July or Sept - Alaska, Land & Sea

lee8553

:oApologies in advance. I'm about to ask a question, about which I have seen many posts, but having gone back & forward between them, meantime forgetting what the previous said, I am quite frankly getting dizzy & thought it easier to post with my exact circumstances.

I am hoping to do an 7 night Alaskan cruise followed by about a week on land. Due to other commitments I have 2 specific periods in which I can travel, cruise 1st / 2nd week of July + land tour after or alternatively begin the cruise between 24 Aug - 5 Sept followed by the land portion, the dates are quie wide as I'm looking at several cruise lines, none of which I've previously used. By looking at charts, I can see that July is likely to be a fare bit warmer than Sept (although I do realise the weather is very changeable & unpredictable) & last years weather showed more rain days in Sept. I do quite like the idea of the autumn colours I'd get in the latter period (& the possibility of Aurora Borealis), but is this too much of a trade off. One thing I do want to do is a bear watching trip, which I believe is possible either period. Are there any other aspects I should be taking into consideration?

Thanks in advance for any advice. :cool:

We wondered the same thing for our upcoming cruise. We chose July 13th on the Radiance of the Seas Northbound & Hubbard Glacier then 3 night post cruisetour. We own our own business and counting the day before travel up (Vancouver) and the day after to come home, 12 days was all I could squeeze in until we retire. I am still HOPEFUL that we can get a glimpse of the Aurora. I have an app on my phone that gives to probability to see it and where.

We wondered the same thing for our upcoming cruise. We chose July 13th on the Radiance of the Seas Northbound & Hubbard Glacier then 3 night post cruisetour. We own our own business and counting the day before travel up (Vancouver) and the day after to come home, 12 days was all I could squeeze in until we retire. I am still HOPEFUL that we can get a glimpse of the Aurora. I have an app on my phone that gives to probability to see it and where.

I believe you need at least astronomical twilight or darker in order to see northern lights. So you might see them, if they're really strong, the first couple nights of your cruise (but there is only a couple of hours of a window, 1:30 -3:30 am approx.). Once you hit mainland Alaska, you are out of luck. We don't have astronomical twilight in Anchorage from May 7-August 6. In Fairbanks, it's April 25-August 17.

I believe you need at least astronomical twilight or darker in order to see northern lights. So you might see them, if they're really strong, the first couple nights of your cruise (but there is only a couple of hours of a window, 1:30 -3:30 am approx.). Once you hit mainland Alaska, you are out of luck. We don't have astronomical twilight in Anchorage from May 7-August 6. In Fairbanks, it's April 25-August 17.

I figure we won't see them; however, I will make sure that I check during those times just in case! May just have to go back during a good viewing months.