Carriibean cruise advice

Hsmama

Ok...I'd like to plan another cruise (1st one Alaska last year) and thinking Carribean sounds so nice, but I'm trying to avoid 'party boats'...I really enjoyed the quiet calm of a Holland America cruise to AK,any suggestions? I keep 'hearing' Carnival is the party line..... but is that blanket statement true? any times of year (other than obvious spring break) to avoid? I guess there are lots of opinions,and I'm open to any cruise line with a good deal and itinerary we like- as long as it's not a crazy noisy ship experience we can't escape from. (FWIW, we're middle aged,but I enjoy the 'older' crowd b/c of the calmer vibe)

I would suggest avoiding anytime most children would be out of school. If you were happy with Holland America they have some of the best Caribbean itineraries. I would also consider Princess as well as our personal favorite, Celebrity. All three tend to attract a similar demographic. On Celebrity we never have an issue finding quiet spots.

Carnival will have a much younger crowd then Holland America.

Another line to check out would be Celebrity. I prefer Celebrity over Princess but certainly look at Princess as well.

I would start with these two lines and also Holland since you enjoyed that line.

Keith

Even on the cruise lines that are thought to be full of partiers, you would be surprised at the demographic of the guests on a longer cruise. On our recent 13 & 14 day cruises on Carnival, we decided that those onboard who didn't have gray or white hair were coloring it - or had none at all... People are clamoring for more varied itineraries and Carnival has listened and runs one-off cruises that they call Journeys, most often to the Panama Canal for a partial transit. They are longer than a week - 8-14 days and attract Carnival regulars in the higher loyalty levels, who run a bit older. Just wish the cruise director/entertainment director would take that in mind when setting up the schedule...EM

thanks- I'll start looking at those! What about Royal Carribean..... mistake?

Hsmama,I would pass on it based on what you said.

The guests will range depending on which ship you would sail with them but in general a younger crowd.

Keith

I agree with Keith. Anything longer than 7 days will have a lot less kids. But in general, Royal is like a lot nicer Carnival.

HAL is definitely more quiet with fewer activities (which DW and I enjoy but not so much with our teenage children). Royal Caribbean larger ships definitely have more activities and action which teenage enjoy more.

Any short cruise, 2-4 day, is going to have a fair amount of partying since these are the cheaper cruises. We have only been on Royal Caribbean. We have been on a 6 day and a 7 day with an upcoming 8 day. We have never had an issue with a lot of party goers or too much noise.

what is the general thinking on NCL? I'm looking at some bargains here..... the ships look amazing

NCL's newer ships are some of the most crowded and chaotic ships at sea. Quiet and calm are 2 words I would never use to describe NCL.

The 3 lines I recommend for you in the Caribbean...in this order...are Celebrity, Holland America and Princess.

• 2 weeks later...