Low Carb Dieting

jesskuhmarie

Just an update...

Was down 40 lbs on keto when I went on my cruise in mid April. 40 was my goal so I was pretty happy with that.

However after maintaining that weight for about a month after the cruise I decided to see if I could lose more just to see how I felt. Since then I 've lost another 20lbs. I am down 60 lbs in 8 months. Pretty much just stuck to the plan with an occasional intermittent fasting (18/6) and it's been fairly easy to lose the weight. I am now down to the weight I was in as a sophomore in high school and the lowest I've been in 47 years. This is where I will stay. I never thought I could get to my ideal BMI.

I feel good and don't look anemic like on other diets. I still haven't had any bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, or sweets in 8 months. Keto has become a way of life in my house now that my wife started doing it a couple months ago.

For those starting out, just stick to the plan, it works.

Just an update...

Was down 40 lbs on keto when I went on my cruise in mid April. 40 was my goal so I was pretty happy with that.

However after maintaining that weight for about a month after the cruise I decided to see if I could lose more just to see how I felt. Since then I 've lost another 20lbs. I am down 60 lbs in 8 months. Pretty much just stuck to the plan with an occasional intermittent fasting (18/6) and it's been fairly easy to lose the weight. I am now down to the weight I was in as a sophomore in high school and the lowest I've been in 47 years. This is where I will stay. I never thought I could get to my ideal BMI.

I feel good and don't look anemic like on other diets. I still haven't had any bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, or sweets in 8 months. Keto has become a way of life in my house now that my wife started doing it a couple months ago.

For those starting out, just stick to the plan, it works.

CONGRATULATIONS! that is awesome! I have eaten a little off plan but not bad - and only doing OMD (one meal a day) so getting in about 20-23 hours of IF (intermittent fasting) :)

We are enjoying a 'land cruise' with great cruising friend Roaming Retirees - Tom and Nancy in St. Louis, MO - awesome city to visit fun friends - decided that we have been going so much Monday will be a 'sea day' with time in quarters!! Bucket List - checked off St. Louis Arch - At least we did a "Dinner Cruise" on the Great Mississippi last night!

CONGRATULATIONS! that is awesome! I have eaten a little off plan but not bad - and only doing OMD (one meal a day) so getting in about 20-23 hours of IF (intermittent fasting) :)

We are enjoying a 'land cruise' with great cruising friend Roaming Retirees - Tom and Nancy in St. Louis, MO - awesome city to visit fun friends - decided that we have been going so much Monday will be a 'sea day' with time in quarters!! Bucket List - checked off St. Louis Arch - At least we did a "Dinner Cruise" on the Great Mississippi last night!

I've been pretty much got out of the habit of eating breakfast, doing brunches and dinners instead. Eating around 11 am and 6 pm. I lost 2.5 lbs this week (Monday mornings are weigh in) and am now at my ideal BMI. Going to have to maintain that weight so I may start eating breakfast again. Keto has worked out very well for me.

Traveling for 2 weeks at the end of the month to a foreign country. That should be interesting to see how to eat keto in a carb laden culture.

Hi All,

I started a low carb eating lifestyle about 2 months ago. I’m down 20lbs but I’m having a hard time getting my carbs down to 20 grams/day. I’ve been averaging 35/day. I use the Lose It! App and track everything I put in my mouth. I don’t eat breakfast, around 11 I’ll have 2oz cheese with a celery stick, lunch is minimal too. Dinner is healthy protein & veggies. I’m losing consistently, but wonder if I could do more. I test and I’m not in Ketosis 🤨 although I do not eat anything with sugar! Did I mention that I read Every label. Oh, but I do love a 3/4 c of sugar free pudding made with 2cups heavy cream/1 cup water.....could this be the reason?

Any advise?

Kim

Just wanted to report we are back off a 12 day cruise where DH and I stuck to our plan. No bread, potato, pasta, rice or breakfast. Gym 10 days out of 12. It was not a problem at all. On the last night we hit the dessert bar and every night we hit the bar. Result I gained 3lbs back up to 125 which I was more than pleased with, and which I am putting down completely to the wine.

This is our first low carb trip away and we didn't count at all just avoided the obvious like I said - we are now confident that we can continue this for the long term.

Hi All,

I started a low carb eating lifestyle about 2 months ago. I’m down 20lbs but I’m having a hard time getting my carbs down to 20 grams/day. I’ve been averaging 35/day. I use the Lose It! App and track everything I put in my mouth. I don’t eat breakfast, around 11 I’ll have 2oz cheese with a celery stick, lunch is minimal too. Dinner is healthy protein & veggies. I’m losing consistently, but wonder if I could do more. I test and I’m not in Ketosis 🤨 although I do not eat anything with sugar! Did I mention that I read Every label. Oh, but I do love a 3/4 c of sugar free pudding made with 2cups heavy cream/1 cup water.....could this be the reason?

Any advise?

Kim

Are you using a program like My Fitness Pal to track your intake. The goal is to not have more than 7 grams if carbs per meal. If you track them you can easily see what needs adjustments. For me a typical day is B- Coffee with heavy cream ( eat at break at work) 2 hard boiled eggs smashed with salsa and 2 pieces of precooked bacon [i cook a batch on Sunday along with eggs and bring it all to work]. L- caprease salad D- a bowl of chicken fajitas or steak and asparagus .

Congratulations to those of you that lost - or kept LCHF on a cruise - I just weighed and our 8-day land trip to St. Louis - visiting cruising buddies - we did only OMAD (one meal a day) - dinner out every night - ate a little off plan for first time in 28 months - did not gain - now to lose the 8 extra I have :) :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All,

Any advise?

Kim

Kim it could be the artificial sweeteners in the sugar free pudding that's knocking you out of ketosis. Some people are more sensitive to it than others. Or it could be protein. Ketosis is when you're body is using fat s is energy source. If you take in too much protein the protein turns to glucose and you're still using glucose as the energy source. Tracking really does help. I use the carb manager app.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are taking a 10 Day cruise in November. I just started with Keto and I am wondering about having a drink now and then. Does anyone know if they offer diet tonic water? I do enjoy a vodka tonic. Maybe I could bring my own on the ship just for that. I am definitely curious. I have reviewed the beverage menus but nothing mentioned about the mixers.

My drink of choice is vodka with soda water and a lime. My husband prefers it with a lemon lol. We steer clear of tonic because of the sugar or sugar substitute. What you might be able to bring that's a bit easier to carry on are those sugar free drops to add to your water. I saw some recently that were mojito flavored. Order a vodka soda and add a couple drops of those in voila! Keto Mojito!

It is also possible to lose weight an not be in 'ketosis' I just stay below 10-15 carbs per day - but most the time in Keto -

I drink vodka shots over the rocks and ask for sprite zero on the side add only a splash and a squeeze of lime - not carbs!

I also do wine with dinner - red wine!

Just starting today. I’ve done low fat for 40 years so this is really weird for me. Yesterday I bought heavy cream, cheese and all the bad stuff I’ve avoided forever. I want to lose 20 lbs hopefully most before the end of November cruise. I’ve ordered some supplements to try to avoid the keto flu. I’m using diet doctor for recipes and am thinking of an app to get. I’ve done weight watchers most my life.

I think the hardest thing might be cooking every meal. I will make a casserole tonight and be able to freeze and eat for lunches but still not too sure about what to get to have on hand for a quick meal. I love eggs and bacon but don’t want to eat it 3 times a day. I’m also concerned about eating too much.....my calculator says 1400 kcal per day and that’s not going to be much with all the fat calories. After a few days I think I can cut down to 2 meals and eat just 12:30 to 8:30 each day. ( I’m a nurse that gets up at 4:30 and gets home at 8:00 at night so this is the best I’ll be able to do.)

Just starting today. I’ve done low fat for 40 years so this is really weird for me. Yesterday I bought heavy cream, cheese and all the bad stuff I’ve avoided forever. I want to lose 20 lbs hopefully most before the end of November cruise. I’ve ordered some supplements to try to avoid the keto flu. I’m using diet doctor for recipes and am thinking of an app to get. I’ve done weight watchers most my life.

I think the hardest thing might be cooking every meal. I will make a casserole tonight and be able to freeze and eat for lunches but still not too sure about what to get to have on hand for a quick meal. I love eggs and bacon but don’t want to eat it 3 times a day. I’m also concerned about eating too much.....my calculator says 1400 kcal per day and that’s not going to be much with all the fat calories. After a few days I think I can cut down to 2 meals and eat just 12:30 to 8:30 each day. ( I’m a nurse that gets up at 4:30 and gets home at 8:00 at night so this is the best I’ll be able to do.)

You will love the freedom of this WOE (way of eating) it can fit any schedule - we usually do OMAD (one meal a day) so that the rest of the time is IF (intermittent fasting) GOOD LUCK

I have been on this eating plan for 2 weeks. I have lost a few pounds but I have noticed when I get hungry I am REALLY hungry and it comes on fast. I can get home from work and be that way. I do snack on a piece of cheese or olives till I can fix dinner. My husband is not on this diet, so sometimes it's a little time consuming to finally get to eat. Also, I notice that I am kind of irritable when hungry. For some people that is normal, but this is amplified. So I guess it will take time for my body to adjust. How do you all fast for 16 hours? I do ok with about 14 hrs, but only on weekends will I do it.

I have been on this eating plan for 2 weeks. I have lost a few pounds but I have noticed when I get hungry I am REALLY hungry and it comes on fast. I can get home from work and be that way. I do snack on a piece of cheese or olives till I can fix dinner. My husband is not on this diet, so sometimes it's a little time consuming to finally get to eat. Also, I notice that I am kind of irritable when hungry. For some people that is normal, but this is amplified. So I guess it will take time for my body to adjust. How do you all fast for 16 hours? I do ok with about 14 hrs, but only on weekends will I do it.

It all depends on your personal daily schedule. For me it is doable during the week. Last meal around 10pm, then skip breakfast, no snacks at work and then with an 18 hour fast I can have some light snacks at 4pm. Then workout and refueling properly afterwards. Just be careful to track your macro and micro nutrients and overall calories especially when doing any weightlifting or HIIT. The hardest part for me is to actually eat healthy nutrient dense food in the 6 hour window to cover everything needed.

Have learned a lot in the last 2 weeks. I’ve lost 5 pounds but know it will now slow down. We went out of town for the weekend and didn’t break keto but ate a bit too much as I gained back a little. I’m not real fluffy so have finally figured out how much I should be eating. I’m not saying it’s always easy but I don’t feel as starved as I used to on diets so it seems to be keeping away the bad urges for the most part.

Right now it’s work keeping track of fat, protein and carbs. I’m cooking more and make meals ahead for work. As a nurse I can skip breakfast but need lunch to make it through and then just have a snack later. Even today on my day off I had one meal plus a little more.

I’m trying to fast 16 hours a day too. I think this diet is more motivating then some.....you don’t want to cheat because it sets you back not a day like some diets but several days. I’ll keep going 2 more weeks and see how it goes....

No Keto flu but I am using some supplements for keto to help the nighttime leg cramps. Otherwise I don’t notice much change. I did buy the keto strips to reassure myself I was on track. Keeping it less then 20 carbs a day.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from two weeks in Peru. They don't know what keto is down there but I was able to pick out the meats and fat from all the rice, potatoes etc. It was impossible in some cases but I didn't gain any weight.

I also used fasting while traveling which worked well. For example the morning we left we flew to Miami (3 hours) then to Lima (5.5 hours). I fasted that day, nothing but water and coffee and had no problem thus avoiding air port food. Didn't eat until dinner that day. Did the same on the way home though it was even longer (Cuzco to Lima to Miami to home).

I did a couple 18 hour fasts during the first week as well (6pm to noon). The second week was hiking/camping along the Inca Trail so needed all the calories I could get.

I had read that keto was bad for high energy endeavors and for high altitude. We regularly hiked 5-7 hours per day at 11,000-14,000 feet. Food was provided but our cook didn't really know what keto was but he did his best to accommodate me. Nevertheless I stuck pretty close and ate very few carbs. Didn't have any problem with energy or altitude. Ate nuts, cheese and jerky as trail snacks instead of fruit, candy and snack/energy bars. It worked well for me.

One month now and have lost 8 pounds. I’m really pleased with this. 12 pounds more to go. I don’t expect as much next month but hoping for maybe 6 more off.

What I like about Keto is I’m not really hungry. I’m doing over all about the same amount of calories I usually do to loss weight but it’s coming off faster and I’m not starving. I’d be thrilled to lose it all in 3 months but time will tell. I do notice that eating out puts weight on even if I eat very few carbs. Wondering if restaurants add sugar to everything....right now I prefer to make all my own food.

One month now and have lost 8 pounds. I’m really pleased with this. 12 pounds more to go. I don’t expect as much next month but hoping for maybe 6 more off.

What I like about Keto is I’m not really hungry. I’m doing over all about the same amount of calories I usually do to loss weight but it’s coming off faster and I’m not starving. I’d be thrilled to lose it all in 3 months but time will tell. I do notice that eating out puts weight on even if I eat very few carbs. Wondering if restaurants add sugar to everything....right now I prefer to make all my own food.

I suspect that happens a lot - especially any sauces. I just got back from a cruise and while having someone else take care of the cooking and dishes, I'm glad to be back to my own kitchen;)

Yeah we use to eat at chili's and thought we were doing good by getting fajitas and just eating the meat and peppers and toppings... Apparently their maranade is basically pure sugar. IHOP omelets have pancake batter to make them fluffier... Ugh... Its hard to eat out. We've found some staples and try not to stray from them (Popeye blackened chicken and wingstop are some favs) but vacation is a whole new challenge! You're doing great and don't be surprised if your weight loss doesn't slow down at all next month!

After 30 moths of very successful Keto-LCHF - I pulled what I might call a 'binge' yesterday - Sh*t happens - very upsetting day - but okay -

OVER THAT - get back to the basic - BAO Fast this weel - Bacon - Avocados and Olives! :cool: