On our own. Tips?

Mrs.Gosse

Hi friends, we will be in St Maarten in November. We are not looking to do any ship excursions because we are trying to roll or vacation fund into our big TA cruise next year. So we will basically just be doing the Island on our own.

I know that trying to save money limits us on what we can see and do. But any suggestions of any must see, must eat, must shop places would be welcome. We're willing to take short cab rides if they are affordable. I'm having trouble finding anything to do on Yelp or places to eat. We are not into snorkeling or doing a beach break since we have a day at princess Cays. I know it's not a lot to work with but I'm having trouble finding things to do which was not the case in St Thomas. Thanks in advance.

Why not consider just taking a taxi to Maho to watch a few planes...then returning to town and walk around....this is what we often do...We don't need a lot to entertain us we just like actually being there.

We're on "vacation" and we don't need all the pre-planning for every single moment of it.

One can walk into town and explore the shopping district then walk along the boardwalk, perhaps have a drink and people watch or have lunch. An alternative to walking is the water taxi that runs between the port and downtown.

If you are willing to spend a bit more, a taxi ride to Marigot would let you see some of the island. In Marigot one can head up a steep hill to the fort and its great view. In town, there are restaurants and some shopping. If billionaire yachts are of interest, there are sure to be a fair number in the harbor.

One can walk into town and explore the shopping district then walk along the boardwalk, perhaps have a drink and people watch or have lunch. An alternative to walking is the water taxi that runs between the port and downtown.

If you are willing to spend a bit more, a taxi ride to Marigot would let you see some of the island. In Marigot one can head up a steep hill to the fort and its great view. In town, there are restaurants and some shopping. If billionaire yachts are of interest, there are sure to be a fair number in the harbor.

Marigot/French Side has not recovered from last year's hurricanes. A lot of $$$ has been funneled into the Dutch Side, but almost nothing from France for the french side. FYI ...

What time are you in St. Martin? Is it a full day ... early a.m. to early evening?

Marigot/French Side has not recovered from last year's hurricanes. A lot of $$$ has been funneled into the Dutch Side, but almost nothing from France for the french side. FYI ...

What time are you in St. Martin? Is it a full day ... early a.m. to early evening?

Thanks for letting me know. I had seen marigot mentioned in groups before and it sounded nice but I wasn't really sure what we were looking at there. We are there from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.

I know it's not a lot to work with but I'm having trouble finding things to do which was not the case in St Thomas. Thanks in advance.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you planning for St. Thomas? We will be there next week but I still haven't decided what we are going to do so I'm still looking at my options.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you planning for St. Thomas? We will be there next week but I still haven't decided what we are going to do so I'm still looking at my options.
I don't mind a bit! Actually, we aren't really doing much. We are taking the boat from the ships dock to Charlotte Amalie. It says it is a shopping shuttle of some sort. It's narrated and it takes 20 minutes to get there but only 10 minutes to get back so I think you get to see a little bit of the cove and the coastline of the island. It says they'll tell you where the best shopping is. We are not planning on doing a lot of shopping, but we figured it would just be a fun way to get to Charlotte Amalie instead of a cab. And then we're planning on walking around that area and then walking around the port area when we get back.

If you are looking to save money, take the bus to Maho and watch the planes land and take off. Total cost is $4 round trip per person, plus the bus ride can be interesting as well. Also, if you are Star Wars (or movie in general) fans, stop by the Yoda Guy museum. No charge to look around, but you can see the coolest stuff for a $10 charge or something like that. Still pretty cheap. DIY is really easy in St Maarten - no need for a tour or ship excursion.

• 2 weeks later...

I mentioned watching the planes at Maho Beach to DH and he sounded interested. Now that I see there is a bar with pretty good reviews there we may be making a stop. I also was able to finally find some things on TripAdvisor! I don't know why I couldn't find anything previously and still can't find anything on Yelp. Yelp is really my go-to travel review app. But anyway... TripAdvisor mentions guavaberry and a cheese shop that sounds very much of our alley while we will be trying to spend some money on the island. I'm a little less concerned we're spending money now as it seems that they are in bad shape and can use the revenue.

If you are looking to save money, take the bus to Maho and watch the planes land and take off. Total cost is $4 round trip per person, plus the bus ride can be interesting as well. Also, if you are Star Wars (or movie in general) fans, stop by the Yoda Guy museum. No charge to look around, but you can see the coolest stuff for a $10 charge or something like that. Still pretty cheap. DIY is really easy in St Maarten - no need for a tour or ship excursion.

Both of these sound like things we want to do. How do we "take the bus" to Maho? Is it marked as such? Thank you!

Both of these sound like things we want to do. How do we "take the bus" to Maho? Is it marked as such? Thank you!

You catch the bus on Back Street - one way street that parallels Front Street and the Boardwalk with traffic heading east to west. There are marked bus stops on the street, but if you see a bus, just wave it down and it will stop. The bus is really a 15-passenger van with a placard in the window that will say "Maho Beach" or "Mullet Bay". Be sure to get the right one since there are other buses that go to the French side of the island.

Just hop on the bus and away you go. If you are going to Maho, the bus will drop you off at the round-about right at the road that goes in front of the runway. If you are going to Mullet Bay, it will take you to the parking lot. That is the last stop and then it turns around and heads back to town. You will pay as you exit. $2 a person each way. The drivers and any passengers are super friendly and will answer any questions you have. Just let them know where you are going and they will make sure you get there.

To get back to Philipsburg, just reverse the process - catching the bus either at the Mullet Bay parking lot or at the round-about by Maho Beach. I think a taxi is around $7 a person each way, but I have only ever taken the bus, so I don't know the price for sure.

You catch the bus on Back Street - one way street that parallels Front Street and the Boardwalk with traffic heading east to west. There are marked bus stops on the street, but if you see a bus, just wave it down and it will stop. The bus is really a 15-passenger van with a placard in the window that will say "Maho Beach" or "Mullet Bay". Be sure to get the right one since there are other buses that go to the French side of the island.

Just hop on the bus and away you go. If you are going to Maho, the bus will drop you off at the round-about right at the road that goes in front of the runway. If you are going to Mullet Bay, it will take you to the parking lot. That is the last stop and then it turns around and heads back to town. You will pay as you exit. $2 a person each way. The drivers and any passengers are super friendly and will answer any questions you have. Just let them know where you are going and they will make sure you get there.

To get back to Philipsburg, just reverse the process - catching the bus either at the Mullet Bay parking lot or at the round-about by Maho Beach. I think a taxi is around $7 a person each way, but I have only ever taken the bus, so I don't know the price for sure.

Thank you so much! Sounds like a fun way to get there!