Where do you keep documents when on an excursion?

new2cruisin2018

When I’m on a snorkeling trip, I assume the boat operator wants to stay in business and won’t be looking through my belongings while we’re in the water.

I take only a small amount of cash, one credit card, ship card and driver’s license.

We also have a small waterproof snorkel case for swimming from shore, which could be used on your excursions.

All you need on shore in terms of ID is your ship's SeaPass card (or whatever your cruise line calls it) and sometimes a picture ID such as a drivers license. You will be advised prior to disembarkation if that ID is necessary. Everything else stays on board in your room safe.

You only need your ship's card (and possibly DL....do NOT bring BC's off the ship!) If you're on an excursion vehicle, like a boat, the stuff stays on the boat while you're in the water. If you're at the beach, either you take turns watching your "stuff" or don't bring a bunch of stuff!

You ship's key, credit card, DL and even cash CAN get wet. Hubby can put them in a velcro pocket in his swim trunks! No need to bring a phone if you're on an excursion. If you're out on your own, then you will have to weigh the potential benefit vs. the hassle of the phone. Don't plan on using your phone for the time...get a cheap watch, as a phone will show local time...which is not necessarily the SHIP'S time!

This will be our first cruise and plan to go to Magens bay at 1 port and a snorkel trip at another. Where do you keep your I.D.'s, passports, kids birth certificates, phones etc. when doing these excursions?

Buy a waterproof phone case (example) https://smile.amazon.com/Waterproof-Phone-Pouch-Universal-Cell/dp/B072Q6RZSS/

You can put your cards and phone in there. These run $25 on the ship. Much cheaper from amazon. I used one on a float trip, got dumped in the water, phone and everything stayed dry.

When I’m on a snorkeling trip, I assume the boat operator wants to stay in business and won’t be looking through my belongings while we’re in the water.

That’s fine if it’s a private trip; but most tours I’ve taken have multiple groups of guests on them that come and go from the boat. Nothing to stop them from going in your bags.

I leave birth certificates at home. Passports on the ship. I carry a waterproof case for drivers license, cash, and a credit card and tuck it under my life jacket. I also have a waterproof camera I bring for water excursions so I can keep that on me. I only bring a phone if someone from my group will be staying with the bags. Otherwise I leave it on the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Laminated copy of our passport page and insurance details are all we take ashore, as suggested by one captain.

We take a scan of our passport page, insurance, credit card (front and back), DL and e-mail it to ourself. Should something happen, we always have the information. Passport, BC and one emergency credit card never leave the ship. They stay in the safe.

Passports/BC stays in stateroom safe

Purchased a Witz Surfsafe case years ago - ship's card, ID, cash and credit card is in it around my neck or in my Velcro swim suit pocket.

Even when I am not on a beach/snorkeling/water excursion, I carry all that round my neck under my shirt.....