Snorkel gear and beaches

styme123

My DH and I will be in Bermuda on NCL this Aug. I want to try snorkeling during our trip, but I've never tried it. I bought some snorkel sets at Costco :D I have no idea if they are "good" for what we need. Do we need to bring the fins or just the masks and snorkel parts? They might be kind of a pain to pack I would think. I'm a bit afraid to swim in water over my head so I wouldn't be going out far.

Was thinking also about the catamaran/snorkel excursions but didn't know if it would be too redundant if we were going to a beach or crowded with drunk people. Thoughts?

I'm pretty fair skinned so are there any beaches that are better for snorkeling and have shaded areas or umbrella rentals so I don't fry;). I was thinking to hit the beaches earlier so I'm not there at peak sun times. I'm also trying to see which beaches are easier to get to so I don't spend a lot of time just getting there and back.

A snorkel catamaran cruise might be nice for your first time snorkeling. The crew on the catamaran could probably give you some helpful tips. If you did this on your first day in port and find that you like it, then you can go to a beach on your own. Restless Native has a snorkel trip from the dockyard so you wouldn't have to travel at all. Their catamaran has a stairwell that goes into the water so you don't have to climb a ladder. They get great reviews on Trip advisor. There is also Snorkel Park right at the dockyard which would be a safe place to snorkel.

My DH and I will be in Bermuda on NCL this Aug. I want to try snorkeling during our trip, but I've never tried it. I bought some snorkel sets at Costco [emoji3] I have no idea if they are "good" for what we need. Do we need to bring the fins or just the masks and snorkel parts? They might be kind of a pain to pack I would think. I'm a bit afraid to swim in water over my head so I wouldn't be going out far.

Was thinking also about the catamaran/snorkel excursions but didn't know if it would be too redundant if we were going to a beach or crowded with drunk people. Thoughts?

I'm pretty fair skinned so are there any beaches that are better for snorkeling and have shaded areas or umbrella rentals so I don't fry;). I was thinking to hit the beaches earlier so I'm not there at peak sun times. I'm also trying to see which beaches are easier to get to so I don't spend a lot of time just getting there and back.

Tobacco Bay on St George’s is shallow and a good place for novice snorkelers. You take the ferry there Your Costco set is probably fine. If you want to try with fins they rent them there. You really don’t need find at Tobacco because the water is shallow. You need fins for efficiency in deeper water. They rent chairs there that have a cover.

An excursion on a catamaran would be good too as long as they go to a spot with shallow waters for novices. If you do an excursion they will provide fins.

A snorkel catamaran cruise might be nice for your first time snorkeling. The crew on the catamaran could probably give you some helpful tips. If you did this on your first day in port and find that you like it, then you can go to a beach on your own. Restless Native has a snorkel trip from the dockyard so you wouldn't have to travel at all. Their catamaran has a stairwell that goes into the water so you don't have to climb a ladder. They get great reviews on Trip advisor. There is also Snorkel Park right at the dockyard which would be a safe place to snorkel.

That's a really good point about going out on the catamaran first for tips and to see how it goes. The info and tips I get from you CC members is wonderful. I've been looking at the Restless Native one online too and reading the reviews. They seem great. I wonder how early I can safely book a tour on our first day in port. we're supposed to get there at 8:00.

Tobacco Bay on St George’s is shallow and a good place for novice snorkelers. You take the ferry there Your Costco set is probably fine. If you want to try with fins they rent them there. You really don’t need find at Tobacco because the water is shallow. You need fins for efficiency in deeper water. They rent chairs there that have a cover.

An excursion on a catamaran would be good too as long as they go to a spot with shallow waters for novices. If you do an excursion they will provide fins.

Do you think I should pack the fins at all in case I need them or just leave them at home? What's the best way to get to Tobacco bay once you get off the ferry. How much time does it take to get there from Dockyard?

I agree on the fins, leave them home but pack the mask and snorkel. So much better using your own than one that has been in other people’s mouths, IMHO. You should also shop for reef friendly sunscreen and reapply often. I burn like a piece of flashpaper, so I reapply every time I get out of the water: https://www.amazon.com/Reef-Safe-Biodegradable-Waterproof-Sunscreen/dp/B007KBLJ8E/ref=sr_1_9_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1531442015&sr=8-9&keywords=reef+friendly+sunscreen You will see some negativity towards Snorkel Park, but it is not too bad and is a safe place to snorkel. You will see lots of cool fish there, including giant parrotfish. You can hear them munching on the coral like potato chips! There is a little protected cove next to Horseshoe Bay that had lots of colorful little fish. I think it is called “Baby Beach” and you can get there by bus, or by my preferred travel, a shuttle bus, air conditioned, it picks you up and drops off right at the ship and beach and costs $7 each way. Get a cheap underwater camera for some amazing pics! One more thing, this sounds gross but it works. Spit in your mask and rub the spit all over the glass then rinse with seawater - your mask will never fog up!

Edited by descal13
Forgot something

I agree on the fins, leave them home but pack the mask and snorkel. So much better using your own than one that has been in other people’s mouths, IMHO. You should also shop for reef friendly sunscreen and reapply often. I burn like a piece of flashpaper, so I reapply every time I get out of the water: https://www.amazon.com/Reef-Safe-Biodegradable-Waterproof-Sunscreen/dp/B007KBLJ8E/ref=sr_1_9_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1531442015&sr=8-9&keywords=reef+friendly+sunscreen You will see some negativity towards Snorkel Park, but it is not too bad and is a safe place to snorkel. You will see lots of cool fish there, including giant parrotfish. You can hear them munching on the coral like potato chips! There is a little protected cove next to Horseshoe Bay that had lots of colorful little fish. I think it is called “Baby Beach” and you can get there by bus, or by my preferred travel, a shuttle bus, air conditioned, it picks you up and drops off right at the ship and beach and costs $7 each way. Get a cheap underwater camera for some amazing pics! One more thing, this sounds gross but it works. Spit in your mask and rub the spit all over the glass then rinse with seawater - your mask will never fog up!

Thanks for the reply, I was going to bring my daughters Go pro would that be good for pictures?

Do you think I should pack the fins at all in case I need them or just leave them at home? What's the best way to get to Tobacco bay once you get off the ferry. How much time does it take to get there from Dockyard?

I would leave the fins at home for what you are planning. Just pack the snorkel and mask. If your kit has a snorkel vest, pack that. After getting off the ferry I always walk to Tobacco Bay. About a 15 minute walk. I enjoy the walk. You could also take a taxi and there may be some shuttles. The ferry takes about 45 minuets from the Dockyard to St. George’s.

I would leave the fins at home for what you are planning. Just pack the snorkel and mask. If your kit has a snorkel vest, pack that. After getting off the ferry I always walk to Tobacco Bay. About a 15 minute walk. I enjoy the walk. You could also take a taxi and there may be some shuttles. The ferry takes about 45 minuets from the Dockyard to St. George’s.

The set doesn't have a snorkel vest. What do you use that for? How much do they run if I need one?

A snorkel vest is worn to help you stay buoyant while you are snorkeling. They cost about $15-$20 on Amazon. If you stay in shallow water I don 't think you would need one. If you are not a good swimmer and plan to go in deeper water then you may want to invest in one.

That's a really good point about going out on the catamaran first for tips and to see how it goes. The info and tips I get from you CC members is wonderful. I've been looking at the Restless Native one online too and reading the reviews. They seem great. I wonder how early I can safely book a tour on our first day in port. we're supposed to get there at 8:00.

You could email or call the snorkel company and ask them about the timing on their tours and what would work for your ships arrival time. I think they are located right where you get off your ship so , unless your ship is late getting into port ,you could make their 9am trip. Most of their tours are filled with cruise ship folks so they know what would work for you.

A snorkel vest is worn to help you stay buoyant while you are snorkeling. They cost about $15-$20 on Amazon. If you stay in shallow water I don 't think you would need one. If you are not a good swimmer and plan to go in deeper water then you may want to invest in one.

Anyone snorkeling for the first time should wear a snorkel vest. Even in shallow water. Blow some air in to start and then let it out to deflate when they get confident. On any snorkel excursion they will provide a vest and I expect require wearing it. At Tobacco Bay they rent vests so they would not have to buy one, they could rent them.

I agree wit hthis, bring one of these - they don't take up any space in luggage and even if you aren't in deep waters or snorkeling, they can double as a nice floatie!

Anyone snorkeling for the first time should wear a snorkel vest. Even in shallow water. Blow some air in to start and then let it out to deflate when they get confident. On any snorkel excursion they will provide a vest and I expect require wearing it. At Tobacco Bay they rent vests so they would not have to buy one, they could rent them.

Oh cool you just let the air in and out:cool: Easy packing. I thought it might be like a life vest that had padding.

Oh cool you just let the air in and out[emoji41] Easy packing. I thought it might be like a life vest that had padding.

Right. It is not meant to be a life jacket although it has a safety purpose. The vest is used to rest on the surface when you need to. Water is dense so the exertion of moving thru the water while snorkeling can cause you to need a rest from time to time. Some people only drift on the surface and look down, never dive down, others dive down to see things closer. So you can leave air in or you can let it in and out. I tend to let it in and out, I go down and come up, and back down. I need to rest from time to time, and more now as I have gotten older. So then I blow some air in it. Doesn’t take much. It doesn’t have to be blown up all the way to give you enough buoyancy to rest on the surface. It is up to you. All surface snorkeling or diving down. The vest is easy to pack, it lies flat when deflated.

Right. It is not meant to be a life jacket although it has a safety purpose. The vest is used to rest on the surface when you need to. Water is dense so the exertion of moving thru the water while snorkeling can cause you to need a rest from time to time. Some people only drift on the surface and look down, never dive down, others dive down to see things closer. So you can leave air in or you can let it in and out. I tend to let it in and out, I go down and come up, and back down. I need to rest from time to time, and more now as I have gotten older. So then I blow some air in it. Doesn’t take much. It doesn’t have to be blown up all the way to give you enough buoyancy to rest on the surface. It is up to you. All surface snorkeling or diving down. The vest is easy to pack, it lies flat when deflated.

That's really neat. I've never heard of them before. Will get them for sure. I'll help me from drowning as well :')

That's really neat. I've never heard of them before. Will get them for sure. I'll help me from drowning as well :')

I think it would be a good idea to snorkel your first time on an excursion as blueridgemama suggested if you can find one that is beginner friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if they sell snorkels on the Escape?

Whether they do or don’t (I have never seen them in a cruise ship gift shop), they would be significantly more expensive than what you can pick up at home. A sporting goods store, department store or online retailer each sell a variety of snorkel goods for about what you can rent them for. For kids, some place like 5 Below would have inexpensive ones that will get them interested in a joyful sport. My advice would be to buy them at home.