Rome - pickpockets and street crime

twokids0204

Forgive me if this has been discussed here, or if this post isn't appropriate. But...

On travel websites, travel videos, cruise discussions, as well as talking to past travelers, the thing that keeps coming up is pickpockets and crime in Rome.

Our cruise departs in Rome (ok Civitavecchia), and we planned on staying a couple days in Rome to tour at the end of it.

My question, how bad is it really? What can I do to mitigate the risk? Any tips to protect myself and family?

And a completely separate discussion, if it is so bad, why isn't local law enforcement cracking down and ending this once and for all.

I have no factual data on this but I have seen a lot of improvement in Rome from when I first visited close to 30 years ago and to me not as bad as say Barcelona but it still happens.

A few things:

Minimize the jewelry you were. I wear a relatively inexpensive sports watch and my wife the same. She'll wear basic earrings and that's it.

I wear a wallet under my shirt. I take one credit card, one atm card and some euros and leave my wallet with all the other cards on the ship or in the hotel.

We watch our surroundings are try to be street smart. I do this in all cities including the USA. By this I mean I watch who is ahead of us and who is getting close from behind. If someone(s) are getting close to us from behind we move to our right and stop and let them pass us. I would rather be behind them.

If you are in a crowded area hold your camera close to you and have a grip on it.

We never carry passports with us unless it was a requirement of local authorities which is not the case in Italy but leave that in your hotel safe as well or if on a ship on the ship.

Don't fall for any tricks.

- In the old days I saw this more but a gypsy who almost is throwing you a baby so that you reach up for it while they rob you.

- Someone who spray paints you and then someone who offers to assist you. Likely that person(s) will rob you.

- And even be cautious if someone tries to stop you.

Again as to perspective I think it is far less a problem as it used to be. And a good deal of that is attributable to the local authorities.

Remember law enforcement can't be everywhere. In my own country there are killings, robberies and other crimes every day and often and we do have a lot of law enforcement.

The key is just to be aware, take some precautions, remember that you are a tourist so don't go into areas that are off the beaten path but at the same time enjoy all that Rome has to offer. It is an amazing city which we enjoy going back to again and again and again.

In fact, we are returning again later this year.

Keith

I frequently visit Italy and I wear a silk passport wallet underneath my shirt - I have never had an issue with pickpockets. I carry only what I need - one credit card & some currency. If you exercise caution, you should have no problems.

I also carry a small purse, cross body. If I am a victim of a pickpocket, I truly hope that said pickpocket enjoys my tissues, aspirin, brush, chapstick & the like. I carry nothing of value in my purse.

Rome is fantastic - enjoy!

So lets take the OP's excellent post to a different level. Street crime is all too common throughout Europe.....not just in Rome. In fact, we suspect (this is anecdotal) that the pick pocket issue is worse in Barcelona then in Rome. One needs to treat street crime (we are talking about pick pockets and purse snatcher....without violence) as an everyday risk and learn to take basic precautions as part of your daily routine. Understand that there are many highly skilled pickpockets in Europe (lots of them are Gypsies or Roma) and they tend to look for the easiest "marks." By making yourself "less easy" you strongly tilt the odds in your favor that the criminals will look for somebody else :).

There are many ideas, some simple and some complex. to protect one's valuables. As has been posted, do not wear expensive jewelry (which not only is a tempting target but marks you as somebody of some means). Men should never, ever, carry a wallet in their back pocket! I will usually keep my valuables in a front pocket. When I carry a wallet I put 1 or 2 thick rubber bands around it which helps make sure nothing falls out...and makes it more difficult to slide my wallet out of my pocket. I often use a large safety pin to further secure my front pockets. You will sometimes see folks who carry backpacks wearing them on their front (rather then back)...which is a pretty good safety technique. DW will secure the zippers of her purse with a safety pin and always wear it "cross shoulder." And she will never put her purse down ( a few years ago we watched a pick pocket (in Barcelona) snatch a purse that a lady had put under her chair at a cafe).

Others will use a neck pouch which hangs around one's neck...and is kept under your shirt. Some like compact money belts which are worn under a shirt. Fanny Packs (Bum Packs for you Brits) have lots much of their popularity, but its an option. Years ago when I wore a fanny pack a little boy (about 10) tried to steal my valuables (in Arles, France) by sliding a newspaper over my fanny pack (as he tried to sell me the paper) while he reached underneath (shame shame).

One other tip. Be very careful when using ATMs. Its best to have somebody watch your back. Do a quick check of the ATM machine to make sure nothing is amiss (like a sniffer that is stuck over the slot or something that looks like a strange modification). Stick to bank-owned ATMs and make sure to cover your hand/fingers when you are entering the PIN. There are some excellent on-line tutorials about ATM fraud and modifications and its a good idea to watch one or two of these things before a trip.

But, we will tell the OP that there a lot of very good news :). Unlike in the USA, most European street crime is about slight of hand or distraction.....not violence. In some of our cities a person might mug you (or worse) to steal your valuables. That is not so common in Europe where skill and finesse reign supreme.

And finally a word about "distraction" which is becoming increasingly popular with gypsies, tramps and theives :). One common technique is for a stranger to "accidentally" spill or dump something on you...and then politely try to help you clean up the mess (while another person is picking your pocket). of somebody might come up to you, put a map in your face and ask you for help with directions (while they or another is picking your pocket). And then there is the less used "gang" technique where you might be subtely surrounded by a few young people (often while on a crowded subway or train) while 1 or 2 pick you clean. If you think this is happening try to move away....or even make loud noise if necessary. The best advice I ever heard was always be alert and aware of your surroundings.

DW and I have traveled extensive for decades and have never had anything stolen (knock on wood). In all of our travels we have directly foiled 3 pick pocket attempts (Arles, France; Bologna, Italy and Istanbul) and foiled an attempted (and sad) mugging attempt (the guy was high as a kite) in London (during broad daylight). Given the amount of time we spend traveling that is actually a pretty good record. Take basic precautions and its likely you will never have to foil any attempts.

Hank

Pickpocketing is a real possibility in many large cities -- not just Rome. In fact, it's about the same as in Paris, Naples, Athens, Madrid, London, etc. And perhaps less than Barcelona....

Other than pickpocketing, crime is not very high -- and in fact it is probably a lot more risky walking around most US cities in terms of physical danger.

Roman authorities (like the authorities anywhere) can only do so much because the tourists involved leave town and are not going to come back to serve as a witness in some later courtroom setting. I was told this in Barcelona after my wallet was lifted by pickpockets and I went to the station to file a report. (Which, by the way, is necessary in some cases if any credit card or ATM fraud has been committed after the theft.)

Edited to add: After re-reading your post, I also want to emphasize that if you are traveling with children who are used to having their cell phones out at all times and using them to text, etc. -- I would really discourage this. Cell phones are a desirable target and easy to grab when one isn't 100% focused on surroundings. If they must use the phone, make sure it is when you're all sitting somewhere (rather than walking) and that someone is paying close attention to passersby.

We had no issues in Rome, but of course were cautious travellers. We both purchased rather pricey travel bags (over the shoulder for both) that are slash resistant and also have stuff in them to prevent the use of credit card readers. If you can afford it, get one of these bags--they also have all kinds of zippered compartments and clasps for attaching wallets, etc.

We never took more than we needed out with us, leaving the rest safely in a safe in the hotel.

On our most recent trip, my husband brought along an old wallet that he didn't care about. He put in a few euros in that. Had we been "held up" he would've given the thieves this wallet instead of his real one. Luckily we never had to test this!

He has been to Rome a few times and was told that putting a wallet in one's pants' pocket is fine, as long as a hand remains in that pocket with it.

Just wear a money belt under your clothes and you will be Fine! Slash proof bags can be stolen. We have spent a lot of time in Rome and have been fine. but like Keith says be aware. My husband had his throw Away wallet pickpocketed in an elevator in Taormina heading back to the tour bus. He grabbed the guy and got it back but it had already been passed off to an accomplice.

I too think Barcelona is the worst, cruise mates lost a very valuable necklace when a “bird pooped “on them. We saw countless stolen bags just dumped and 11 people lost their passports from our cruise.

Just be aware.

One suggestion I have is to make sure that you split up your valuables. I've read of too any cases where one person was carrying the credit cards, money, etc. and lost everything the couple had. When DH and I were in Europe, I had one credit card and my ID (along with some cash) in my crossbody purse, double zippered. DH wears compression socks so he had a small wallet that he could tuck into his sock. Older son carried a backpack - but just for our water and sunscreen. Twice when we were in FLorence he caught someone trying to get into the backpack.

My sister was got at while getting onto the train in Rapallo on the way to Genoa for the beginning of our cruise. She had one of the super dooper travel bags, slashproof etc etc but they still somehow managed to get into it while she was lifting her suitcase onto the train. The bag was across her body and the zip also had a padlock. They are so very skilled, I felt the girl try for my bag and yelled at my sister to watch hers but too late they had already scored and were off the train heading for their next victim.

As we live in London we constantly travel to other European cities and never have a problem. Reason being, we don't carry valuables, but above all, we are aware of our surroundings.

We would never carry a backpack type bag as they are thief magnets and we certainly don't carry mobile phones in our hands or stop in the middle of the street o read maps.

Basically, it's a matter of common sense as in any large city in the world.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I’m from NYC (life long resident only recently 25 miles away!) and the only time I’ve bern robbed & lost everything was in my own city, it was kind of my fault, I ought to have done better. For what it’s worth, no one around me saw anything remotely untoward, everything was super chill. That was 1993.

I’ve since traveled, mostly solo, all over the world and thankfully without incident. I think having lived here has helped prepare me for *almost* anywhere but I know there aren’t any guarantees & I still want to make the most of each experience.

The ability to enjoy, explore or even problem solve (calculate currency, read a sign, navigate, communicate) also requires energy and focus so I don’t want or need to be worrying constantly. I create a plan pre-trip, it usually doesn’t vary much from place to place making it easier to adhere to and thus most effective/safe. If anything, it gets pared down simpler is all. Repetition and habits that are effective create confidence and nothing looks more imposing to a would be offender than the “don’t even think about it” look of confidence on someone’s face. You got this.

I also get that for folks that live in smaller towns, it IS an adjustment but it’s very doable, but you know this, you’re travelers. It’s as hard to me to adjust myself proper to slower paces but I love that challenge just as much, as do people trying to see me do it! (Still don’t really let go of my purse though!) The safety preparations in the guides are just that; GUIDES, not combat tactics. If that many people were getting robbed, tourism would end. Safety is just one part of planning to ensure it’s an unforgettable- for the right reasons- trip.

Final thing not mentioned here but it’s also often debated, re: passports, because folks often spend a few days or more in Rome. I always have my passport with me, everywhere that I’m abroad. Copies too stashed somewhere but the original is on me at all times. Won’t get into it here as I’ve posted it before as to why. When the ship is just calling, I understand but many days? It’s with me.

I think too the testament to how well everyone’s visits go are the number of inquiries we get about safety versus the reports we have about incidents which are, hmmm, I can’t think of any on here in recent times. Or any of the Ports boards I monitor in Europe, Asia, Aussie/NZ or Pacific Islands, Canada/NE.

We saw groups of young men (good looking, wearing jeans and black t-shirts - with nothing notable, making them hard to describe later!) work through the crowd exiting St. Peters. They fanned out and unzipped dozens of backpacks... dozens. We were absolutely astounded.

Nearby, an oddly dressed man with an umbrella was wandering around looking in shopping bags as people strolled by. Sometimes he would open his umbrella and circle them... we thought it was a clear 'mark' for others to pursue.

Another trick was on an escalator... someone at the top/bottom will stumble, causing traffic to clog up behind them. On the moving stairs, commotion while people tried to keep their footing. During the bumping and shuffling, a pocket got picked.

A friend was seated on the train with her purse firmly in her lap. A woman kept asking her to reach up and pull the stop-cord. After several requests, she did... in the moment she stood and sat back down, her purse had been opened and pilfered... and the woman and her companion had exited the train.

We have seen these personally, or talked to the victim ourselves, and heard more stories about other tactics.

IF YOU GET PICKED... look nearby on the ground, in trashcans, behind bushes for your wallet. We were told by a guide that they only want your cash. If they're caught with ID, credit cards, etc. the punishment is much higher, so they'll strip out the cash and toss the wallet within moments.

We wear a modification of the waist-pack... it hangs vertically from your belt inside your pants. No scratchy elastic or sweaty bag... it feels like you're carrying it in your front pocket. We can still get to it if needed, but its invisible -- unlike the neck-bags, the waist-packs, etc. When I don't have a belt on, I pin the hanger-loop to the inside of my waistband with a giant safety pin.

If you're carrying a backpack or bag, put your wallet down at the bottom, at the corner. You'll know to reach all the way down past all the other contents, but a pickpocket won't have the leverage... he's looking for stuff in the easy-to-access smaller compartments or tucked in on top.

, if it is so bad, why isn't local law enforcement cracking down and ending this once and for all.

I first visited Rome when I was 12 or 13, many moons ago, and returned with DW on our honeymoon 15 years later.

The pick-pocket thing was a big deal and cautions and precautions were reiterated buy our guides.

And all that was before terrorism raised its ugly head and the police had bigger fish to fry.

So why has it been going on for at least half a century?? My personal view is that it’s just accepted, it has never hurt the tourism industry there - it’s almost like a cost of doing business. If the pickpockets are targeting tourist, they’re not targeting locals.

I don’t expect it to change, but DW and I would love to go back.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We saw groups of young men (good looking, wearing jeans and black t-shirts - with nothing notable, making them hard to describe later!) work through the crowd exiting St. Peters. They fanned out and unzipped dozens of backpacks... dozens. We were absolutely astounded.

Nearby, an oddly dressed man with an umbrella was wandering around looking in shopping bags as people strolled by. Sometimes he would open his umbrella and circle them... we thought it was a clear 'mark' for others to pursue.

Another trick was on an escalator... someone at the top/bottom will stumble, causing traffic to clog up behind them. On the moving stairs, commotion while people tried to keep their footing. During the bumping and shuffling, a pocket got picked.

A friend was seated on the train with her purse firmly in her lap. A woman kept asking her to reach up and pull the stop-cord. After several requests, she did... in the moment she stood and sat back down, her purse had been opened and pilfered... and the woman and her companion had exited the train.

We have seen these personally, or talked to the victim ourselves, and heard more stories about other tactics.

IF YOU GET PICKED... look nearby on the ground, in trashcans, behind bushes for your wallet. We were told by a guide that they only want your cash. If they're caught with ID, credit cards, etc. the punishment is much higher, so they'll strip out the cash and toss the wallet within moments.

We wear a modification of the waist-pack... it hangs vertically from your belt inside your pants. No scratchy elastic or sweaty bag... it feels like you're carrying it in your front pocket. We can still get to it if needed, but its invisible -- unlike the neck-bags, the waist-packs, etc. When I don't have a belt on, I pin the hanger-loop to the inside of my waistband with a giant safety pin.

If you're carrying a backpack or bag, put your wallet down at the bottom, at the corner. You'll know to reach all the way down past all the other contents, but a pickpocket won't have the leverage... he's looking for stuff in the easy-to-access smaller compartments or tucked in on top.

Nice post except for "wallet at the bottom of backpack/bag. Razor blades will quickly "liberate" it.

My sister was got at while getting onto the train in Rapallo on the way to Genoa for the beginning of our cruise. She had one of the super dooper travel bags, slashproof etc etc but they still somehow managed to get into it while she was lifting her suitcase onto the train. The bag was across her body and the zip also had a padlock. They are so very skilled, I felt the girl try for my bag and yelled at my sister to watch hers but too late they had already scored and were off the train heading for their next victim.

I know the thieves are very skilled but how did they get into the bag with a padlocked zipper? Were they able to break the lock somehow or did they unzip another pocket that wasn't locked?

In addition to all the zipper locks, my travel cross-body bag has slash resistant wire mesh beneath the outer fabric. Also has a keykeeper leash inside to which I attach my travel wallet. I use a Bluetooth earpiece for walking directions so I can keep my phone inside the bag. It allows me to walk with my head up, pay attention to my surroundings, and make eye contact. I travel solo and as another poster here has said, walking with confidence/purpose and making eye contact are very good deterrents.

On my most recent cruise in November, tablemates were hit with "bird poop" in her hair. Hubby had put her phone in their travel fanny pack but had failed to lock that one zipper. It was noticed. BTW, they had been looking at a fold up map while on Las Ramblas just before the incident. That's sort of like painting a bullseye on your back. My traveling companion (used a cane) and I were leaving the train station in Rome a few years back. She was about 15 ft in front of me as I was hauling all our luggage (think Sherpa). Didn't look like we were together. Someone glided up behind her and began working on her travel purse. Took a second or two to register in my brain but then I started yelling loudly. Instantly the pickpocket and ALL the people leaning against the walls lining the corridor, evaporated. The poliziotto also showed up within seconds. Nothing was taken but he was so brazen, it was an eye opener. Years ago, before cell phones, I was swarmed on an escalator by a pack of children in Dublin. I yelled then, too, and swung at them (and connected) but they still got my sunglasses. Haven't seen anything like it since. I did recently watch several children at Trevi Fountain in Rome work the tourists who were distracted taking pix/selfies. I guess the best advice is Pay Attention.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Forums mobile app

how did they get into the bag with a padlocked zipper?

Check out youtube - a cc friend sent me the link. The padlock was still on but the zipper had been opened up. Her bag was a special super dooper travel one with slashproof straps etc but they still got to her. Normally she would have used a neck pouch under her clothing but was recovering from shingles in that area so too sore to use.

It happens anywhere and anyplace. Just be aware of your surroundings. Pick pockets hang out in places were crowds merge like getting on and off a trains, subway, bus etc.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We've been accosted by Gypsies in Florence on the Tornabuoni and in front of the Duomo, also at Termini Station in Rome. Lucky to avoid being pickpocketed. . Major assistance is to yell for Polizia Not that they do anything but it is a deterrent . I have no sympathy for their ploys. Trying to shove a baby in my hands. I let it drop. It wasn't real. Policeman was 50 feet away. All he did was shoo them away. Just be aware and don't let them crowd you in. I lived in NYC for 40 years so became aware of my surroundings at all times. That is the major deterrent.

• 5 months later...

Wanted to add another heads up as far as pickpockets in Italy. On our cruise last week, our very lovely professional Italian guide was pickpocketed her wallet on the bus while on her way to meet our group! Same thing happened to one of the tour guides in Florence! These were natives who know all about pickpockets who were robbed. Don’t think it won’t happen to you. We carry enough cash for the day. And leave the passports and extra cash in the safe. We sometimes carry a credit card but we have a photocopy of that so if it’s stolen we can easily contact the credit card with the info.

My goal is, even if we are robbed the loss and aggravation will be minimal.

Wanted to add another heads up as far as pickpockets in Italy. On our cruise last week, our very lovely professional Italian guide was pickpocketed her wallet on the bus while on her way to meet our group! Same thing happened to one of the tour guides in Florence! These were natives who know all about pickpockets who were robbed. Don’t think it won’t happen to you. We carry enough cash for the day. And leave the passports and extra cash in the safe. We sometimes carry a credit card but we have a photocopy of that so if it’s stolen we can easily contact the credit card with the info.

My goal is, even if we are robbed the loss and aggravation will be minimal.

Always good advise.

We had no issues in Rome, but of course were cautious travellers. We both purchased rather pricey travel bags (over the shoulder for both) that are slash resistant and also have stuff in them to prevent the use of credit card readers. If you can afford it, get one of these bags--they also have all kinds of zippered compartments and clasps for attaching wallets, etc.

We never took more than we needed out with us, leaving the rest safely in a safe in the hotel.

On our most recent trip, my husband brought along an old wallet that he didn't care about. He put in a few euros in that. Had we been "held up" he would've given the thieves this wallet instead of his real one. Luckily we never had to test this!

He has been to Rome a few times and was told that putting a wallet in one's pants' pocket is fine, as long as a hand remains in that pocket with it.

I bought mine on ebay for $25. Doesn't need to be pricey.

Wanted to add another heads up as far as pickpockets in Italy. On our cruise last week, our very lovely professional Italian guide was pickpocketed her wallet on the bus while on her way to meet our group! Same thing happened to one of the tour guides in Florence! These were natives who know all about pickpockets who were robbed.
A couple of years ago the guides in Rome threatened to boycott the Vatican museums if they didn't do something about the pickpockets inside the museum. The guides were frequently targeted because they were distracted while doing their job and their clients were looking at the art, not at them, so they had a perfect opportunity. (The same thing happened with guides at the Louvre in Paris.)