Advice on leaving ship in Auckland!

MedDolphin

Hello. We are currently two US citizens booked on the Norwegian Jewel on 1/30/2019. The final stop of this cruise is an overnight in Auckland NZ before two sea days and a return to Sydney (port of departure). I'm trying to determine what would be required or ramifications if we wanted to depart the ship in NZ and not continue back to Sydney. Anyone done this or any locals have advice? I know US citizens do not require a visa for NZ and we obviously have valid passports. The lady at NCL was not very helpful so I'm hoping someone here can help. Two sea days at the end seems like a waste of time considering I could be exploring more of NZ on my own. Really hoping someone has an answer so we can make the most of our time after traveling this far. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice.

I have no personal experience with doing this, but have read here on cc of others doing it. I know you said you already spoke with NCL, but you will need to try again, as you will have to arrange with them, if it is even allowable. Maybe send an email to them??

One story I read was with RCI in USA, and they had to organise it ahead of time (filling forms etc), pay a fee to do so, and of course still paid full price for the cruise. On just a port call day, there would not be customs & immigration staff there to 'clear' you, so this would need to be arranged, and cost covered. Maybe would be ok, as often there are crew &/or entertainers joining/leaving ship at ports.

I don't think you can't just walk off (with luggage) and not come back to ship, as they would be waiting for you, at least for some time & then you would be 'missing'. I guess it would be interesting what would happen if you just didn't re-board & turned up at airport for flight home. Maybe Jacinta will afford you refugee status ;)

We were on Seabourns Encore early last January on an Auckland to Auckland cruise getting back a day early due to poor weather at The Bay of Islands which is a tender port. . Seabourn sent out a letter the day before we were due back saying if we wanted to leave earlier we had to tell them so they could arrange the Customs and Immigration of which we did not. We decided to stay on the ship for the unplanned over night tied up to the wharf The rain was that solid we could not do anything around the port so we decided we might as well go home one day early but couldn't as the Customs and Immigration staff had left so we had to stay until the next day which was the end of the cruise . We could just about see our house over the Harbour Bridge but couldn't leave the ship and we are New Zealanders

Edited by Thecat123

We have done this previously in other locations. The procedure is you must email the cruise line customer service and request an “Early Disembarkation Waver”,include in your request all of the pertinent details, including confirmation number, names, reasons for departure, dates etc. It may take them some time to respond because they have to contact immigrations to be sure that they will be available. ( since the ship will overnight there, this probably wont be a problem since Immigration will have already been processed, but they must know that some passengers are not departing with the rest). Luckily you have some time before sailing for them to process the request. I wouldnt make flight arrangements until you get a downline confirmation. I would also request that customer service notify you that they have received your request and to have them give you an aprox date that they might let you know their answer. Be sure to keep the paper trail.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Something to bear in mind is that Auckland Airport isn't the easiest location to access unless you have a transfer organised. Sydney Airport from the dock is a simple train ride away, but Auckland airport is in the middle of nowhere (compared to the Harbour).

You can get a taxi easy enough, but a taxi to the airport is going to set you back almost $100.00 NZD.

Something to bear in mind is that Auckland Airport isn't the easiest location to access unless you have a transfer organised. Sydney Airport from the dock is a simple train ride away, but Auckland airport is in the middle of nowhere (compared to the Harbour).

You can get a taxi easy enough, but a taxi to the airport is going to set you back almost $100.00 NZD.

On a related note if one is leaving the port at around 9:00 AM with a scheduled car/suv transfer on a weekday about how long would you say the drive would take to the airport?

Thank you.

Keith

On a related note if one is leaving the port at around 9:00 AM with a scheduled car/suv transfer on a weekday about how long would you say the drive would take to the airport?

Thank you.

Keith

It’s been some time since we did it, but about 40 minutes.

Two fairly easy alternative options from Princes Wharf, if you don't want to pay for a taxi:-

• 3 weeks later...

We disagree (with respect) :). The last two times we needed to get to the airport (from the cruise port) in Auckland we simply walked out of the cruise terminal and to the nearby bus stop where we caught the Skybus Express. The bus was new, clean, and fast. One-way fare is $18 (NZ) unless it has recently changed. They had plenty of luggage storage space which was a nice bonus.

As to Sydney, nothing is easy if your ship docks at White Bay :(. The train you mention is fine if at CQ, but more and more ships are now docking at White Bay.

Hank

Thanks everyone for the info. We decided to change to a Celebrity cruise which leaves us in Auckland at the end. So mission accomplished 😀

Great choice! We've cruised on NCL as well, but our favorite line is Celebrity. Cruised Sydney to Auckland January 2017 and loved it!

Safe travels.