Park West VIP cruises

I have been invited by Park West Galleries to take an all expense paid cruise in September. I have bought several pieces of relatively inexpensive art from them thru the years but am concerned that since they are paying for my cruise, they are going to turn up the heat and make it very high pressure and stressful. Does anyone have any experiences with Park West VIP cruises. I'm new to Cruise Critic First post

• Like 1

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

There was a Park West sponsored gratis cruise on a Celebrity ship we were on in 2015. We saw, and talked to, some of the passengers involved. They were wined and dined for the entire cruise. Park West brought some of their popular artists on board to push their art. The Park West guests on our cruise were given private auction events.

We surmised that the gifted passengers were expected to make both numerous purchases and expensive ones as well. One passenger did purchase in excess of $100,000 and several others weren't far behind.

We got the impression that there was pressure to buy. Needless to say the wine and liquor flowed freely.

I don't know how comfortable you might be in this environment and if you would find their offer worthwhile. We are very familiar with Park West and would not accept their offer - if it were offered.

• Like 1

I have been invited by Park West Galleries to take an all expense paid cruise in September. I have bought several pieces of relatively inexpensive art from them thru the years but am concerned that since they are paying for my cruise, they are going to turn up the heat and make it very high pressure and stressful. Does anyone have any experiences with Park West VIP cruises. I'm new to Cruise Critic First post

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I have no problem saying No.....

I would go on the cruise and tell them up front that you appreciate them bringing you on the cruise based on your past purchases but you will not be purchasing art on this cruise.

If you feel any pressure....don't go to any of their events.

Enjoy the ship.....

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I go by the old addage that if it sounds too good to be true, don't do it.

Same goes for window shopping the jewelry onboard. Had some guy on the last cruise we were on (Anthem) tell us that he was the "designer" of a piece we were just looking at and offered us half off the piece but he was whispering saying he's not authorized to do it that low. Very gimmicky gestures, even the sales staff there will lay it on thick, be careful.

Welcome to CC.

We just returned from a cruise on Serenade in January that had Park West on board for their VIP cruise. We had 4 sea days, 2 at the beginning and 2 at the end, and on those days, they completely took over the Colony Club. They had meetings and seminars and there were several artists on board. On port days, their activity was not as noticeable around the ship.

I was not invited on a VIP cruise but in January 2016 I was invited to a VIP land event on Miami Beach. Since I live near Ft Lauderdale and it wouldn't cost me more that a few dollars for gas I decided to go. The featured artists were Peter Max, Romero Britto and Daniel Wall. All three artists were present at the show. The event was held at a 5 star hotel on Miami Beach from Thursday evening until Sunday afternoon. We were wined and dined the entire time. Auctions were held on Friday, Saturday and Sunday afternoons with fun events on Friday and Saturday nights. While some people did spend tremendous amounts of money I never felt any pressure to make a purchase. I did buy a small 3D Britto that I had had my eye on from seeing it on previous cruises. If I were invited on one of their cruises I would not hesitate to go. The worst that will happen is you won't ever be invited again.

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

My mom received this opportunity after buying artwork on a June 2015 cruise aboard Independence of the Seas. She was invited to bring a guest (me) on a Dec 2015 sailing of the then very new Anthem of the Seas. We had to pay our way to NYC but after that it was on them! Hotel was the Marriott Marquis on Times Square, Dinner at Carmine’s, Champagne reception ... Bus transportation to the ship. On board, Sea days were filled with art seminars, they bring artists on board, the alcohol is free at their events and kept very separate from the regular Park West activity for the ship. There was no high pressure sales, although mom bought more ... I was impressed thinking there was some kinda timeshare-like hook to it in the end. If you can’t go this time, you can ask for them to keep you on the list for the next time! My mom took advantage of befriending one of our vip auction staff to get the skinny. You hot a certain number and they will invite you to a land based show or free cruise.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just tagging on to keep informed from you all and learn more about Park West.

We purchased some art this past summer on Celebrity. Knowing they keep a data base and work with the cruise line, I have been wondering if they will try to intice us back to thier auction on our December cruise?

Looking forward to hearing the inside scoop.

Thanks eveyone!

We haven’t been invited on a cruise with them, but have been to several land auctions. You get invited back by making purchases. We have always bought as the DH loves this time. I am his gage for knowing our limit. We have never felt pressured by Parkwest. We have always been treated more than fairly. Personally I would go if asked!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 4 years later...

I have been on a few and we have been very happy. They treat you very well anticipating you will repeat your spending. Special events, dinners, etc. I have never been pressured unless we showed an interest in a piece and talked to them about the piece. Its fun meeting some artists as well. I wouldn’t turn down a free trip. If you can’t afford to purchase don’t but enjoy your trip. One negative, don’t choose a cruise where they have chartered the whole boat. In 2021 we choose a river cruise on the American Queen and was so excited to finally go on a river cruise. The major problem was Park West had total control of the boat because it was chartered. Only half of a crew to serve everyone. The bars were seldom open, couldn’t get food when desired, no activities and crew was overworked. Big ships, kudos to Park West…We enjoy it very much.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cigar King said:

I just don't see why CC doesn't lock the treads after a period of time.  There's generally, not a lot of value following up on topics that are older.

I mean, they don't shut down "Old Cogger" accounts either, perhaps they should start?

I'm not going to trash Park West. We purchased a Rockwell paints Garfield, Jim Davis signed litho  in the early '90s. The framing at home was outrageous, but it certainly hasn't lost value. I think it was $60 when we bought it. And I love it. We really like cats. 

The more recent stories about Peter Max and Thomas Kincade are alarming and sad. But it doesn't matter, because that was our only purchase. We received invitations to the Park West local gallery for wine & cheese and shopping, for a while. But no VIP Cruises offers. Lucky You! ☺️

Edited by Coralc

11 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

What is an Old Cogger?  

I meant "old codger," sorry for the misspelling: meaning a crusty or testy, basically an "old fogy."  Furthermore, the expanded definition of "silly or ignorant," comes in play here. 

On 1/27/2023 at 11:05 AM, Cigar King said:

I just don't see why CC doesn't lock the treads after a period of time.  There's generally, not a lot of value following up on topics that are older.

you ALWAYS have the option of ignoring any given topic or post. Avail yourself of it if it bothers you.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

We went on a VIP art cruise with them in January 2019.  We had a fabulous time and were never pressured to buy.  We loved meeting the artists and one of them even personalized his work for us.  He told us to video him while he painted so we had proof that it was original.  We were wined and dined and had an amazing time.  I was told by one of the Auction staff that what event you are invited to depends on how much you spend.  3 tiers land event, cruise, and international cruise.  I don't know what those dollar amounts are but there are guidelines for them to follow.