Young kids and unsure what to do for day. Exit Glaceir?

abaci

We will be arriving by cruise ship in Seward approximately 5:00 am and we are taking the train to anchorage leaving at 6:00 pm. We are a group of six adults with 3 young kids (ages 1, 3 & 4). After walking from the port to the train station to check in and drop our luggage, I'm really not sure what I we are going to do. I know we don't want to visit the SeaLife and we will probably visit Waterfront Park Playground to let the kids burn some energy before the train. Is visiting Exit Glacier with kids possible? It sounds like the the paths (at lest some) are paved. How much are paved? Are the 1 mile viewing loop and/or the 2 mile walk to the glaciers edge at least paved? This was not info I was finding.

Honestly I don't know if its all the planning of for all the other stops or what, but I can't seem to find anything to do other than what is mentioned above. I'm not looking forward to this stop like I thought I would when we booked the cruise. I know we can walk the town, but is there anything we should try and see/do? Any help/ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

I would at least keep the Sealife Center in mind as a backup in case of rain. It’s warm, there’s a small cafe inside for a snack, you can take the free shuttle, there are places to sit throughout. And who doesn’t like sea lions?!

There is a wheelchair accessible trail at Exit Glacier, so I’m assuming that it’s paved.

https://www.nps.gov/kefj/planyourvisit/exit-glacier-area.htm

You will need a shuttle or taxi to get to Exit Glacier.

Part of the trail is paved at Exit Glacier, but you have to cross the outwash plain and ford small streams to get to the toe of the glacier. Access is sometimes limited due to hanging ice or ice falls.

You could also go on one of the boat tours. Just curious as to why you are taking the train at 6pm rather than a cruise line transfer that would go much earlier? Also the Sea Life Center is a great place for kids with lots of activities.

Being it seems , there is nothing of interest in Seward for you, then I agree with Wolfie, why not just take the cruise contracted train that leaves in the morning/ At least Anchorage, is a large city with a lot to see and do. Your, "walking to town" thinking, is over a mile and not sure what you expect? It's simply a street with a few vendors, not much there. Pretty much the same think walkable from the train depot. No the loop walk to the Exit, glacier viewing point is not much paved. Stairs can be involved, also a small up hill path.

Being it seems , there is nothing of interest in Seward for you, then I agree with Wolfie, why not just take the cruise contracted train that leaves in the morning/ At least Anchorage, is a large city with a lot to see and do. Your, "walking to town" thinking, is over a mile and not sure what you expect? It's simply a street with a few vendors, not much there. Pretty much the same think walkable from the train depot. No the loop walk to the Exit, glacier viewing point is not much paved. Stairs can be involved, also a small up hill path.
We aren't doing the cruise transfer as my father loves trains and we are taking the train mostly for him. It's the only train in AK we are doing. The earlier train seemed like it might be rushed especially with children. We already have the train and airfare that evening (fly out of Anchorage just before midnight) purchased. Before the planning I was thinking there would be more to do in Seward. Also my brother (with 2 of the kids) is being a little more price sensitive then I thought he would be. Thanks for the suggestions and help. I'll look into the boat. I'm sure we'll find something I just need to keep digging.

Sent from my XT1049 using Forums mobile app

I actually find Seward rather refreshing with its lack of Diamond International stores and so forth. It is a much less touristy community than some of the other SE Alaska ports.

But the SeaLife Center has some behind the scenes tours that families have rated highly in reviews on this board, and since Seward can be rainy may be an option. Major Marine day excursions have a NPS ranger onboard who conducts a junior ranger program. And Seavey's Ididaride tours might also be an option.

But since your brother is being more price sensitive than you had anticipated does everyone have to do the same activity, or can you split into two group?

We aren't doing the cruise transfer as my father loves trains and we are taking the train mostly for him. It's the only train in AK we are doing. The earlier train seemed like it might be rushed especially with children. We already have the train and airfare that evening (fly out of Anchorage just before midnight) purchased. Before the planning I was thinking there would be more to do in Seward. Also my brother (with 2 of the kids) is being a little more price sensitive then I thought he would be. Thanks for the suggestions and help. I'll look into the boat. I'm sure we'll find something I just need to keep digging.

Sent from my XT1049 using Forums mobile app

You have underestimated time. This is not a good plan. I recommend you consider a change. Your flight before midnight, requires you to be AT the airport with a 2 hour window, especially on cruise ship days. Check in and security dictate this, and I don't see this changing. Alaska RR is frequently late as well, I've have the run where it wasn't unloading until close to 11p. The luggage claim also isn't a fast process. Add, 20 minutes for the transit to the airport, with hundreds of people in the cab lines.

You have a good chance of missing your flight.

Not sure what your "rushed" comment is? It would be a huge benefit to take the cruise contracted train that leaves around 7am. Very organized and the journey takes you to the airport- where there is luggage storage and the ability to perhaps see some of Anchorage.

BQ has a valid point. Most flights leave Anchorage between 10pm and 1am and the airport is very busy. You need to be at the airport by 10pm for a midnight flight and the train doesn’t arrive at the depot, which is several miles from the airport until 10:15. You can’t reasonably expect to make it to the airport before 11pm.

The kids are also likely to be cranky after a long day in Seward and a four hour train ride.

You have underestimated time. This is not a good plan. I recommend you consider a change. Your flight before midnight, requires you to be AT the airport with a 2 hour window, especially on cruise ship days. Check in and security dictate this, and I don't see this changing. Alaska RR is frequently late as well, I've have the run where it wasn't unloading until close to 11p. The luggage claim also isn't a fast process. Add, 20 minutes for the transit to the airport, with hundreds of people in the cab lines.

You have a good chance of missing your flight

Thanks for this. I just checked (which I did not do before posting last time as I was at work) and our flight leaves at 12:55 am so just before 1:00am and not midnight. I purchased the airfare quite a while ago and was not remembering correctly. Your comment made me have to go verify what I had purchased.

I think we are figuring out what to do in Seward so thanks for the insight and answers. Thanks