Quick passport question

Shutterlady

I had to change my cruise from January to the middle of December and need to get our passports renewed. We just went and got our pictures redone today. Does anyone have any idea how long the passports will take to get back? I thought we had more time to get this taken care of. Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

I gather your statement that you just got your new photos today means you haven't yet submitted the renewal application. It sounds like the cost of the expedite fee would be worth it for your peace of mind, even though you likely would receive the new passports on time without it.

General turnaround time (without the expediting fee) is 4-6 weeks. There's no major backlog at the moment, so it shouldn't be any longer than that. I'm reserved on a January cruise, and just had to submit my own passport for renewal, and sent it in last week. Basically, there's more than three months left til sailing, so I'm not worried.

Slightly off topic. Does anybody know how early one can renew a passport? I have 4 cruises booked at the moment. 2 are fine but the other two will need a passport renewal before I can even complete the personalizer info.

Even more off topic question: California is supposed to require the updated type of driver's license by 2020. Mine doesn't expire until 2011. D'Oh! Does anybody know if these can be renewed early and, if so, how early???

OP: I think you are fine with the regular renewal unless there is something "odd" you don't want to disclose here. In that case do the expedited service as it may still take a while.

Slightly off topic. Does anybody know how early one can renew a passport? I have 4 cruises booked at the moment. 2 are fine but the other two will need a passport renewal before I can even complete the personalizer info. You can renew a passport at any time. Just be aware that the new expiration date will be 10 years from the date of issue of the NEW passport, not 10 years added onto the current passport's expiration date.

Even more off topic question: California is supposed to require the updated type of driver's license by 2020. Mine doesn't expire until 2011. D'Oh! Does anybody know if these can be renewed early and, if so, how early???You only have to have the "new" DL if you don't have a passport. But, I believe, you can get a new DL at anytime.

OP: I think you are fine with the regular renewal unless there is something "odd" you don't want to disclose here. In that case do the expedited service as it may still take a while.

My responses in red.

I had to renew mine last December because I used it on a cruise in November and then needed it for a cruise the following March. I had a bit of a short time to get the renewal. Luckily I had it back in 2 weeks even with the holidays coming up. I have heard of as much as 6 weeks but that was several years ago. I do believe they have shortened the time. Good luck.

Even more off topic question: California is supposed to require the updated type of driver's license by 2020. Mine doesn't expire until 2011. D'Oh! Does anybody know if these can be renewed early and, if so, how early???

My wife just renewed her CDL and had to go in this time. Getting an appointment at the DMV is very difficult right now and it's no guarantee that they'll be able to process you at the time of your appointment. In other words, you may need to wait. My wife was there for 3 hours last week. Ugh...

What's driving this (pun intended)? People who saw the news reports saying they needed to get their Real ID drivers licenses and flooding the DMV. This was particularly bad earlier this year before the new processes were worked out, and has pushed the wait times out throughout this year. By the way, the DMV website has the documentation you need to get a Real ID. There are options for each type of document you need to provide.

If you have a passport (the best ID there is), there's no need to get a new driver's license early (although yours seems to have expired 7 years ago). :D:p:D

In July I did expedited for DH because he was traveling out of the country solo before our cruise. His was back in two weeks. I sent mine non-expedited at the same time and mine came back four or five days after his. I am in the northeast and went through the Philadelphia processing center.

I had to change my cruise from January to the middle of December and need to get our passports renewed. We just went and got our pictures redone today. Does anyone have any idea how long the passports will take to get back? I thought we had more time to get this taken care of. Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

3-4 weeks.

It did take more than a month years ago when they started pushing the requirement to have passports and were flooded with applications. But that was several years ago.

We did a short 7 day cruise out of Galveston earlier this month on the Breeze. I was astounded by the number of pax that did not have passports. When we went into the terminal leaving the ship the line for passports was small and we got through in a short time while the lines for the non-passport holders was huge. From what I saw, it appeared that only 1/3 of the pax was traveling on a passport.