Laundry question?

MICHE99

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We always seem to have more OBC than we can use so we send stuff to the laundry - it is always very efficient and if given in the evening is back the next day - no need to pay for the rush surcharge as it comes in a rush anyway! They take great care.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I know that in a suite there is laundry/dry cleaning provided; but does anyone know how long it takes to be returned, and the same goes for the shoe cleaning service - how long does that take to come back?

However, I can't get over this fascination that people seem to have with laundry facilities: it's a holiday for crying out loud! We always put a number of clean white plastic bags in our cases, and then as and when anything needs 'putting on a washing pile' which means items which are going to be dealt with back home, they get sorted into the different little bags, sealed up and then when we get home it's simply a case of open bag, shove stuff into washing machine, press buttons, done. There isn't usually much to deal with, as we use the free laundry/dry clean facilities, but it's simply something we've always done for years now.

I haven't got the time to spend doing laundry on holiday!

However, yes, I believe there are washers and dryers, and also passengers who 'cheat' the queue system and someties even put up notices to say that machines are 'out of order' when all they are doing is behaving badly. It's not clever.

hello Parsley Cruises .. we were in PJS on Star last year and every morning after breakfast we would put our washing in the laundry bag, fill out the laundry list sheet, and leave it on .the bed.

24 hours later our washing was washed and folded beautifully inside a cane basket. We then repeated each day (except the last day before disembarkation as the laundry service was closed).

We have booked 3 further cruises and I asked my wife ... do we really need PJS, what about PV ? She said, I'm not doing the washing so yes, we need a PJS. Of course the PJS is much more than free washing, but it is a real bonus.

Hi Little Monty,

That's great to know, we've got our laundry bag schedule agreed between the two of us - and it will be a help. I did sit and wonder what a PV was, then I worked it out! (PV in our part of the world means Patisserie Valerie, which whilst not a patch on Bettys is a wonderful place to stop for refreshment). Anyway, thanks for the info, simply planning to put stuff out every couple of days, and stop 2 days before the end of the cruise.

Many thanks indeed.

The free laundry was wonderful on our World Cruise...it has spoiled me forever....but alas I will be back in the laundry room on our next cruise. But it at least it is Free and clean and brightly lit!

So to actually answer your questions, the laundry is free to wash and dry. Soap is automatic but no dryer sheets. Yes, there is ironing boards and irons in each laundry room. Wait quite honestly just depends when you do it. We really never had a wait. Everyone was cordial and never left their laundry in the washers or dryers which was a real treat. Enjoy your cruise!

Not everyone travels from the US. US centric much?

People from Australia generally travel for 5 weeks at a time to counter airfares and jet lag. Pretty impossible to carry five weeks of clean clothes, let alone carry five weeks of dirty clothes in luggage. Yuck.

Having a laundry onboard is great. Celebrity doesn’t which is frustrating. Last cruise we ended up with someone else’s underwear that blew into our cabin, and the cabin next door would leave things to dry after washing on their balcony and we would get their water run off.

So it isn’t a stupid fascination with laundry but a necessity.

Edited by Pushka

People from Australia generally travel for 5 weeks at a time to counter airfares and jet lag. Pretty impossible to carry five weeks of clean clothes, let alone carry five weeks of dirty clothes in luggage. Yuck.

Having a laundry onboard is great. Celebrity doesn’t which is frustrating. Last cruise we ended up with someone else’s underwear that blew into our cabin, and the cabin next door would leave things to dry after washing on their balcony and we would get their water run off.

I'm from the US and I agree with you. Who is fascinated with laundry, LOL? We travel 3-4 weeks at a time. I'm not hand washing and using my bathroom as a clothes line plus there are certain things that I am not sending out for laundry service. It really doesn't take that much time to run a load or two.

I just noticed this thread is from April 2018 so the OP probably already sailed.

Thankfully, our days of having to be away from home base for longish periods of time are now a happy memory of times past, and now we can choose how long we are away for.

We're simply so content at our present home base that we just don't fancy being away for more than 2-3 weeks at a time, and I can easily plan ahead and do one of several things to avoid using a ship's laundry. Don't get me wrong - I'm sure they are splendid facilities, we just have never used them; and there's absolutely no way we could hang anything out to dry on a balcony. So, either we use the laundry/dry clean service which is part of the suite deal, or we have in the past had fresh clothing arrive in luggage (obviously with a bit of forward planning), and the luggage containing clothing due to return home ahead of use just 'goes'. Leaving us with what we want/need. If we have an accident (maybe damaging a piece of clothing whilst of holiday, it simply gets replaced).

Travelling for anywhere from 5 to 7 months, finding laundry is a necessity. Definitely appreciate Viking giving options of using the ship's laundry, or comp self-service machines.

Personally, on our next world cruise we will use the self-service, as having worked on cruise ships, I have experience with ship's laundries and find them a little harsh on the clothes, for more than a couple of washes.

Viking did all my laundry for 4 months...yep not as gentle as home BUT I took things that I did not really care about....and they NEVER lost a thing...misplaced for a day or 2 but always showed up....even a belt from a dress that I never should have sent!!!

the tour of the laundry was GREAT!!!!

I know that in a suite there is laundry/dry cleaning provided; but does anyone know how long it takes to be returned, and the same goes for the shoe cleaning service - how long does that take to come back?

However, I can't get over this fascination that people seem to have with laundry facilities: it's a holiday for crying out loud! We always put a number of clean white plastic bags in our cases, and then as and when anything needs 'putting on a washing pile' which means items which are going to be dealt with back home, they get sorted into the different little bags, sealed up and then when we get home it's simply a case of open bag, shove stuff into washing machine, press buttons, done. There isn't usually much to deal with, as we use the free laundry/dry clean facilities, but it's simply something we've always done for years now.

I haven't got the time to spend doing laundry on holiday!

However, yes, I believe there are washers and dryers, and also passengers who 'cheat' the queue system and someties even put up notices to say that machines are 'out of order' when all they are doing is behaving badly. It's not clever.

Same here. Several plastic bags like kitchen trash white bags and laundry is done at home. My vacation time is precious!! ;)

Viking did all my laundry for 4 months...yep not as gentle as home BUT I took things that I did not really care about....and they NEVER lost a thing...misplaced for a day or 2 but always showed up....even a belt from a dress that I never should have sent!!!

the tour of the laundry was GREAT!!!!

Come of it - you did a TOUR OF THE LAUNDRY??? Now that disturbs me! Tour of the bridge - well ok, done it before, but it's interesting. Tour of the engine room - yes please, but I doubt if that's permitted, but tour of the laundry???

I think I'd sooner do a tour of the inside of my eyelids, sorry!

Years ago we did a guided ships tour on Princess. It included all the usual places but the most fascinating was the laundry. Highly mechanized with sheets flying back and forwards past you on rollers at astonishingly high speeds. Also shirts being “ironed” while fitted on a “model” in about 5 seconds. Several of us said it was the highlight of the tour.

Mechanisation, automation, love it; but if people think I’m going to visit either a kitchen or a laundry they’re going to be disappointed. It’s not for me.

I'm with you, Though I did pass through the laundry (long story unsuitable for CC) on QE2. Even back then it was a highly automated rapid process. But for now, while the Laundry Tour goes on, I will either be in the Gym or warming the corner seat at the Viking Bar......:cool:

We have done several “behind the scenes” tours on various lines and have always found it very, very interesting. Last year we toured the bridge on the Viking Sea and this year I will check on board to see what might be available. If it is the kitchen and/or the laundry I will sign us up, for sure.

I'm with you, Though I did pass through the laundry (long story unsuitable for CC) on QE2. Even back then it was a highly automated rapid process. But for now, while the Laundry Tour goes on, I will either be in the Gym or warming the corner seat at the Viking Bar......:cool:

Jim - I agree, you'll find me in the same spots.

The Bridge at least has the best views on the ship, but on modern ships, it really is a video games rooms, with really expensive equipment and a few flags.. Where we used a sextant, Nories Tables and Nautical Almanac to hopefully find the next port, the modern navigator sits on a seat and watches a computer screen, following the red line. Engine Room - control room similar to the Bridge, lots of computer monitors, but no windows. The galley, or stainless steel room - survived working breakfast one morning when a cadet on Oriana and learned never to return. Laundry - a popular location for fire drills, so already seen the inside of too many laundries.

While it may be tempting to visit, with a little willpower, I'll enjoy some refreshments.clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

Haha, you take me back Andy. I wonder if Viking Sun even has an RDF? Pretty sure they don't bother with Loran A, or Loran C for that matter. Pull up a picture of the bridge from the old Queen Mary (the one now in Long Beach) and I have actually sailed in such bridges. Fortunately young men could sail on old ships.;p Compare that bridge to Viking Sun and the only constant is windows!