Azamara information Vietnam and Thailand ports

uktog

Despite the little blips I highlighted on the other thread we had a great time and along the way we gathered over 1000 photos and brought back lots of information. So a series of posts will follow and where I can I will answer queries. Bear in mind drop off points can change but it gives you an idea.

Our first stop was the magnificent Halong Bay. Photos cannot do it justice. We had an overnight and used our other day for a wander around Hoi Gan. We loved the local market even the smells. It was a great way to start in Vietnam. The shuttle stopped by a larger western mall. A good landmark for navigating but not somewhere we ventured into, we preferred the local places even if the items on sale were unusual.

We used the ships excursion into the bay, it worked well for us and with only 18 on our boat which seemed to be the norm it was easy to get photo space

Shuttle Information

16de2eba0b9f0c51f1103b6e885680af.jpg

Halong Bay

9964c019cc40cc5ac9c6cd7450bcb6a1.jpg

The local market sights 8629cdc012d728698ab5b230e530a840.jpg

Maybe not the best place to do your last minute shopping on Christmas morning

881477635c9db803683fbc60263d712e.jpg

29d4f6134b9cf52fc88626b4e6c2e146.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Da Nang

The shuttle information

b9ed6921be4817d59840237deb40f346.jpg

I did not go into Da Nang. DH did as his cycle tour was cancelled due to muddy roads. He said it was ok for a walk by the river but not much more.

I enjoyed the Hoi An on your own trip with a friend. It was good. We had an informative guide en route and lots of free time. The meeting point beside the bridge at the end of the time was easy to find.

c69ced1a19581e76e95910b30f681a8b.jpg

I just love those lanterns even in the rain

71ddf38e833621a8ea499c2c3a26066b.jpg

Meeting point is to the right

20a6ffe770759944b2de7598a0d3bf0a.jpg

Next day we did the longer trip to Hue. Well worth the ride not only do you see Hue you also see so much of the rural life enroute.

8ff27f7bf8feccc6ac3d9b7cec3c0152.jpg

Ho Chi Minh

Shuttle information 83343c36b356e0fed8625c10b3de9bc3.jpg

What can we say about the bustle of this amazing city other than have courage go in you can cross the streets and there is so much to see. Our trip on our own did not include the Palace as we’d been before. We only ventured around the Rex Hotel and the local market but loved it d882bab08e2dfeef8fe4eec864cebc52.jpg

If only I knew how much silk I needed for that dress.....

2fb43f4d1a287e6e78e0e1ea6919c6a0.jpg

Our Azamazing was in Ho Chi Minh. - here is one shot to wet your appetite if this is offered to you

ec3ade72dcef098d7a7e1971d0885b80.jpg

Next day we went on the Mekong delta tour. Again a good chance to see out of town. If you have a non bending knee getting in and out the boats is tricky but the guides were brilliant and everyone made it

23df924a210889bc8c47eb132813e500.jpg

Bangkok

Shuttle information

797737e9de42d250a721542fcaf0ab03.jpg

We are not mall shoppers so didn’t use the shuttle day 1 as we arrived pm.

Day 2 again an out of town tour to The Summer Palace. A really good adventure far better than we imagined -dh cheeky says saved him a Siem Riep trip - in his dreams that stays on the bucket list!

f20961112f7840e45fee2a527c4b77e3.jpg

39d84f9e4c471115dc57342249df90f0.jpg

Next day we did the Ancient City by tram through the ship. If you want to get great Buddha and temple pictures but want to avoid crowds and walking this replica place is for you. It’s where they sometimes do Azamazing evenings. The replicas are fantastic and it’s a beautiful uncrowded place.

30337fdf957199659b9e1f7e540a2a27.jpg

8d14ba5ce743ea225223d84894a32c30.jpg

a8c8412c0033f354024a4905b0d635cd.jpg

Kho Samhui and going home

Ok Kho Samhui. It’s local tenders and the ships safety officers are constantly doing their nut on the tender dock. The tender drops you by the town and lots of tour operators are offering local boat or taxi rides. Azamara is only there a few hours so timing is tight.

We did a ships tour to a resort for peace of mind. It was expensive but included a select your ingredients cooked for you most amazing Thai curry

5e4b08616f628d1adadeb0c38fabf21c.jpg

And a beautiful beach setting

03728f15b0267a4418690259edc5a626.jpg

Ok going home

These were the options. We didn’t use any as we were staying on Sentosa Island. We did enquire about the private car. They were flat rate $130 US wherever you went. We got a spacious local taxi for SG$15 / about $10 US. To be honest we didn’t know how much the taxi would be but were glad we went down that option. We had two large cases two carryon cases and s hold-all and were led to believe this would not work in a taxi and needed a car. Not true!

e9954c47d58d3b960c4863f1a8cc7644.jpg

One final pic. People often ask about the dining package here was the flier for our trip

f1b6436081d0a1af62bbf46853f58aa9.jpg

Great review we were on the previous cruise and hoped you did not get the high waves we had.

We took a private 8 hour Halong junk tour with 10 CC people with Indochina and they took us deep into the bay.

It was amazing with gourmet meal.

We too were on the previous cruise, but your photos are WAY better than ours! Just an FYI for future cruisers- we had no Azamara shuttles in Halong Bay. We walked to the Vincom Center mall (took a good half hour, as I recall, but enjoyed the beautiful views along the way...)

Thank you for the pictures. We are doing the 15-day Singapore to HK on the Quest in October 2019 and can't wait. Probably doing an overnight on a junk in Halong Bay. That place looks beautiful.

The only reason we did not do an overnight was it was Christmas Day and we wanted to enjoy some of the shipboard celebrations. We are hoping to go back into that region again in a couple of years, it was our second day trip on the bay and yes an overnight is our "must" next time as we would love to see sunrise and sunset inside the bay. We saw sunrise on the fringes of the bay as we sailed in on Christmas morning and that was magical even though it wasn't clear skies.

The only reason we did not do an overnight was it was Christmas Day and we wanted to enjoy some of the shipboard celebrations. We are hoping to go back into that region again in a couple of years, it was our second day trip on the bay and yes an overnight is our "must" next time as we would love to see sunrise and sunset inside the bay. We saw sunrise on the fringes of the bay as we sailed in on Christmas morning and that was magical even though it wasn't clear skies.

If the time you had was as great as your photos, you did just fine. :cool: We have a 21-month wait. I hope late October isn't too hot there, but I can't go January through April because of work.

If the time you had was as great as your photos, you did just fine. :cool: We have a 21-month wait. I hope late October isn't too hot there, but I can't go January through April because of work.

We travelled last November /December and the heat wasn't a problem. We found it fine away long as you had a hat and protection against the sun.

• 7 months later...

I noticed that the Hoi An on your own excursion is 9:30 am to 3:30 pm. I would think that means you arrive in Hoi An a little bit before 10:30 and leave a little after 2:30 pm. That's barely four hours. Since our time in port is 8:30 am to 8:00 pm, I would want to spend more time there and even take a cooking class. Are there taxis at the port or can someone recommend a car service? Thanks.

I noticed that the Hoi An on your own excursion is 9:30 am to 3:30 pm. I would think that means you arrive in Hoi An a little bit before 10:30 and leave a little after 2:30 pm. That's barely four hours. Since our time in port is 8:30 am to 8:00 pm, I would want to spend more time there and even take a cooking class. Are there taxis at the port or can someone recommend a car service? Thanks.

Found a highly rated private service on TripAdvisor - $65 round trip, so we're good. Really looking forward to this port after originally focusing more on Hong Kong, Saigon, and Bangkok.