Viking Homelands - Bergen to Stockholm or Stockholm to Bergen

BluebonnetTexan

We are thinking of taking this cruise in 2019. What are the main differences between the routes? I suspect there may be a port or two with significant differences one direction versus the other, but can't tell from what I've read on Viking's website.

Nancy

I'm sure you will get many responses that are thoughtful and detailed and indicate a preference based on times in each port, pre and post extension preferences, etc. Mine is pretty simple.

We went on this cruise in the summer of 2016 and were on the Stockholm to Bergen itinerary ... this was just an "accident" as we selected the dates that worked for us and where there was availability in the cabin category we preferred. As it happens we were glad to have "selected" this itinerary ... especially when we arrived in Norway. The sail into the fjords was breathtaking ... they even held an early morning (5:30 AM) "celebration" in the Explorers Lounge ( with mimosas ! ) to encourage passengers to enjoy the entire "event". As we enjoyed the morning, one of our fellow passengers stated that he was very glad we had started in Stockholm because after Norway everything else (at least scenery-wise) would have been very anti-climactic. Everyone there agreed.

I agree 100% with Molymoo. I've told many that I'm glad we took the Stockholm to Bergen route because of ending with Norway. Although the departing out of Stockholm through the archipelago was incredible too.

The Homelands cruise was our first with Viking and will always be special for us.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Totally agree that we'll love whichever route we select as we've never been to these locales. When traveling thru multiple time zones, I tend to want to start at the most eastern point and work my way back west (towards home). So, I'm inclined to do Stockholm to Bergen and I'm liking the input so far about ending on a high note with the scenery in Norway. Would love to hear any other thoughts on pros/cons of one direction versus the other.

Nancy

We did Bergen to Stockholm with extensions pre-cruise in Oslo and post-cruise in Stockholm. Doing it that way meant the flights on both ends were into/out of a major airport, thus avoiding the issues with Bergen's smaller airport. I like the idea of putting the longest flights at the beginning of a trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

FWIW ... Bergen does have some air issues but when we did the Homelands cruise we booked the Iceland extension so flew from Bergen into Reykjavic which was a reasonable flight.

We are doing the British Isles this summer and will end our cruise again in Bergen. We added on the Oslo extension this time which gives us an opportunity to experience the train ride from Bergen to Oslo and fly out of Oslo rather than Bergen.

FWIW ... Bergen does have some air issues but when we did the Homelands cruise we booked the Iceland extension so flew from Bergen into Reykjavic which was a reasonable flight.

I'm curious, what type of air issues does Bergen have? We are flying home from Bergen after our Into the Midnight Sun cruise in July.

I'm curious, what type of air issues does Bergen have? We are flying home from Bergen after our Into the Midnight Sun cruise in July.

Bergen has very small airport. We ended up there after our Homelands last July. It took us approximately an hour to reach the ticket counter. Our first leg from Bergen to Heathrow was economy. There was no place to seat. There are no business clubs.

This year we fly out of Bergen next day after the cruise and business so it might save us an hour standing in line.

How wonderful! So excited for you. Can't wait to hear about it. Now I am toying with Into the Midnight Sun or Med Odyssey. I need to just book!

We were thinking about the Med Odyssey but the dates we wanted were not available.

We like the itinerary on the Trade Routes and this year of a few celebrations :) so here we go... can’t wait!

We did Homelands a year ago, started in Stockholm and ended in Bergen. Went a few days early to Stockholm in order to spend more time exploring and acclimating- fantastic weather and beautiful city. When we ended in Bergen, we took the train to Oslo to spend some time in that beautiful city. Both decisions worked out well for us.

Just finished Med Odyssey, Barcelona to Venice. Went 1 day early to B as had been there before, but wanted to settle and see more. After Venice we took the train to Milan (writing this from our hotel down the street from the Duomo). We are here for 3 days in order to see as much as possible. Definitely ready to go home, but Milan has been wonderful- Michelangelo, the Duomo, some "unknown" spectacular churches, and the "Last Supper" on exhibit.

Great cruise, even some staff from our previous cruise, so a wonderful reunion.

Just finished Trade Routes of the Middle Ages with Iceland extension.

About 40 people did the extension. On Icelandair, many other passengers just connecting thru Reykjavik. We had a late flight, 1:55 p.m. so were some of the last passengers off the ship. Viking Sky was the only cruise ship in port that day, although the Bergen Marathon clogged traffic.

Iceland air had a computer problem so the checkin process was horrid, couldn’t do it before getting to airport and stood in line for at least an hour to check in.

Although Bergen’s airport is relatively small, over 6 million passengers travel thru it annually. I found it spacious and clean.

We had considered the extension to Oslo. That option really didn’t give a lot of time in Osloband the rail line was undergoing maintenance so some of the trip was by bus instead. Our scheduled flight from Oslo would have been 6:00 a.m.

Just finished Trade Routes of the Middle Ages with Iceland extension.

About 40 people did the extension. On Icelandair, many other passengers just connecting thru Reykjavik. We had a late flight, 1:55 p.m. so were some of the last passengers off the ship. Viking Sky was the only cruise ship in port that day, although the Bergen Marathon clogged traffic.

Iceland air had a computer problem so the checkin process was horrid, couldn’t do it before getting to airport and stood in line for at least an hour to check in.

Although Bergen’s airport is relatively small, over 6 million passengers travel thru it annually. I found it spacious and clean.

We had considered the extension to Oslo. That option really didn’t give a lot of time in Osloband the rail line was undergoing maintenance so some of the trip was by bus instead. Our scheduled flight from Oslo would have been 6:00 a.m.

As it turns out, we didn’t have to switch to a bus at all on the Oslo extension. We took the train the whole way (which was long but gorgeous). But we did leave late morning rather than early morning, which meant a late arrival into Oslo. It wasn’t a problem for us since we had booked an extra day in Oslo, but I felt sorry for those with early-morning flights the next day.

That said, we were in Iceland in the fall and LOVED it, especially the southern Ring Road (we rented a car). What a gorgeous place. We’d love to go back some day.

• 4 months later...
We are thinking of taking this cruise in 2019. What are the main differences between the routes? I suspect there may be a port or two with significant differences one direction versus the other, but can't tell from what I've read on Viking's website.

Nancy

We did this cruise two years ago on the Viking Star from Bergen to Stockholm. Loved it.

In Copenhagen, we did a Jazz cruise offered by Viking. Think it was around $35 each. We got picked up at the Viking boat by the Jazz boat! Nice treat. Then we were served cheap fizz throughout the cruise. Hubby and I loved it. Was a highlight of our cruise.

In Stockholm we got a hotel for the night after the cruise. Going to the ABBA museum was a highlight. Hubby is not a fan of them, but was glad he saw it. At our hotel, we ordered swedish meatballs and mashed potatoes. So glad we got to try that meal in it's home country and with authenticity. Delicious.

Enjoy your cruise! We loved it, and have made life long friends.

Just back from our Viking Homelands cruise from Stockholm to Bergen on the Viking Sea. We were so pleased to have selected this direction, as we had a few days before the cruise in Stockholm to adjust to the time and further explore the wonderful city! Second, we thought it would be better to have our two very long days in St. Petersburg at the beginning of the cruise and the spectacular Norwegian scenery at the end of the cruise. I can't comment on the Bergen airport, as we took the train to Oslo - spectacular ride, followed by a few days in Oslo. This was just my experience, but regardless of direction, Viking Homelands is a wonderful itinerary. Enjoy!

We did this cruise two years ago on the Viking Star from Bergen to Stockholm. Loved it.

In Copenhagen, we did a Jazz cruise offered by Viking. Think it was around $35 each. We got picked up at the Viking boat by the Jazz boat! Nice treat. Then we were served cheap fizz throughout the cruise. Hubby and I loved it. Was a highlight of our cruise.

In Stockholm we got a hotel for the night after the cruise. Going to the ABBA museum was a highlight. Hubby is not a fan of them, but was glad he saw it. At our hotel, we ordered swedish meatballs and mashed potatoes. So glad we got to try that meal in it's home country and with authenticity. Delicious.

Enjoy your cruise! We loved it, and have made life long friends.

We did the Jazz cruise in Copenhagen too and loved it! It was a lot of fun and one of those excursions that was a "what the heck, let's try it" and ended up a favorite. We have had several of those both on the river and ocean and they are all special "makes me smile" kind of memories.

We have booked the June 6 Stockholm to Bergen route next year on Viking Sea. We will arrive a couple of days early into Stockholm and do it on our own with another couple. Then the four of us will take the train from Bergen to Oslo and spend a couple of more days in Oslo before returning. I can't wait - everyone's input makes me excited to go!

We are booked next year on Viking Jupiter Bergen to Stockholm. Travel from Bergen is more difficult particularly on return to US if at end of cruise. So we will do 4 days in Paris before flying to BGO and hopping on cruise. Travel back to US from Stockholm (ARN) is much easier. In either case I would expect a wonderful cruise.