Flying into MIami cruising out of Port Everglades

MEcruisin

We are (2) married adults aged 48. Flying into Miami on Thursday 11/29/18 at 7pm. We are going to try to have a relaxing non-driving vacation. Looking for suggestions or opinions on a hotel for Thursday 11/29 night. We are planning on doing Zoo Miami on Friday 11/30. This hotel needs to be near metro or bus and in safe neighborhood with restaurants/stores nearby & under $179.

Then after the zoo on Friday we are going to either Metro rail/Tri Rail or Brightline up to the Dania beach/Hollywood/ft lauderdale area for Friday night & Saturday night. Looking for options for hotels in these areas as well same guidelines as previously listed. Cruising Conquest on Sunday 12/2/18 port Everglades. Thank you for any ideas/tips/suggestions

opinions/reviews.

You want a non-driving "relaxing" vacation by taking buses in Miami? Oh my..... Lol.

I'm not sure anyone here is going to do the leg work for you figuring out the bus routes and hotels. Just look it up on Google and find a hotel that has a bus that works for you.

I don't think you understand what you are getting in to....

Taking the bus to Metro Zoo sounds like something a court would sentence on a horrible criminal.

If you want a non-driving vacation, don't plan on visiting the zoo.

Your guidelines are tough for that time of year on price, and you want to be close to metrorail.

You also won't save much time nor money taking the train to Broward. Because then you need to get to your hotel from the train station.

Mass transit is not great here. This is not NYC or D.C.

Many many years ago there was direct bus service from Dadeland South Metrorail Station to ZooMiami (then MetroZoo). Like every other attempt to get people out of their cars it was little used. South Florida is definitely one of the most car-dependent areas of the country. And as for current public transportation to ZooMiami, the news is not good:

Public Transportation

Zoo Bus: For schedules and fares, call Miami-Dade Transit at 305-770-3131 or click here.

Update: As of July 2016, the bus no longer stops at the zoo's main entrance during weekdays. The closest bus stop is on SW 124 Avenue and 152 Street, which is 2 miles (40 minutes) from the main entrance one way. Please contact us at 305-251-0400, ext. 0 or 5084950 between the hours of 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. for a complimentary ride to the entrance. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience and understanding.

Miami-Dade Transit will be restoring public bus service into the Zoo on weekends and the six major holidays starting Sunday, November 20th. The service, via bus route 252, will be hourly between approximately 9am and 6pm. The six major holidays are New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.

https://www.zoomiami.org/plan-your-visit

If you are still adamant about not renting a car and staying under budget, you could probably find a hotel in the MIA airport area. You can take their airport shuttle (assuming the hotel allows multiple trips, not just when checking in and out) back to the terminal and ride the monorail to the Transportation Center where you can catch Metrorail and Tri-Rail. Though even for budget airport hotels you will not find one in an area suited for walking to stores and restaurants for that low a rate.

I’m stressed just reading about taking buses/metro rail/tri rail in South Florida. I lived in Miami and I respectfully discourage you from using their public transportation system to move around, unless your goal is to sabotage the relaxation that you’re seeking.

As others recommended, Uber/Lyft is a great choice to move around. Not only is it quick and efficient, but also affordable. We used it extensively on our last cruise out of Miami and it was a great choice. Stress free.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Living near Zoo Miami, it is next to improbable for you to go from Miami Airport to South Miami to Dania Beach by bus or our Metrorail.. Especially wanting a relaxing few days before sailing. To do your itinerary, my suggestion when you fly in to Miami, use Lyft,

Uber, or Taxi to take you to a hotel near zoo miami. There is a Holiday Inn less than 2 miles from the zoo in Kendall. After finishing the zoo,(are you carrying your luggage with you)? If not, you could Uber back to Hotel where there is Dadeland Mall nearby (which is a large international mall) to walk around. (Metrorail is nearby, BUT does not go to ft lauderdale,) Next day take Lyft or Uber to Ft Lauderdale to a Hotel near Port Everglades.( A lot of those hotels will have shuttle service to the port.) That is a 45 minute drive by car. That should be more relaxing than trying to take buses. Enjoy your cruise.

Brightline is efficient, but there’s not a whole lot touristy near the Fort Lauderdale station (and much less near the TriRail satiation in Fort Laudedale). Your price point is also going to be challenging- you are in season and over a weekend.

As others have said, rent a car or use uber/lift.

Good luck and have fun!

Easy to get to the zoo with Metrorail and Bus 252.Trolley are also an excellent way to move around Miami, Miami Beach or Hollywood.

Anyway, now that you have a rental car, you'll be free to enjoy Miami traffic at your convenience.

As you'll be flying in pretty late, you might want to save money and spend your first night near the airport.

Then, I would recommend Hollywood. Beach is nice, many restaurant options and only 10 minutes to Port Everglades. Circ Hotel is brand new and offer attractive rates (around $120). Olivia restaurant is the hottest spot in Hollywood right now, impossible to get a table on Friday or Saturday without reservation. Rooftop bar next to the pool is pretty nice too.

Easy to get to the zoo with Metrorail and Bus 252.Trolley are also an excellent way to move around Miami, Miami Beach or Hollywood.

Anyway, now that you have a rental car, you'll be free to enjoy Miami traffic at your convenience.

As you'll be flying in pretty late, you might want to save money and spend your first night near the airport.

Then, I would recommend Hollywood. Beach is nice, many restaurant options and only 10 minutes to Port Everglades. Circ Hotel is brand new and offer attractive rates (around $120). Olivia restaurant is the hottest spot in Hollywood right now, impossible to get a table on Friday or Saturday without reservation. Rooftop bar next to the pool is pretty nice too.

You must be affiliated with this hotel. You weave it in to just about every post. Zoo Miami? Oh, circ hotel in Hollywood!

You must be affiliated with this hotel. You weave it in to just about every post. Zoo Miami? Oh, circ hotel in Hollywood!

I was a bit dumbfounded about that recommendation. I used to live in Hollywood and it’s a good 1 hour drive from there to the Zoo.

I was a bit dumbfounded about that recommendation. I used to live in Hollywood and it’s a good 1 hour drive from there to the Zoo.

Me too. Royal Poinciana...! The hood. I saw young circle totally transform.

Just read the original post. These people are looking for a hotel to spend 2 nights after their visit to the zoo. And yes, it happens to be nice and not far from Port Everglades. I had the chance to stay there. Have you?

Just read the original post. These people are also looking for a hotel to spend 2 nights after their visit to the zoo.