First time cruise to Alaska. Can they be informal cruise experiences?

Colin0608

Hi my wife and I are looking to take a cruise to Alaska from Vancouver in 2019 for our 25th wedding anniversary. We’re unsure of the traditional formality of cruising. I’m just starting to research but we’re looking for a relatively informal trip mainly focusing on the opportunity to see scenery and wildlife, rather than for example wearing black tie and evening gown for dinner. Any guidance corrections or recommendations for particular cruise lines or ships would be greatly appreciated.

Of the mass market cruise lines, NCL is the least formal. There are no nights suggesting formal wear. All dining rooms are "your time" meaning there are no set dining times. I think this might be the best option for you.

Celebrity and Holland America also did away with formal nights. They do still have nights where they suggest dressing up, but do not require it.

All cruise lines have a buffet dining area. So if you choose a line that still does formal nights, you still have the option of eating casually in the buffet. It's actually not a bad option. The food isn't bad and the atmosphere is usually pretty nice.

Princess has two formal nights on a 7 day cruise. Tuxedo is NOT required for them. In the MDR, most men have on a jacket, but not all. You can also eat in the buffet (casual) or the specialty restaurants.

Having sailed Alaska many times let me suggest that you first start by looking at all the cruise lines and finding ones that have itineraries the you like and also fit within your budget. You likely will end up with a few choices amongst various cruise lines and then we can help you to choose one that is less formal.

Don't start with the cruise line first. Start with itinerary.

Keith

In our experience, Alaska dining is less formal than other cruises. While Carnival had 2 "formal" nights, there were many people not dressed up. I don't recall seeing any tuxes on that cruise, or even our Caribbean ones recently. We did on our European one (but maybe like 1-2 people). Like others said, start with an itinerary that you want to see and go from there.

Of the mass market cruise lines, NCL is the least formal. There are no nights suggesting formal wear. All dining rooms are "your time" meaning there are no set dining times. I think this might be the best option for you.

Celebrity and Holland America also did away with formal nights. They do still have nights where they suggest dressing up, but do not require it.

All cruise lines have a buffet dining area. So if you choose a line that still does formal nights, you still have the option of eating casually in the buffet. It's actually not a bad option. The food isn't bad and the atmosphere is usually pretty nice.

OP: If you're used to staying in better hotels and doing fine dining, you should look at NCL's upper scale premium sister line Oceania. No formal nights (always "country club casual") with what many professional travel reviewers (e.g., Condé Nast Traveler) consider "the best food at sea." Also, rather than a "buffet," Oceania Ships have the Terrace Café with food served by galley staff (no self serve) and the option of al fresco dining and/or "a la minute" preparations.

BTW, when comparing lines, don't just consider cabin price. Look at "net daily rate" for all anticipated costs (e.g., Oceania's cabin price includes air fare/air credit, beverages, internet, all specialty restaurants, AND a choice of excursions, booze or OBC).

Since you're looking at Alaska, know that Oceania Regatta only has 670 passengers and is small enough to get up close and personal with the Hubbard Glacier.

Some folks on CC will often say pick itinerary over cruise ship. IMO, that's backwards. First establish what are your preferred expectations for food, service and cabin amenities as well as dress code, smoking restrictions and "net daily rate" (after all, this is your home away from home). That preliminary work will provide you with a list of acceptable cruise experiences from which you can select the line that has your desired itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Having sailed Alaska many times let me suggest that you first start by looking at all the cruise lines and finding ones that have itineraries the you like and also fit within your budget. You likely will end up with a few choices amongst various cruise lines and then we can help you to choose one that is less formal.

Don't start with the cruise line first. Start with itinerary.

Keith

Look at itinerary first as Keith is recommending. Much more important in Alaska. And time in ports.

If you are on a cruiseline that actually still has "formal" wear for a few dinners (not sure if they exist anymore), you can eat in the buffet.

Alaska is great and has nothing to do with the cruise lines. Alaska forum will have great info on itinerary and excursions. Good luck

Watch youtube videos of the cruise line and of the cruise you want to take.

If you watch these vacation videos from other peoples perspectives, you can see what others are wearing and have a better idea of what is expected.

For example from HAL

or Princess

or Carnival

First decide what ports you want to visit. Be sure to include an itinerary that has Glacier Bay. Not all cruise lines have permits to go there. HAL and Princess have the most permits.

Also check the length of time you are in the ports -- that is also important to us.

As for HAL -- no formal nights -- just Gala nights -- 2 on a 7 day cruise. You will see the majority of the men wearing slacks and a collared shirt in the MDR as well as in the specialty restaurants. Ladies wear nice slacks and tops or dresses. Rarely in the last few years have we seen people dressed in tuxedos, etc., especially in Alaska.

The only line that still has really formal nights and enforces them is Cunard, and they don’t sail Alaska. Any other line will do. EM

If all that is on your radar is "three hots and a cot," perhaps "any line" will do. If, however, your travel preferences are even slightly more exclusive, the choice of ship can mean the difference between a poor and great experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The only line that still has really formal nights and enforces them is Cunard, and they don’t sail Alaska. Any other line will do. EM

Yeah, even Princess, which kind of rides on it's Britishness, has gotten super relaxed on their dress codes. They still have the dress codes, but now it seems it's more there for tradition and because certain people like that whole dressing up and choose them for it. The enforcement is pretty spotty, but I'd check the Princess section of Cruise Critic to see recent updates.

But, like others have said, it's easy to avoid on those two nights (of a 7 day trip). I really wouldn't avoid cruising with anyone due to perceived dress codes. It's pretty relaxed in Alaska.

Our first time to Alaska was on a Royal Caribbean ship and I was quite surprised at how overdressed we were in comparison to other cruisers. On our second cruise there, we left all of that formal stuff at home. No need to wear.

Hi. Thanks all for the replies which are really useful. Of course we dress smartly for dinner, we like to, but now we know it needn’t be formal, so can crack on with looking at ships and itineraries. Thanks again.

Well, except for May/June 2019 when Queen Elizabeth will do a short series of 10 day Vancouver-Alaska round trips (not that I'd recommend QE to Alaska as a first cruise experience...).

Just did our first Alaskan cruise on HAL - saw only one tuxedo but they also allowed a man to go back to his stateroom to change his t-shirt out for a collared shirt, then allowed him back in with jeans and sneakers on the first Gala night. Most other evenings I saw jeans and polo shirts in the MDR

Hi my wife and I are looking to take a cruise to Alaska from Vancouver in 2019 for our 25th wedding anniversary. We’re unsure of the traditional formality of cruising. I’m just starting to research but we’re looking for a relatively informal trip mainly focusing on the opportunity to see scenery and wildlife, rather than for example wearing black tie and evening gown for dinner. Any guidance corrections or recommendations for particular cruise lines or ships would be greatly appreciated.

As you are not a prior cruiser and as it is a big trip and special occassion I would recommend you consult and book through an experienced local travel agent - someone familiar with cruising and who can answer your questions and help you decide what is most important to you.

Check itineraries and ports, and compare number of ports and hours in port. You can choose between round trip to and from Vancouver, or one way. Each offers different stops. Princess for example also offers for the one way cruise a land based add on in Alaska to extend your time there either before or after your cruise.

Have fun planning!

Go on YouTube and watch some videos of people on Alaska cruises and you will be hard put to find many people in black tie and evening gowns. Generally it is country club casual, with some (not most) stepping up to sports jackets (and the occasional suit) and dressy tops on the 'formal' nights.

On our first Alaska cruise, I was surprised at the amount of flannel and denim everywhere. Dinning room usually has men in clean, neat buttoned shirts and slacks will do fine. Dress shirt and tie will do for formal night. The whole dress thing is only obvious in the main dinning rooms. Many other options to go on formal night(s)