First MSC and Mediterranean cruise - good itinerary?

familycruzer

I am by no means an expert as many of the fine regulars on this forum actually live across the pond. But I have been fortunate enough to travel to Europe multiple times. You asked for my thoughts, so here goes....

Is it at all possible for you to extend your time in Europe? I always recommend a minimum of 2 weeks. I know that isn't always possible, but I've never done anything less than a 10 day cruise when traveling to Europe because you get so much more by extending the dates. It's more costly of course, but if this is a bucket list trip there are multiple itineraries that hit all 5 of your desired ports.

Here is a sample of a 10 day on another cruise line that hits all 5 of the ports you've mentioned. Personally, the cruise line/ship matter very little to me when selecting a European voyage and ports and port times are significantly the most important. Based on the little I know about your group, this NCL itinerary hits all 5 ports you have mentioned: Venice; Split, Croatia; Kotor, Montenegro; Corfu, Greece; Santorini, Greece; Piraeus (Athens); Mykonos, Greece; Argostoli, Greece; Dubrovnik, Croatia, Venice.

To complicate the choices further, I would personally recommend an open jaw itinerary over a closed loop in Europe. It's simply the best way to see the most in the least amount of time. I would hold firm that your cruise should end in Venice (if you start in Venice that's fine too, but I prefer ending in Venice because it's the crown jewel). If you have never traveled to Europe and aren't likely to return anytime soon, starting in Barcelona or Rome and ending in Venice will give you many more of the the iconic Med. highlights.

If you can't extend your trip (and if there is any way you can I reeeeaaaallllly suggest it), then what I'd do is prioritize ports first and find a line that includes the most important places. IMO, any cruise line will do for Europe, it's the ports that matter.

As another Europe newbie - this is very helpful! I do have NCL on my list along with about 4 other lines - pretty well terrorizing myself with choices so the advice of experienced European cruisers is really appreciated. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am by no means an expert as many of the fine regulars on this forum actually live across the pond. But I have been fortunate enough to travel to Europe multiple times. You asked for my thoughts, so here goes....

Is it at all possible for you to extend your time in Europe? I always recommend a minimum of 2 weeks. I know that isn't always possible, but I've never done anything less than a 10 day cruise when traveling to Europe because you get so much more by extending the dates. It's more costly of course, but if this is a bucket list trip there are multiple itineraries that hit all 5 of your desired ports.

Here is a sample of a 10 day on another cruise line that hits all 5 of the ports you've mentioned. Personally, the cruise line/ship matter very little to me when selecting a European voyage and ports and port times are significantly the most important. Based on the little I know about your group, this NCL itinerary hits all 5 ports you have mentioned: Venice; Split, Croatia; Kotor, Montenegro; Corfu, Greece; Santorini, Greece; Piraeus (Athens); Mykonos, Greece; Argostoli, Greece; Dubrovnik, Croatia, Venice.

To complicate the choices further, I would personally recommend an open jaw itinerary over a closed loop in Europe. It's simply the best way to see the most in the least amount of time. I would hold firm that your cruise should end in Venice (if you start in Venice that's fine too, but I prefer ending in Venice because it's the crown jewel). If you have never traveled to Europe and aren't likely to return anytime soon, starting in Barcelona or Rome and ending in Venice will give you many more of the the iconic Med. highlights.

If you can't extend your trip (and if there is any way you can I reeeeaaaallllly suggest it), then what I'd do is prioritize ports first and find a line that includes the most important places. IMO, any cruise line will do for Europe, it's the ports that matter.

Thank you! That is VERY helpful.....a few extra days is not a problem.....just have to find dates that fit our schedules. I think I was limiting my results because I searched 6-8 days. Thanks again for taking the time to respond and I will be spending more time looking at all the possibilities. Even though we have been in Europe many times never on a cruise. Sometimes you just need to do things while you can.

I was also only looking at 7 night cruises so I might extend my search options. I am hoping to get 12 days with travel time but was hoping for at least one day in Venice and one in Paris.

In all cities you can book a free walking tour. Just google free walking tours for whatever city. We did one in Venice and it was very informative. The boat tour in Paris is amazing. You can see most of the famous sites from it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We either miss Dubrovnik and Mykonos on one itinerary or we miss Santorini and Kotor on the other.

I understand it is going to take at least a couple of cruises to cover most of what we want to see, just can't decide what to do first. Sarande, haven't been but doesn't strike me as something I want to do right now, and based on the cruises available during the time we can go, there really isn't anything else close to what we would like

Most of the people on board will take the cruise because of Sarande. It is new and the big draw. But anyway you need to take two cruises to get Dubrovnik, Mykonos, Santorini and Kotor. At least Dubrovnik, Santorini and Kotor alone are worth a cruise.

Glad I could help :). Please come back and tell me what you decide upon. I get excited for other people too :).

I would also reiterate about the free walking tours in each of the big cities. We usually do one a day in each city, sometimes two in a day. We really enjoy them and you only pay what you think the guide earned. In Venice we did 4 walking tours, each an entirely different part of the city.

Looking forward to hearing what everyone decides upon :)

Glad I could help :). Please come back and tell me what you decide upon. I get excited for other people too :).

I would also reiterate about the free walking tours in each of the big cities. We usually do one a day in each city, sometimes two in a day. We really enjoy them and you only pay what you think the guide earned. In Venice we did 4 walking tours, each an entirely different part of the city.

Looking forward to hearing what everyone decides upon :)

After giving serious thought to the 10 day itinerary on the other cruise line we decided to stick with the Dubrovnik/Musica cruise.

Since we will probably be back in Europe we will do a different one next time.

Those 10 days look really intensive, and since we have family in Italy we would prefer to spend some time on land.

I'll let you know if we change our mind again;);).

Thanks again

Most of the people on board will take the cruise because of Sarande. It is new and the big draw. But anyway you need to take two cruises to get Dubrovnik, Mykonos, Santorini and Kotor. At least Dubrovnik, Santorini and Kotor alone are worth a cruise.
We did a Viking Venice to Istanbul and the only one we missed was Mykonos - we saw Dubrovnik Kotor and Santorini!

Sent from my SM-A320Y using Forums mobile app

There is also the Castle next to Dubrovnik city walls that was also used in Game of Thrones along with the small bay that delegates them.

Dave ... is it worth the €30 it would cost in taxis to just visit the Castle. We've done the Wall and Old Town a couple of times already (DH can't walk for too long on the hard flagstones so we were planning on staying onboard).

Bea ... You have to walk around the bay to reach the steps up to the entrance and there are other steps inside, many outlets there only take their currency the Kuna. If I can find the photos I will mail you some.