Changing dining time

Yes, it is very easy to get your dining time changed.

If in concierge, as above post, it is an automatic yes when you request it. But, as for most things, the rules in concierge are different that for regular cabins. Just like the rules in the Walt and Roy suites are different than in the rest of concierge. So that doesn't help OP.

Since OP has a medical need, contact the special needs office, put it in a a medical request, and it will happen. And somewhere, I have that person's name and phone number....You don't need the phone number--just call DCL during the day and tell them you need to speak to the special needs office about a medical condition...or do it on line.

For people who just have a preference, not a medical need, ask to be waitlisted for main (early). Then call every few weeks till your cruise till they move you. If you still haven't been moved by embarkation time, go to "dining changes" after boarding and see if you can be moved.

It is a common misconception that they fill main seating first and then late. That is NOT true. They have many more people who want early, so the default is set for late. You have to ask for early to get it. Basically they alternate families with the goal of keeping the two seatings about equal in number. So, if they have just let two families into early, they will tell you that it isn't available at this time. It could be available in 15 minutes, and it only takes one CM to decide to move you while you are on the phone! Yeah, I know, they are supposed to wait and work the wait list, but that also isn't always the way it happens.

Most of the time, requests can be met thru normal (non medical) channels. BUT...the Dream is the worst ship for that as it sails with more first timers who don't appreciate the benefits of late dining than the other ships do!

Edited by moki'smommy

Thank you for all of your replies. I have contacted Special Needs and was told that I am waitlisted for early dining. I have also called DCL customer service in the hopes of getting it changed on the phone, but was basically told that have a medical condition (diabetes) does not put you any higher on the waitlist. I guess we'll have to wait and see if it gets changed or go on the ship to where we can get it changed. I am Platinum on both Disney and Carnival and have never had a problem getting my dining changed for a medical reason so I do not know why this is different.

Thank you for all of your replies. I have contacted Special Needs and was told that I am waitlisted for early dining. I have also called DCL customer service in the hopes of getting it changed on the phone, but was basically told that have a medical condition (diabetes) does not put you any higher on the waitlist. I guess we'll have to wait and see if it gets changed or go on the ship to where we can get it changed. I am Platinum on both Disney and Carnival and have never had a problem getting my dining changed for a medical reason so I do not know why this is different.

Early dining always fills up first. As a Platinum member you had the opportunity to guarantee early dining by booking your selections earlier than most of the other cruisers. Since you booked late outside of your window you are now no different than a first time cruiser for booking options. Your best bet is to go to the dining room noted in the Navigator (usually Animator's Palate at 1:00} and see if they can squeeze you in, but remember there will be many more people trying to do the same thing.

I always book early dining and I always get it, but I also always book cruises when first open up over a year in advance. Hopefully, they can help you, but your back up plan would be to eat dinner at Cabanas. It's a sit down dinner with servers, but it's not open on the first and last day of the cruise for dinner.

Wow, they are getting really snitty. I called several months ago about another special needs issue, not diet related. After the special needs office checked with the ship, they came back with the answer "Probably, but it will ultimately be up to housekeeping on the ship." Yeah, we didn't book that cruise. "Probably" isn't good enough in medical situations!

Wow' date=' they are getting really snitty. I called several months ago about another special needs issue, not diet related. After the special needs office checked with the ship, they came back with the answer "Probably, but it will ultimately be up to housekeeping on the ship." Yeah, we didn't book that cruise. "Probably" isn't good enough in medical situations![/quote']

I'm wondering if floridacruiser asked the person answering the phone, or one of the actual special needs people.

As we know, the first line of phone answering CMs don't always have the answer.

I'd suggest another call, and, maybe, ask to speak to the supervisor in special needs.

I can see how it could have worked either way...and we don't know who specifically they spoke with, although floridacruizer says they talked with "special needs."

Bottom line, there are alternatives that can work should they not get moved to main seating. They can get a "healthy snack" from room service and eat at late dinner. They can eat at Cabanas on the nights it is open and then sit at the table with the rest of the family during late seating if they still want the dining room experience.

Most people who have known they are diabetic for a while become very good at adjusting medication and meal times; less experienced people may not be comfortable doing this.

None of these are optimal though and Disney/DCL used to be better at meeting medical needs.

Since we are talking times early/ late what are the times? Does is vary from ship to ship? First timer and a friend booked everything.

NORMALLY, main (early) is 5:45 and late is 8:15. We have seen minor variations, particularly on some European cruises that may have late port times. We choose late for many reasons, but combine it with a "healthy snack" at about 4pm. Remember that this is the time you can be seated in the dining room, not the time that your food will be in front of you.

NORMALLY' date=' main (early) is 5:45 and late is 8:15. We have seen minor variations, particularly on some European cruises that may have late port times. We choose late for many reasons, but combine it with a "healthy snack" at about 4pm. Remember that this is the time you can be seated in the dining room, not the time that your food will be in front of you.[/quote']

Thanks for the info. Going on a transatlantic in Sept. so at least I have an idea of the dining times. Hope you don't mind asking but where does one find a "healthy snack" around 4 pm? First timer on a Disney cruise and appreciate any help. I have been following this board and finding a wealth of info.

Thanks for the info. Going on a transatlantic in Sept. so at least I have an idea of the dining times. Hope you don't mind asking but where does one find a "healthy snack" around 4 pm? First timer on a Disney cruise and appreciate any help. I have been following this board and finding a wealth of info.

One of the fast food locations on the pool deck has wraps, salads, paninis, and such. They are small, and just enough so you are not starving before dinner. You can also take some yogurt from the buffet at breakfast and store it in your fridge or order something from room service. Room service has sandwiches and similar items. They used to have a very good, not too spicy chili, and they had a couple of soups. The down side to room service is that it will take 20-30 minutes to arrive.

Another alternative is to eat dinner in Cabanas if you are hungry well before dinner time. We discovered this when we returned from a late excursion on a Med cruise...missed our "snack" and were hungry with more than an hour till dinner. Cabanas was lovely with great service, better food than in the MDR, and a view of the sunset! And since we were on a 24 night cruise, we really didn't mind missing the MDR once.

We LOVE transatlantic cruises--enjoy!

Since we are talking times early/ late what are the times? Does is vary from ship to ship? First timer and a friend booked everything.

ETski. We're on that cruise too. Have you found the meet group on a popular social media site?