card. My machine doesn’t process AMERICAN credit card. I’ll take cash, any type, Australian, New Zealand, US. Price is $82.50 (Australian dollars) plus $4 more for the luggage. So $85, US is fine.”

I said I’ll go in & get Australian dollars from debit machine. He said he’ll accept $71 US.

Wish I had taken the HollandAmerica airport transfer for $19 per person!

$80 sounds high

Sorry to say you were had - that is a BS story on not accepting US issued cards - the machines don’t discriminate and that charge for OPT to the International Airport is very high - this fare estimator sites suggest 50% of the price @ https://www.worldtaximeter.com/sydney/+sydney+airport/overseas+passenger+terminal+circular+quay

So did you happen to get his Taxi number or ID?

Sorry to say I did not get his taxi number or ID. We were too shocked to think clearly. He didn’t have the meter on during the ride either. Charging more for luggage?? That’s why we took the cab instead of the train! I know the hotels and stores in Australia had no problem with our credit card.

He did tell us early in the ride how much lower the crime rate is in Australia compared to the US, then proceeds to rob us! I’ve never been cheated by a taxi driver in the US, so wasn’t prepared for this. Left us with a very bad impression of Sydney!

I’m sorry to hear your Sydney experience ended that way

Maybe because I am a local but I have to say I’ve never heard of anyone else being treated this way by a licenced Sydney taxi driver.

I’m not saying it doesn’t happen but I do not believe it’s common. I hope you didn’t tip them

I’m sorry to hear your Sydney experience ended that way

Maybe because I am a local but I have to say I’ve never heard of anyone else being treated this way by a licenced Sydney taxi driver.

I’m not saying it doesn’t happen but I do not believe it’s common. I hope you didn’t tip them

I have had a similar experience with a cab from Sydney airport to Cruise Terminal at Circular Quay. Told by the driver credit card no problem but when we arrived he claimed his Eftpos was not working and would only accept cash. I was suspicious and firmly told the driver (non Australian) that I had no cash and pretended to record his cab number. Miraculously the Eftpos machine suddenly worked and I was on my way. I am Australian with an Australian credit card so I hope this was an isolated incident and not a common scam.

The old 'credit card machine isn't working' is a common ploy by Australian cabbies, and one reason I avoid taxis in Australia, amongst others.

That said, I've yet to see one run off-metre, and given the degree of regulation, especially at airport, I'd believe that aspect to be very uncommon. But the lack of ethics, or dodginess is less so...

Last March, we were leaving the apartment building where we had stayed the night before embarking on the VOS at the OPT. There was a taxi at the front door as we walked up from reception and a young woman was just about to get in the back seat when the taxi driver saw us coming with our luggage. He said something to the passenger and she got out and went to another taxi. The driver put our luggage in the boot and you should have seen the look on his face when I said where we were going I think he thought he had a a trip to the airport! We still laugh about it. I was glad the young woman had another taxi to take her to her destination or we would have waited for another one.

Leigh

We were in Australia and New Zealand in November and had no trouble with the taxis and credit cards. We did have Aussie$, but managed to do our entire time in NZ with just a credit card and no NZ$. The only time we needed cash was for our van shuttle for $15 AU pp from Potts Point to the airport. They informed us of the cash only well beforehand.

Sorry to say I did not get his taxi number or ID. We were too shocked to think clearly. He didn’t have the meter on during the ride either. Charging more for luggage?? That’s why we took the cab instead of the train! I know the hotels and stores in Australia had no problem with our credit card.

He did tell us early in the ride how much lower the crime rate is in Australia compared to the US, then proceeds to rob us! I’ve never been cheated by a taxi driver in the US, so wasn’t prepared for this. Left us with a very bad impression of Sydney!

What's that a proper taxi? Or were you approached by someone offering the service? The letter being illegal.

You clearly must also have noticed that the meter was not on. Why not say something? Don't judge Sydney by it. At least in Australia you are unlikely to get sworn at by a cabbie if you don't tip.

Yes it was a proper taxi, and in the queue at OPT, and we were directed into this taxi by the supervisor of the taxi queue line at OPT cruise port. We were not out on the street trying to flag down an unofficial taxi.

We don’t take taxis often enough to know to watch for a meter. But now we will.

This was an unscrupulous taxi driver who cheated us. Please don’t try to blame the victim for the crime!

Yes it was a proper taxi, and in the queue at OPT, and we were directed into this taxi by the supervisor of the taxi queue line at OPT cruise port. We were not out on the street trying to flag down an unofficial taxi.

We don’t take taxis often enough to know to watch for a meter. But now we will.

This was an unscrupulous taxi driver who cheated us. Please don’t try to blame the victim for the crime!

Agreed, the taxi driver is clearly in the wrong, not the passenger.

They have tried to stamp it out, and I'm surprised it happened - as said, I hadn't heard it before - but it's not the victim's fault. Of course it will create a bad impression, hence why they try to stop it.

• 3 weeks later...

I’m wondering wether the American credit card was a non chip credit card?

Most of our machines do not take credit cards unless its a chip card.

Not trying to make excuses for what could be a bad apple, but maybe that’s what he meant when he said he doesn’t accept American credit card...

• 3 weeks later...