? RoamRight (or any trip insurance) annual policy and timeline?

Iamthesea

Last October, we went through Steve at the Trip Insurance Store to purchase an annual trip insurance policy with RoamRight. The policy, of course, will be good until this early October.

Here are my concerns:

1 - We have two cruises booked where final payment is due on 8/17/18 and then 9/8/18 for the other. And we have a 2 week beach trip planned where final is due on 8/24/18. That is all good because the trips will be paid for before the policy runs out. However, the beach trip starts the day before the policy ends, and the cruises will actually be in December. Will those trips still be covered with the renewal of that RoamRight policy before the policy expires?

2 - If we choose not to renew the RoamRight policy would those trips still be covered because finals were made when the policy was active?

The reason for the 2nd question is because of an experience we had with a claim earlier in this year. Although not with RoamRight itself, but because of the policy rules. My husband had to visit the medical facility a few times when on a Celebrity cruise in Australia. It was for asthma treatments, and the bill came to a little over $400. When we tried to make a claim at home, we discovered that RoamRight is Secondary. Don't know how we missed that! DH is on Medicare, so we had to file a claim with first with BCBS Medicare. Took weeks of calling, filing, etc., but he finally received about half back after his deductible.

So, we were thinking that instead of renewing the RoamRight policy, we would look into some other policy that is Primary, and that includes pre-existing health needs, medical evacuation, and trip cancellation insurance. We just are not sure how an annual policy timeline works. Any ideas would be appreciated, and then we will be prepared before calling Steve to either renew or purchase another policy.

BTW- We knew enough to ask the ships doctor for an itemized and signed bill before leaving the ship. What we didn't know was that we would have to pay for this, as well. Additionally, we never thought to include that cost when submitting a claim. Lesson learned! And as to why we did not try to file a claim to recoup the rest of the bill after Medicare paid half? We were too exhausted to make a claim for a small amount! I'm sure that's what insurance companies count on. :rolleyes:

I have one of the Roamright annual policies, and my vague recollection is that the policy needs to be in force for the entirety of the proposed trip in question. So, if you have a planned trip that begins before the annual policy expires, but extends past the expiration date AND you aren't renewing, you might have an issue.

To be sure, call your broker or Roamright. They have a handy chat function on their homepage (when the office is open), and you can email yourself a copy of the transcript.

Thanks! So in other words, none of the 3 trips that we have planned for October and December are covered even though we will be making final payments on all 3 before the policy ending date. Correct?

So in October, can we buy a new policy, with someone else, that will cover those trips even though final payments will have been made? Or is it best to renew the same policy? That's assuming that the trips will be covered because we made finals when the policy was in force?

Before I call Steve, I was really hoping to hear from someone that has been in the same situation with their annual insurance and how they worked around it. ;) I like to know a little about what I am up against before I calling. ;)

Before I call Steve, I was really hoping to hear from someone that has been in the same situation with their annual insurance and how they worked around it. ;) I like to know a little about what I am up against before I calling. ;)

What do you mean by "up against"?

Whatever the "rules are"... that's what they are.

As for the experience of others, you won't know with any certainty that their situation is exactly the same as yours, or perhaps that they have - or had - the exact same policy you have now.

Just ask either the insurer or the broker that you purchased it from.

It's not like there is some game-playing that is needed.

I also think that your question about "So in October, can we buy a new policy, with someone else, that will cover those trips even though final payments will have been made?" should be quite obvious. If the terms of a new policy are *not* met (e.g., you've too long ago made the initial deposit or final payment, for example) then you have your answer.

I never understand why some are so reticent about calling the provider about their specific situation.

GC

With the yearly plans, it doesn't matter when initial or final was made...at least that is what I understood from Steve.

So you've now called him and that what he has just confirmed, or that was what you were remembering from before?

Even though we renew our annual Roamright coverage, I'd like to hear others' experience with renewal or non-renewal, and what is covered on trips that span the renewal date.

You don't read about these annual policies much on this forum.

...Whatever the "rules are"... that's what they are. ...Just ask either the insurer or the broker that you purchased it from. It's not like there is some game-playing that is needed. ...

GC

Exactly. These companies are going to follow their own terms and conditions to a tee. Just call them and confirm one way or another.