Johnny Rockets Milkshake now part of drink package.

Gesture? It's called a loss leader. You offer something free to drive the business. In this case you have to buy something to receive the shake free. In the long run it isn't really free unless you purchase a drink package.

Nor is it really even part of the drink package when they've raised the cover charge by the price of a milkshake, too.

I'd pay an extra $10 a cruise if RCL would dump Johnny Rockets and use the space for something useful, like soiled towel storage.

if JR wasn't making money, royal would get rid of it..

so clearly there are people who don't agree with you - including my daughter and son in law who enjoyed the two times they ate at JR on the symphony a few weeks ago....in fact, they said they enjoyed eating there more than the MDR or windjammer....

so clearly there are people who don't agree with you - including my daughter and son in law who enjoyed the two times they ate at JR on the symphony a few weeks ago....in fact, they said they enjoyed eating there more than the MDR or windjammer....

Royal is no doubt making money because the space is leased just like the Shops and Salons. But is JR showing a profit? That's the question.

Which if JR is raising the price of dining by double, I would venture to say customers may not be the quantity they are needing to break even. The food at JR is alright, at best. Their economic solution might be to push the bell curve on price as high as possible until the limited customers start to leave, and then we will see their ‘optimized’ price point. I always do the Ultimate Dining Package so I would never go and pay for JR when I can go eat at Chops or 150 CP or any other delicious restaurants that is included.

Osso Bucco > Greasy Burgers

Ha! I was on the Allure in April and we got milkshakes for free because we had the deluxe drink package and no one on here believed me.

It is possible you had a coupon for it that you didn't notice. On our last cruise in some of the paperwork was a coupon for a free JR milkshake. The coupon was already linked to our Seapass and the milkshakes showed up with no charge when we ordered them..

Recently Royal Caribbean's Deluxe & Refreshment Beverage Packages changed to include shakes at Johnny Rockets. However, because of the unforeseen high demand that resulted from this change, RCL has already "modified" the program to the following.

A milk shake is complimentary for passengers holding a Deluxe or Refreshment Beverage Package ONLY if they pay the normal Johnny Rockets COVER CHARGE. If you have one of those two packages, and pay the cover charge, the shake is free whether you are dining in the restaurant or taking the shake to go. If you DON'T pay the cover charge, and want the shake to go, they will charge you for it...whether you have one of those drink packages or not.

This is the policy as of today's date. However, the RCL representative stressed that this and any of RCL's policies are subject to change at any time without prior notice.

Just for curiosity...does someone know what the current price is for a shake at Johnny Rockets? Thanks!

For many people this will now equate to a $10 milkshake.

Clearly a demand for the product, RCL/JR just doing a "dumb and dumber skit" on their way to killing that demand. SMH

Customer - "I'd like my free Milkshake"

JR - "That'll be the $10 cover charge for food, and what will you be eating?"

I'd walk away without even asking what the shake costs stand alone.......

RCL could be making money from JR, without JR actually turning a profit themselves...............

It is possible you had a coupon for it that you didn't notice. On our last cruise in some of the paperwork was a coupon for a free JR milkshake. The coupon was already linked to our Seapass and the milkshakes showed up with no charge when we ordered them..

Same thing happened to us in March on Allure, and everybody here told us we were wrong and said it did not happen.

We were on the 5 August Oasis sailing. My issue is not that JR charges a cover. It is that the Royal website listed the milkshakes as included in the package, only to find out once on the ship that we would be required to pay for the sit down meal in order to get them. If there was any indication on the website that a charge would still be applied then it wouldn't have come as a suprise. In this case, Royal's communication was less than desirable.

What I’ve read recently that if you are eating in JR ( and paying the cover charge) you will be allowed one milkshake if you have the Deluxe or Refreshment Package.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That is so generous of them!! Seeing as they raised the surcharge for JR's by the price of a shake. :rolleyes: #Bait&switch #Hookline&sinker

RCL could be making money from JR, without JR actually turning a profit themselves...............

and if they don't turn a profit, why would they continue on the ship?

presumably they have a contract with royal for some specified period of time, but if they weren't turning a profit, why would they agree to being included on the symphony?

again, DD and DSIL enjoyed eating there on the symphony a few weeks ago, and i believe they said it was always busy...

now it's possible that this is true while the ship is in europe.....europeans (including my kids) enjoying the novelty of JR...

now it's possible that this is true while the ship is in europe.....europeans (including my kids) enjoying the novelty of JR...

It is definitely the novelty that draws them in. It’s just another mall franchise venue to those of us who have them in the area. To be honest I wouldn’t even go out of my way for the free shake.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So what happens on the ships that charge a la cart for JR? (Anthem) They don't have a sit down restaurant for JR. Would the milkshake be free on a DP but you have to buy something to eat too?

I don't drink Milkshakes unless everything is lactose free but DH loves them.

and if they don't turn a profit, why would they continue on the ship?

presumably they have a contract with royal for some specified period of time, but if they weren't turning a profit, why would they agree to being included on the symphony?

again, DD and DSIL enjoyed eating there on the symphony a few weeks ago, and i believe they said it was always busy...

I work in a business that routinely deals with people that run red ink for YEARS before they throw in the towel. Who knows, they may think a Symphony location will be the one that turns the books black instead of red.

Could be a million reasons.

All I'm saying is this "promotion" was handled terribly. And if increasing volume to JR's was the intention, sure didn't seem to work as they had to cancel the original idea within weeks.

I can confirm that as of yesterday on the adventure, you can just go and get a milkshake with the deluxe or refreshment package.
I'm sure a lot of people will be pleased to hear this news. I never did get one the two weeks we were on Adventure, but our boys certainly enjoyed them.

• 4 weeks later...

Currently on my last day of a 7 night cruise on Freedom out of Puerto Rico with a deluxe beverage package. Just ordered a milkshake, no charge. I just walked up to the bar at Johnny Rockets and someone took my order for it. Did not need to pay the cover charge or order food. They ran my card through the register and did print a receipt (the first time I saw one the whole cruise with my drink package) that I had to sign, tip optional - I did, $1. But the total was $0.00

I'll def be back after diner tonight to get another one and then stop at a few bars on the way to our room to jazz it up!