First time transatlantic

Have done three transatlantic crossings at this time of the year, one being on the Celebration. All three were very smooth. After the first couple of days, you can feel the temperature increasing every morning that you go out on deck. Our favourite one was on the Celebration. I'm sure yoy will enjoy it.

The first couple of days after leaving Malaga can be a little cool, but it's still nice to sit outside away from the breeze. After that, it's lovely and warm. A refreshing change from the weather at home. I'm a little envious, as we've not booked a transatlantic this year, but have already booked for the one on Explorer 2 next year.

We did this repositioning cruise on Celebration last year. The weather was great out on deck every day, however it is probably the best weather we have had on a transatlantic crossing as it can be a little cooler with some chop/swell. The good thing about crossing from Malaga is no Bay of Biscay to cross. Good luck and enjoy.

We are doing the repositioning cruise on Explorer 27/10/18 Palma to Barbados. As we haven’t been to the Caribbean before could you kind people help us out with our queries please?

What currencies will we need for the Caribbean part of the itinerary?

Will we need any inoculations?

Is there much going on onboard during the sea days?

Thanks in advance.

US dollars are accepted everywhere, although you may get change in the local currency. Best to take small denomination notes. No inoculations needed. Of the three we have done, the first two had plenty going on during the day, so much so that we had to prioritise activities. The last one, on the Discovery, was a little disappointing, as we felt daytime activities were somewhat lacking.

We are doing the repositioning cruise on Explorer 27/10/18 Palma to Barbados. As we haven’t been to the Caribbean before could you kind people help us out with our queries please?

What currencies will we need for the Caribbean part of the itinerary?

Will we need any inoculations?

Is there much going on onboard during the sea days?

Thanks in advance.

Sometimes yellow fever is mentioned however not compulsory as you will not be arriving from any risky countries and from memory it was Jamaica that needed it which isnt on your list (luckily)

Beware that all the ports have the same $ grabbing stores like Diamonds International, Tanzanite places colour changing clothing! so if you can get away do so although the tours have pet souvenir stops similarly best avoided. Antiqua is lovely if you like coves and snorkeling. The capital St Johns has 'cruise ship due' days so prices are increased! You may like us want to collapse on a sandy beach after the sea crossing (if your thing) I plan to check out the local beaches i have been to before and maybe just getting a taxi. If you want to sight see instead a tour round the island should give a taste of Antigua and the main places of interest. Did a B2B Caribbean 2 years ago luckily before Maria and Irma.

Thanks for your replies, it wasn't evident on the marella booking site that it was Dreamliner and I just wondered if tui would pull an ancient aircraft out of the hat.:confused:

They can actually still do that it would be a 767 but we found that ok anyway and the seating configuration is better in the rear as 2-4-2 whereas in the Dreamliner its 3-3-3, would recommend if you are a couple you go centre then no one will disturb you or you them when they get up.;)

Hi vitalsign. Previously it has always had the Dreamliner wings logo on the booking page but yesterday it just said TUI and thats why I asked the question.

Hi Pensioncruiser.

Thanks for the tip. We have decided to do both the outgoing cruise in October and the return cruise in April. We had booked a window and a middle seat for the Barbados to Birmingham flight, But thinking about changing to middle row seats as its an evening flight so it will be dark for most of the trip anyway. yet to pick seats on the second trip but middle row sounds likea good idea.

Keep well both.

Thanks for the prompt answer Pensioncruiser.

We fly out from Birmingham to Barbados and the ship stops off At Southampton and then Newcastle on the way back. There isn’t anything on the marella site about a transfer back to Birmingham from Southampton and just wondered if there was anything organised or do we sort it ourselves

Thanks Pensioncruiser.

You should be on commission fromTUI. ;-)

I haven’t seen the brochure as we do all of our booking online. I will get my wife to pop into the tui shop and sort it from there.

Once again thanks for your help, very much appreciated.

Keep well.