Dublin Port to Dalkey

Hi, there is no DART station near the port as the PP has said.

There is a LUAS light rail at the "Point Depot" stop which would be walkable from the port (it is just outside the entrance to the port, as such). This would take you along the red line Luas to Connolly (www.luas.ie) - approx. and then you could transfer onto the DART from Connolly to Dalkey. The DART will take about 30 minutes to Dalkey. The view of Dublin Bay from the DART is lovely as well. ( www.dart.ie)

The other option would be take a taxi, and ask the driver to go along the coast road by Sandymount (NB this means he will be going through the East Link toll bridge so there will be an extra charge). You wont get to see as much of the bay as you would on the DART but it's still pretty nice.

I guess it depends on cost/ time constraints.

Hi, there is no DART station near the port as the PP has said.

There is a LUAS light rail at the "Point Depot" stop which would be walkable from the port (it is just outside the entrance to the port, as such). This would take you along the red line Luas to Connolly (www.luas.ie) - approx. and then you could transfer onto the DART from Connolly to Dalkey. The DART will take about 30 minutes to Dalkey. The view of Dublin Bay from the DART is lovely as well. ( www.dart.ie)

The other option would be take a taxi, and ask the driver to go along the coast road by Sandymount (NB this means he will be going through the East Link toll bridge so there will be an extra charge). You wont get to see as much of the bay as you would on the DART but it's still pretty nice.

I guess it depends on cost/ time constraints.

Thank you so much Failteromhat for the great detailed information and links. That is exactly what I was hoping for. The Port's website states that the Luas Red Line stop at the Point is located opposite the entrance to Dublin Port on East Wall Road and then gives detailed directions from each terminal. However, they do not give any information as to what terminal Ocean Pier 33 is located in. Would you happen to know?

I think we will take the DART for the view of Dublin Bay (thanks for the tip) on our way to Dalkey and possibly a taxi to return.

It's close to Terminal 3: 3 Branch road is the road. You'll turn left on to Alexandra Road. Then when you get out of the entrance to the port, turn left onto the main road (East Wall road) and the Luas will be on the right hand side before you get to the 3 Arena (concert venue). It's about a mile/ 1.6 km walk to the Luas from the dock. Dublin Port is a commercial port; they haven't built a cruise terminal yet as cruises have only been docking for 2 or 3 years. So it's a bit rough and ready- you can likely walk though the port but I'd say it's a bit grim. Does the cruise line not provide a shuttle?

Also, Dalkey is quite a small village; there may be a couple of taxis hanging around the train station, but if not there are some local companies like Dalkey Cabs +35312857777 or Borough cabs +35312800444

I've not used those so I can't vouch for them!

Uber does work here but it's mainly taxi drivers that pick up the fare. :D

That could be an option as well to get you back to the city

Any particular reason for Dalkey? It's very pretty, I grant you, however there is a good lot to do in the city centre too.

If you need any more help, please let me know.

failteromhat, I can not thank you enough for all the valuable information and directions you have provided!!! I imagine the cruise ship will provide a shuttle and I will look into that and where it drops off--most likely in the city center.

While this is our first time arriving in Dublin on a cruise ship, it is not our first trip to Ireland. On a previous trip my husband and I rented a car and spend seventeen glorious days driving through Ireland, three of which we spent in Dublin. We have a port intensive cruise this trip and are looking forward to a more laid back day while in Dublin. The weather will determine exactly what we do. If it is not raining we will travel to Dalkey and possibly Dun Laoghaire, then back to Dublin city. If it is raining we will most likely spend the entire day in Dublin. Whatever the day and weather brings it is impossible not to have a wonderful day in Ireland!