Bringing fans on board

I always carry a small (8 inch) travel fan with me. It is rechargeable battery operated. I just leave it plugged in while I am sleeping. I bought it online for very little and it has proven to be a good investment, durable, dependable.......

Happy cruising :cool::cool:

I always carry a small (8 inch) travel fan with me. It is rechargeable battery operated. I just leave it plugged in while I am sleeping. I bought it online for very little and it has proven to be a good investment, durable, dependable.......

Happy cruising :cool::cool:

Sounds like something we would like to buy...can you provide the brand name? Thanks.

Fan is not on prohibited items list at https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy and I've taken 1 in my carry-on bag for 6 RC cruises over the last few years and never had it questioned. Mine is like this https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/vornado-reg-personal-air-circulator/1042196570?categoryId=14950 with a power cord.

I got this response from special needs dept when I requested a fan. "The ships do not have fans for guest use onboard, however, the guest can bring their own if needed. (Electric fans are permitted.)"

Previously we had requested and received a fan thru Special Needs on several cruises.

Then last September I got this same email. Took an electric fan and my bag ended up in naughty room. Went down to claim and they tried to confiscate. Showed them the email from special needs and they allowed me to take the bag and fan.

Shortly after returning to our room an officer came to the door and asked for the fan. Went through the entire scenario again. He wouldn’t budge said it was a fire hazard. Same fan we’ve boarded with several times , just a small travel fan.

They did provide us with a box fan afterwards and we had to claim the fan at the end of the cruise. This was onboard Liberty of the Seas September 2017.

We then purchased a battery operated fan that also has a removable plug. I just took the plug out and put with my chargers. I did put batteries in the fan but used the plug at night. No problem getting onboard Radiance in Alaska June 2018.

We’ll what happens October onboard Allure.

Photo of the type we were allowed to take onboard. b94eee18c82121d1ddf413156feea553.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Previously we had requested and received a fan thru Special Needs on several cruises.

Then last September I got this same email. Took an electric fan and my bag ended up in naughty room. Went down to claim and they tried to confiscate. Showed them the email from special needs and they allowed me to take the bag and fan.

Shortly after returning to our room an officer came to the door and asked for the fan. Went through the entire scenario again. He wouldn’t budge said it was a fire hazard. Same fan we’ve boarded with several times , just a small travel fan.

They did provide us with a box fan afterwards and we had to claim the fan at the end of the cruise. This was onboard Liberty of the Seas September 2017.

We then purchased a battery operated fan that also has a removable plug. I just took the plug out and put with my chargers. I did put batteries in the fan but used the plug at night. No problem getting onboard Radiance in Alaska June 2018.

We’ll what happens October onboard Allure.

Photo of the type we were allowed to take onboard. b94eee18c82121d1ddf413156feea553.png

Does this provide a good noise level? Some fans are designed to be ultra quiet which defeats the purpose of the fan for white noise. Thanks!

Does this provide a good noise level? Some fans are designed to be ultra quiet which defeats the purpose of the fan for white noise. Thanks!

It provided enough white noise for me. Not really loud like a box fan but just enough for me. I have to have the noise as well as the breeze on my face to sleep.

Also this fan is cheaper thru Walmart I noticed earlier.

• 1 year later...

For what it's worth, I travel a lot for business and need white noise to sleep, I have apps on my phone and ipad for that purpose.  Since the screen can be off, the phone or ipad charges fully even if the app is running all night.  Doesn't address air circulation, if you need that, but if you're using a fan for white noise (as I've done for years at home), maybe an app will be helpful for you with travel.

I have a 5 in. desk fan that I bring on ANY trip, whether ship or hotel.  Have to have air movement at night.  Bring electric, if you need it to run continuously.  Battery powered won't last the entire trip and batteries are HEAVY....bring an extension cord WITHOUT a surge protector.....

14 hours ago, CruisesByDebbie said:

I have this one that uses either USB port or electric adapter.  That should be okay, right?

I bring a similar fan (although it doesn't have the USB option) and my bags always to through Security just fine.  (And you can see from my signature I've been on several cruises lately.)

• Like 1

I have requested a box fan for our cruise on the Serenade this Friday.  I received two responses.   One said a box fan would be waiting for me.  The other said the Serenade does not have box fans, but a small fan will be provided.   Time will tell.