Juneau: 'On Your Own' Transportation from Port to Mendenhall Glacier Center

ajtraveler66

We have decided that while in Juneau the only thing we want to do is spend some quality time at the Mendenhall Glacier Center (which includes Nugget Falls).

Since we will have the entire time at port to do this, we (2 of us) feel that we can do this on our own without fear of 'missing the boat'.

What options are out there for us to get to MGC on our own? We prefer not to rent a car.

Shuttle buses that leave from the tram parking lot,

taxi from the dock,

City bus from the bus stop- IF you are open to being accepting of once an hour service- and walking a mile each way, into the park. Park entry fee also involved.

But- if you have a full port day- I suggest you at least look further at opportunities for touring, there are multiple options that can be easily included with a rental car. It is a simple matter driving in Juneau. I took a group of first timers with me, last May, drove out to Eagle Beach, St. Theresa, Chapel on the Lake, Brewery, Hatchery (no fish), extended time at Mendenhall - ranger program, Nugget Falls, and Trail of Time, Fred Meyer. :) All with Plenty of time. Second trip- did the same with my nephew, added Sandbar for lunch and a marina stop to see someone. Again, simple to include. :)

Just some ideas.

Rent a car! You'll be free to stop where you want and for how long. A car is cheap. Juneau Car Rental and Avis are both near the AJ Dock. If you or your shipmate have one of the passes for National Parks (there are various types - disabled, senior, etc.) you can get into the Mendenhall park for free. Parking is free. Fred Meyer's supercenter is right on the way and is a great place for Juneau/Alaska souvenirs - they have a whole aisle of typical items like shot glasses, hats, t-shirts, post cards, etc. and reasonable prices. It's almost impossible to get lost in Juneau. Good luck!

I was asking a similar question on another thread about the Blue Bus and White Bus. Coral was kind enough to give me a link to MMTours about the blue bus. I will include the link below. It looks like the blue bus Glacier Express is $45 pp RT to Mendenhall, including the $5 entry fee. It is a do-it-yourself tour.

http://www.mmtoursofjuneau.com/land-tours

I was asking a similar question on another thread about the Blue Bus and White Bus. Coral was kind enough to give me a link to MMTours about the blue bus. I will include the link below. It looks like the blue bus Glacier Express is $45 pp RT to Mendenhall, including the $5 entry fee. It is a do-it-yourself tour.

http://www.mmtoursofjuneau.com/land-tours

Thank you for posting this link. It was helpful in my planning.

I'll try to google it, but I'd love to see a picture of, or info on, the Chapel on the Lake!

It's on the Alaska Universality campus. A stop I include frequently. Nice artwork around the campus as well. :)

Thank you, Budget Queen.

I have another thing I'm curious about. Juneau Car Rental, which I understand used to be Rent a Wreck, has an office at A-J pier. Do you or anyone else know about how far of a walk that would be from the cruise ship berth which is right across from the tourist info center - main cruise ship berth, I think? Then does Juneau Car Rental take you to another location to get the car, or is the car right there? I'm just trying to get an idea of how long it would take to get a car, and how much walking (or cab ride) is involved. They are quoting me around $63 for a mid-sized car.

Thank you, Budget Queen.

I have another thing I'm curious about. Juneau Car Rental, which I understand used to be Rent a Wreck, has an office at A-J pier. Do you or anyone else know about how far of a walk that would be from the cruise ship berth which is right across from the tourist info center - main cruise ship berth, I think? Then does Juneau Car Rental take you to another location to get the car, or is the car right there? I'm just trying to get an idea of how long it would take to get a car, and how much walking (or cab ride) is involved. They are quoting me around $63 for a mid-sized car.

It's about a mile from the Tram Parking lot. Juneau Car Rental cars are on site.

If there is a ship at the AJ dock there is a bus that runs back and forth to the tram parking area for those passengers. It was $3 several years ago. It’s a block or two from Juneau Car Rental. If the weather is decent it’s not a bad walk, 15-20 minutes. If there is a ship at the AJ dock there is a bus that runs back and forth to the tram parking area for those passengers. It was $3 several years ago. It’s a block or two from Juneau Car Rental. If the weather is decent it’s not a bad walk, 15-20 minutes.

Rent a car! You'll be free to stop where you want and for how long. A car is cheap. Juneau Car Rental and Avis are both near the AJ Dock. If you or your shipmate have one of the passes for National Parks (there are various types - disabled, senior, etc.) you can get into the Mendenhall park for free. Parking is free. Fred Meyer's supercenter is right on the way and is a great place for Juneau/Alaska souvenirs - they have a whole aisle of typical items like shot glasses, hats, t-shirts, post cards, etc. and reasonable prices. It's almost impossible to get lost in Juneau. Good luck!

A park ranger at the Hero Glacier (near Seward) told me that access to all of the national parks in Alaska is free. Apparently it was a condition of statehood. We didn't pay to go in last year, as I recall.

There is a $5 fee to access several areas at Mendenhall Glacier that includes the visitor center and to use the restrooms. Some trails like the Nugget Falls Trail is free.

It's $10 per person fee at Denali National Park.

Depending on your transportation, many times the fees are wrapped in the transportation cost and you wouldn't even know it.

Edited by Glaciers

I'm having trouble figuring out just where the tram parking lot is. Would that be in the area of Creek Street?

Sorry, never mind. I figured it out. Found a good map - one which states it's a mile from where I'll be to A-J! Duh!

A park ranger at the Hero Glacier (near Seward) told me that access to all of the national parks in Alaska is free. Apparently it was a condition of statehood. We didn't pay to go in last year, as I recall.

Exactly where is "Hero" glacier??

State parks and National parks are two different managements. There is a Kenai Fjords National Park, which has several glaciers. There are all kinds of fees involved with the parks. Here is a list from the official state, web site. Kind of hard to have "access" into most of these parks without paying to park. So, not a park fee, but a fee none the less. as example. http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/asp/unitfees.htm http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/asp/unitfees.htm

I have contacted both Juneau rental car and Avis and they both want almost $100 for a 1-day car rental the day we are in port. Sailing on the Celebrity Solstice. How much should a taxi to Mendenhall be and is there cell phone service there to call for a return cab? How much time would one recommend for a leisurely visit there?

Shuttle buses that leave from the tram parking lot,

taxi from the dock,

City bus from the bus stop- IF you are open to being accepting of once an hour service- and walking a mile each way, into the park. Park entry fee also involved.

But- if you have a full port day- I suggest you at least look further at opportunities for touring, there are multiple options that can be easily included with a rental car. It is a simple matter driving in Juneau. I took a group of first timers with me, last May, drove out to Eagle Beach, St. Theresa, Chapel on the Lake, Brewery, Hatchery (no fish), extended time at Mendenhall - ranger program, Nugget Falls, and Trail of Time, Fred Meyer. :) All with Plenty of time. Second trip- did the same with my nephew, added Sandbar for lunch and a marina stop to see someone. Again, simple to include. :)

Just some ideas.

Good list but you left out the Alaska State Museum which is an excellent museum if you are into museums.

DON

Good list but you left out the Alaska State Museum which is an excellent museum if you are into museums.

DON

You're right, along with the State Capital (I really enjoyed the self guided, on a rainy day,) Last Chance Mine, the Juneau Douglas City museum, plus a walk by the Governor's hours, cemetery. OH, you got me going Don. :) :) :)

A great walking area- and away from the shopping crowd. Easy to get away from the crowds. :)

When we were there 4 years ago, we took a tour in a van from the local Tlinget natives to the glacier. The local guide offered us a local tour of the town and gave us all kinds of information about the Indians, the politicians, history and scandals. Very entertaining. He told us all about living there and let us set the time he would pick us up from the glacier since he only lived a couple of miles away. It cost a few dollars over the price of the glacier center. Great ride and left us with something to remember.

Nobody answered the question about having cell service at the Mendenhall Glacier, so now I'm wondering the same thing. I'm assuming I'll have service (T Mobile), or can call over WiFi, to arrange a taxi back to the port. However, can anyone confirm this? If not, would it be possible to have someone inside the Center (National Park employee) call a taxi for me? I'm debating on whether to rent a car from Juneau Car Rental (lots more than $30 now, but not too terribly bad) or just using bus or taxi. I'd also be interested in hearing of any privately-arranged tours or transportation like the one mentioned by OK bead lady.

How long should we plan to be at Mendenhall to walk out to the falls and back? Would an hour out and an hour back be a reasonable estimate?

We’ve been in the visitor center.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How long should we plan to be at Mendenhall to walk out to the falls and back? Would an hour out and an hour back be a reasonable estimate?

We’ve been in the visitor center.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The walk is about 15 to 20 minutes each way !