Binder clips!! Well, who knew!!

JayDeeJay

welcome to the party! I just recently learned to bring along a couple of small binder clips so you can close the curtain(s) and eliminate that one little open sliver where the early morning sun will send a laser beam through, directly into an eyeball, with surgical accuracy. Duuuhhh!! A bit slow on the uptake, but I certainly welcomed the tip. I’m sure it’s been discussed before, I managed to miss it. This is for those of you who, like me, aren’t the fastest off the block.

Happy cruising!

Have you ever used trash bags to line your luggage, pack your things inside the plastic bag, twist/tie and if it rains and your luggage is sitting on the tarmac or dock waiting to load, luggage arrives cabin wet, but things nice and dry. When returning home. bag can be reused same, or wrap valuable trinkets in, dirty laundry or whatever you may need it for.

Have you ever used trash bags to line your luggage, pack your things inside the plastic bag, twist/tie and if it rains and your luggage is sitting on the tarmac or dock waiting to load, luggage arrives cabin wet, but things nice and dry. When returning home. bag can be reused same, or wrap valuable trinkets in, dirty laundry or whatever you may need it for.

Have never used garbage bags, but back in the 60's I got the idea to use comforter bags -- 2 per suitcase. Inside them I put our sweater bags that are filled with underwear, etc. Just pop them into the drawers in the hotels and cabins.

A couple of large binder clips are good to out on the bottom of the shower curtain if you get one of the touchy feely curtains.

Kim

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On our first cruise (no internet back then to get hints from people) we had a shower curtain that loved us and leaked water onto the floor. I didn't have any binder clips but I did have paper clips that we used.

A couple of large binder clips are good to out on the bottom of the shower curtain if you get one of the touchy feely curtains.

Kim

So funny! I hate those touchy feely curtains!

Have never used garbage bags, but back in the 60's I got the idea to use comforter bags -- 2 per suitcase. Inside them I put our sweater bags that are filled with underwear, etc. Just pop them into the drawers in the hotels and cabins.

That's a good idea as well, but the trash bags would repel water if totally tied tight, comforter bags would leak through the zipper, but the sweater/sheet bags would be good for the drawers.

I take a few clothes pins and those large ones that you can use to keep your towel from blowing off the loungers. You can use the clothes pins for the shower curtain, drapes to keep out the light and to clip a few things on the back of a chair on the balcony to get them to dry quicker. I get both kind at the dollar store along with every size of zip lock baggies. I use zip locks of various sizes undies go in one, swimsuits and cover ups in another. Shoes in the 3-gal size to keep them from touching the clothes. Got the zip lock tip YEARS ago here on cruise critic and it has proven invaluable. I even take a few extras and I can take some crackers in a sandwich size, then some fruit and cheese on a plate that will slide right inside a gallon size one. Late at night, it's great to have cheese, fruit and crackers on our balcony with a glass of wine.

Rather than ziplocks for shoes, I found a package of 6-8? shower caps at the Dollar store, They work great to slide over shoes and I can pack shows in different corner of suitcase depending on how they fit in. And of course, I stuff the shoes with socks.

I love the hint about garbage bags. Can store dirty laundry in it in the cabin and use to haul to laundry and I don't have to find room for a collapsible hamper.

I've been scouring the boards only today for what essentials are needed for a cruise which I might not take on holiday usually. So far my list includes:

Battery alarm clock

Pop up hamper for laundry

Extension cords / multi socket leads

Towel clips (also for shower curtains / balcony curtains)

Lanyards

Waterproof phone cases

I already take zip locks everywhere!

Any other hints and tips - we're cruising with RCI so if there are any specifics to this line, it would be good to know about these especially.

Thanks

I've been scouring the boards only today for what essentials are needed for a cruise which I might not take on holiday usually. So far my list includes:

Battery alarm clock

Pop up hamper for laundry

Extension cords / multi socket leads

Towel clips (also for shower curtains / balcony curtains)

Lanyards

Waterproof phone cases

I already take zip locks everywhere!

Any other hints and tips - we're cruising with RCI so if there are any specifics to this line, it would be good to know about these especially.

Thanks

I use my phone on flight mode for an alarm clock, and save a little space in my suitcase.

Also, be sure that if you take any sort of multi-socket electrical device, it doesn’t have a surge protector. Those can cause fires on shipboard, so are not allowed. Also, extension cords are often not allowed. If you need one for something like a CPAP machine, the ship can supply one, especially if you let them know in advance.

I usually take a magnet or two for pinning invitations and excursion tickets to the wall. Usually the walls are steel, and will hold a magnet, but not always. At least magnets are small and don’t take up much room if not needed.

I use my phone on flight mode for an alarm clock, and save a little space in my suitcase.

Also, be sure that if you take any sort of multi-socket electrical device, it doesn’t have a surge protector. Those can cause fires on shipboard, so are not allowed. Also, extension cords are often not allowed. If you need one for something like a CPAP machine, the ship can supply one, especially if you let them know in advance.

I usually take a magnet or two for pinning invitations and excursion tickets to the wall. Usually the walls are steel, and will hold a magnet, but not always. At least magnets are small and don’t take up much room if not needed.

(y)

Binder clips have a lot of other travel uses.

Place one over your razor to cover the blade before packing it.

razor-binder-clip.jpg

Use 1 or 2 for a temporary phone stand.

FE1ZGBYFNNK6GF0.LARGE.jpg

post-4374-image-e581c593f82902a87da70e959f60f054.jpg

Use them to keep cords organized while packed, and to hold your charger to the side of your desk or table.

e3696b8ed1ac8c708f83941387dcd8d9--binder-clips-organizing-ideas.jpg

binderclips-kabels-660x439.jpg

And they're still great for organizing papers! Who knew?! You can even clip'em all together and hang them from a magnetic hook stuck to the wall of your cabin to keep your desktop clear.

All luggage which leaves our house always has all clothing sealed in plastic in some way. When I was a kid we went on a school trip and someone placed about a gallon of shampoo in their luggage without making sure it was closed up tightly. Of course it was the suitcase on top of a stack locked up under the bus. We ended up taking the clothes to a washateria where further hijinks ensued when we tried to wash six loads of shampoo-laden clothing. Surprisingly shampoo turned out to loosen colors where detergent did not, and it turns out suds lock is a thing that is real, too. :eek::rolleyes:

I'm the only person I know who's been asked to leave and banned for life from a washateria.

Since then I pack by laying out one outfit for each day plus one spare. I pack each sealed in an air tight plastic bag. Usually just a standard gallon zip bag which I reuse for further trips. On the plus side we never forget half an outfit, it limits over-packing, and we never have to worry about spills or rain.

My kids roll their eyes loudly in stereo every time this topic comes up, though. Something about always voted most prepared at Girl Scout camp every year? Kids! :rolleyes:What are you going to do? :*:cool:

I usually use a hanger from their closet, a pant hanger with clips, to close a curtain. We had a hotel curtain that would not close once and I used a hanger out of desperation. Works great.

brilliant!

! I have used my hair clip but now will use your idea.

-I also bring clothes pins to dry items on the clothes shower line or hold shower curtain edges down- until figured could run clothes line threaded through swimsuit to dry it.

- magnetic hooks or magnets as most cabin walls are metal, or Command hooks.

- towel clips for the pool loungers- keeps from blowing and not having to use my shoes.

OH, if closet doirs rattle or slide wedge a washcloth in.

-bring a pen flashlight to find bathroom easier at night, or br f battery nightlight for seniors and kids

Bathroom nightlight: Battery operated tea-light size candle. Its very small for packing, cheap, and gives just enough light.

We buy a half dozen of so and spread them around the cabin as well as the bathroom just because the layout is unfamiliar to us. We leave them behind just because they break easily and aren't worth protecting. Some stewards are happy to have them for use by future passengers.