How did you create a web site where you show cruise pictures?

Cruise Blogs & Websites
Share your personal cruise-related blog or website with others!

This forum is a showcase for your PERSONAL cruise website or blog.

Please do not link to commercial websites or cruise message board forums here.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:57 PM.
East Texas
83 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Good Deal!

This is a pretty good listing of photo sharing sites.

Wikipedia List of Photo Sharing Sites

Start with a free site that's easy for you to use - that's what I like about Picasa - you get everything you need in one package, but as this list shows, there's plenty of choices. Most of the free sites are aimed at newbies so they'll be fairly simple to use. With a "pay-only" site you will not be bothered with ads, etc, your stuff will look better, and the support will be more complete and more personal, but the sites will be more complicated.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Len & Judy
1,526 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Originally posted by Loblolly_Cruiser
I now use a "pay-only" site, but I have my own domain name and can do virtually anything I want with the site. I'm still a rank amateur at it, but I have a boat load of fun with it!
Len, you are my kind of guy and your motto: 'have a boat load of fun with it'. To create a web site can indeed be a lot of fun. I still do.

Judy and you have shown us some marvelous pictures on your site. The scenery and the composition of the barns and background are superb. Are you by chance a professional photographer in disguise?

Since you also have a private web site, I am curious about the provider or server you use. I mentioned what I did (1&1) but as long as we opened the door, some others might be interested to compare these sites as well. Do you mind telling us?
East Texas
83 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
LairBear & Where2Next - excellent websites!

12B&C - have you found what you were looking for? When you get something going post a link for us.

No pros here... strictly a hobby. Our site is powered by SmugMug.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Len & Judy
267 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
12B&C - have you found what you were looking for? When you get something going post a link for us.
I am still looking into the details. I like what you did with the SmugMug photo gallery. You have some beautiful photos. Yet, I also like the variety of things you can do with the 1&1 web site provider. I think the features that Lair Bear has shown (such as the interactive map of his Bruges walking tour) are probably beyond my reach right now. But I am a fast learner, ha, ha.
There is the question about price. The standard SmugMug route at $39.95 per year is limited to photos and some narrative only. The more custom version is $59.95. The 1&1 package starts at $1.99 per month and then goes up to $3.99 per month.
I am already toying with domain names such as www.wantobeatsea.com. But then again, I may be more general.
I will let you know what I decide. But I plan to ask more questions.
Where My Suitcase Is
3,632 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
LairBear..

A couple of things for you...

1st thanks for the pdf idea..I'll need to think about how we can use that....

I saw your post about blogging on your cruise on the other thread

We have blogged on land vacations using internet cafes or the hotel we are staying at offered a computer for its guests

This year we purchased a Dell Mini 9. My DH and I are traveling again by land for 3 weeks and most places have free wifi even in the cave hotel in Cappadocia Turkey! We can also take the memory card out of our camera and load pictures right onto the laptop because it comes with a sd card slot.

When I have cruised with my Mom..I brought a laptop, I wrote the blog offline and then signed on, copied and pasted .....it was totally easy.
However, I would not take the time to upload photos on the cruise...
even with my free internet minutes on Princess, I would just drain them quickly waiting for them to upload.
I suppose you could take your laptop into a port searching for a free wifi option

If you would like I give you a full report on the Dell Mini and how it worked out for us when we return in May.
1,526 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
However, despite the tittle above, if anyone who has their own website and is interested in creating a format that is easy to print, let me know. Just send me an email and I will give you specific details on how to do it.

PDF stands for Portable Document Format. I know that does not explain much, but Wikipedia might help http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pdf

Now there are a couple 'free' versions that do the same thing, so you don't have to 'buy' the version offered by Adobe. But it still requires (to the best of my knowledge) that you have the Adobe 'read only' version installed on your computer.

This answer was in response to a couple of inquiries. If it does not fit with this forum, please remove this posting.

BTW. Sorry about my tittle error. Is there a way to correct creat to create??
Where My Suitcase Is
3,632 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Lair Bear...

I think you are ok...

since Host Kat gave us this sticky to discuss
how we build and maintain our websites
in addition to share ideas and solutions with each other!
La Marque, TX
10,140 Posts
Joined May 2005
Originally posted by Lair Bear
... Sorry about my tittle error. Is there a way to correct creat to create??
Done per your request.

Glad I could help!

Kat
La Marque, TX
10,140 Posts
Joined May 2005
Originally posted by where2next
Host Kat...

I just re-read what I wrote I didn't mean to say stinky
....it was sticky..

oops
I have now corrected it for you.

Kat
Florida
17 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
go to www.shutterfly.com and sign up for their services, then chose the option where you can make a webpage. Upload your photos to your shutterfly website, and then just tell your friends (or fellow CC members) the name of the website. Shutterfly will let you chose the name, and if its taken, they'll make you chose another one. There are MANY ways, but this is the EASIEST that I know of, for someone who isn't too familiar with the computer. I think you can do the same with Flicker or Flickr (not sure how they spell it). Hope this helps. When in doubt, as your kids or grandkids or neighbors kids. They know MUCH MORE than our generation will ever know. I think they come out of the womb with more technical knowledge than we have at 50 years old!
Atlanta, Georgia
127 Posts
Joined May 2009
good place to start: do a Google search for "photo sharing sites" you'll find a bunch of 'em, most of 'em FREE. The free sites have easy to understand instructions and are good for newbies. Although I don't use it much anymore, I started with Google's Picasa. I now use a "pay-only" site, but I have my own domain name and can do virtually anything I want with the site. I'm still a rank amateur at it, but I have a boat load of fun with it!
Len & Judy,
I'm originally from south Georgia so I know the loblolly well! Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful photos and your travelogue. My parents are planning a trip to Alaska next year so I shared it with them as well.
Hope you enjoy your cruise and land tour!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jennifer
Atlanta, GA

Celebrity Solstice 10/19/09 11 Night Eastern Med
Ontari-ari-ari-O
169 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
I should add that, if'n you don't have a personal website, you can create a BLOG ... for free.

Check it out:

https://www.blogger.com/start
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

La Marque, TX
10,140 Posts
Joined May 2005
Originally posted by Host Kat >^..^<
Please remember the rules for posting a website on this forum:

Cruise Blogs & Websites
Share your personal cruise-related blog or website with others!

This forum is a showcase for your PERSONAL cruise website or blog.

Please do not link to commercial websites or cruise message board forums here.

Also the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic membership:

Other Cruise & Travel Sites
Cruise Critic reserves the right to approve or deny links which lead directly to or link to cruise-related material or message boards that are not located within Cruise Critic.

Additionally, we respectfully request that you do not use our forums to promote or advertise other cruise-related websites.

I sincerely hope this information will be helpful to all...
Please note this Cruise Blogs & Websites Forum is for members to share their travelogue-style personal cruise-related blog site or web site address with others. If your blog or website address does not fit the description, do not post it on this forum. It will be removed.

Kat
N. Calif., USA
3,190 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
since i only take pictures..i ll use Roxio s Photoshows
to create slideshows..but, there is a small yrly fee..

when i open the Roxio icon..if i have any new photo s in *My Pictures*
it ll prompt me to whether i want to load them into the program..once there i can either leave them in storage or create a slideshow..

it also has option s to rearange the order of the slides, add music,
comments or to edit the picture..there s more feature..but, im still
learning the program..
267 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Originally posted by deepnite10
since i only take pictures..i ll use Roxio s Photoshows
to create slideshows..but, there is a small yrly fee..

when i open the Roxio icon..if i have any new photo s in *My Pictures*
it ll prompt me to whether i want to load them into the program..once there i can either leave them in storage or create a slideshow..

it also has option s to rearange the order of the slides, add music,
comments or to edit the picture..there s more feature..but, im still
learning the program..
I had a little difficulty reading this post, so I translated it for my own benefit (and perhaps other's).

"Since I only take pictures, I’ll use Roxio’s Photoshows to create slideshows; but there is a small yearly fee when I open the Roxio icon.
If I have any new photos in ‘My Pictures’, it will prompt me to whether I want to load them into the program. Once there, I can either leave them in storage or create a slideshow.
It also has options to rearrange the order of the slides, add music, comments or to edit the picture. There are more features, but I am still learning the program."

Is this about right?

I would like to add that my efforts to create a web site along the lines of what Lair Bear has done: it has been slow and on the back burner. I have lots of pictures and ideas that would be of interest to our friends, but maybe too boring to others (such as those who follow Cruise Critic).

Meanwhile I keep watching what our bear friend and Ine have to say about Holland, our favorite country in Europe.
Where My Suitcase Is
3,632 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
I had a little difficulty reading this post, so I translated it for my own benefit (and perhaps other's).

I would like to add that my efforts to create a web site along the lines of what Lair Bear has done: it has been slow and on the back burner. I have lots of pictures and ideas that would be of interest to our friends, but maybe too boring to others (such as those who follow Cruise Critic).
I know that I'm behind with all my picture loading and updates to our website...

between the business of life and on top of that

the weather has been too wonderful to warrant being inside in front of a computer ...

I'm figuring when it gets a bit chillier, I will buckle down!

Hopefully you'll find some time too, when the weather outside is frightful!
N. Calif., USA
3,190 Posts
Joined Aug 2007

"Since I only take pictures, I’ll use Roxio’s Photoshows to create slideshows; but there is a small yearly fee when I open the Roxio icon.
If I have any new photos in ‘My Pictures’, it will prompt me to whether I want to load them into the program. Once there, I can either leave them in storage or create a slideshow.
It also has options to rearrange the order of the slides, add music, comments or to edit the picture. There are more features, but I am still learning the program."

Is this about right?

Meanwhile I keep watching what our bear friend and Ine have to say about Holland, our favorite country in Europe.
i thought i said that ..your right though..

now, they ve add d a new feature..when you click on the Photoshow icon..and new pictures are add d automaticly..so you ll have alot of folders with new pics in them that have not yet been coverted to a slide show..it s easy enough to make one once they ve been loaded..

anytime you don t want those folders in your Photoshow file just delete them..
267 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
hi deepnine10 i hetta look at yur sugggeston an i an not ibnpresssed

For $40 per year you can have a 'slide show' with your pictures. The idea is to modify these with tittles and comics that are supposed to be cute. At least that is what I got out of the samples their web site showed.

For the same price I can have a real web site.

So, now I really want to tackle it. But, as where2next said, maybe I will wait until the weather is terrible.
Oh, you procrastinator!