Self service Laundry on board Rotterdam

tgetz

I thought all of the older Holland ships had a self service laundry on board but I was told yesterday that the Rotterdam did not have any self service laundry machines. I have had really bad luck with the laundry and dry cleaning service provided by the ships. I know some really love the service, but I am also the one who also routinely has their luggage lost by the airlines,- so I have gotten in the habit of doing my own underwear and a lot of my tops and pants on a long journey. I actually don't mind ironing on a trip, my housekeeper always does it at home, so it is 't so bad. Anyway, is there truly no self service laundry on the Rotterdam or was that erroneous information. I know the Nieuw Amsterdam doesn't but the Rotterdam is old.

So if that is true, what do most of you do on longer trips. We are booked on a 42 day trip and I am having doubts. I do not like my clothes washed in hot water and that seems to be all they do on board.

I was on the Rotterdam in July and it had laundry room. I used it. The ship had been in dry dock just a few months before, and hasn't been since then, so doubt any change has been made. Of note is that in checking deck plans before my cruise, I did not see laundry rooms noted, so I had doubts, but the laundry room was there. Perhaps whoever is giving you that info is also just looking at deck plans.

Perhaps someone who has been on Rotterdam very recently can chime in.

I have had to use ship laundry service when on Vista ships and have been satisfied sending my night clothes, underwear, socks, jeans, mens chino pants, and mens dress shirts. All came back folded and pressed. Did not send my nice knit tops or any dresses as I was afraid of shrinkage. Hand washed my knit tops. On Rotterdam, I washed them in cold water in the machine, dried on low for 10 minutes, and then hung in room to dry just like I do at home. I do not remember seeing an iron or ironing board in the laundry room.

I was on the Rotterdam in July and it had laundry room. I used it. The ship had been in dry dock just a few months before, and hasn't been since then, so doubt any change has been made. Of note is that in checking deck plans before my cruise, I did not see laundry rooms noted, so I had doubts, but the laundry room was there. Perhaps whoever is giving you that info is also just looking at deck plans.

Perhaps someone who has been on Rotterdam very recently can chime in.

I have had to use ship laundry service when on Vista ships and have been satisfied sending my night clothes, underwear, socks, jeans, mens chino pants, and mens dress shirts. All came back folded and pressed. Did not send my nice knit tops or any dresses as I was afraid of shrinkage. Hand washed my knit tops. On Rotterdam, I washed them in cold water in the machine, dried on low for 10 minutes, and then hung in room to dry just like I do at home. I do not remember seeing an iron or ironing board in the laundry room.

pv girl - do you remember where the laundry room was? When I go to the HAL site I do not see any laundry room, but when I go to the deck plans on my favorite cruise look up site it across the hall on the main deck between rooms 2614 and 2616 behind the main stairs. Does this sound right?

I hope Rotterdam has a laundry room we are planning on doing a 30 day on her and after using the laundry room on Amsterdam we had decided to use the same on Rotterdam.

On Volendam and Masdaam, there were two laundries, one on deck two and one on deck 6. I used the one on deck 6 a lot and yesterday when I was booking, I made the statement about being near the stairs on deck 7 so the laundry was close. My agent said there is no laundry on the Rotterdam. Maybe she meant on deck 6.?I can for sure call Holland and ask, but we know if I call three times , I will get three answers. So if anyone else has any insight, greatly appreciated.

pv girl - do you remember where the laundry room was? When I go to the HAL site I do not see any laundry room, but when I go to the deck plans on my favorite cruise look up site it across the hall on the main deck between rooms 2614 and 2616 behind the main stairs. Does this sound right?

I hope Rotterdam has a laundry room we are planning on doing a 30 day on her and after using the laundry room on Amsterdam we had decided to use the same on Rotterdam.

It was on deck 6 starboard - between central and rear elevators. I remember this as it was almost right across from my room, very easy access. That is why I did the self-service this time. I usually do the by-the-bag option as I don't like to spend time doing laundry. And if you look on current HAL website, it is not marked.

Just off the Rotterdam on December 19 - can vouch for self service laundry as we did do laundry a few times...I believe hubby used the machines on Main deck, near midship .....

I do know there were other floors with machines also.

Turned 4 star on that cruise, so will not be having to look for laundry machines in the future.

Carol

It was on deck 6 starboard - between central and rear elevators. I remember this as it was almost right across from my room, very easy access. That is why I did the self-service this time. I usually do the by-the-bag option as I don't like to spend time doing laundry. And if you look on current HAL website, it is not marked.

I looked at another website that I like to check out for cruise ships and you are right Deck 6 (veranda) the inside space between A154 and A 149.

I wonder why hal doesn't have this on their website in their ship's deck plans?

Well for what it is worth, my travel agent who is very knowledgeable is the one that told me it was not on the Rotterdam, but today she asked someone in their office who used to work on the Rotterdam and they said yes it is there. My agent also called ships services and they said yes there was laundry machines. For some reason, our agents office had been told the Rotterdam had lost their laundry machines. I wonder if someone just got the Rotterdam confused with the Konsingdam???

My cruise atlas 2014-2015 shows Rotterdam has 2 launderettes, one on Main Deck, port side opposite staterooms 2614 & 2616.

The second launderette is shown on Verandah Deck opposite stateroom 6154. ( Same location as on the Volendam).

My cruise atlas for 2016-2017, shows those rooms as white space, not labelled launderette. Also launderettes not labelled on the deck plans for Volendam and Zaandam, but are labelled for Maasdam, Veendam and Prinsendam.

There is a self-service laundry on Deck 3 [Lower Prom] next to cabin 3340. if you look at the deck plan, you will see that this "white space" has entrances at both ends. The other "white space" is a work area for cabin stewards [also accessible from both ends].

Even the deck plans on line on Holland are not all correct, I don't think. I know I used the one on deck 6 of the Volendam, two years ago, and I know we used the one on deck 6 on the Maasdam several years ago on Voyage of the Vikings and they don't all show. It is very inconsistent from the brochures to the website. But for sure the newer vessels do not have them starting with whatever class the Westerdam is in.

But some of the websites - not Holland- so show them ....

That should be a project for Holland to get the info straight. Some how I don't think that will be a high priority for them....

But I am just glad it appears they are on the Rotterdam, because we wanted to go on a trip before we board for the 42 days and I will defiantly need a laundry. Thanks everyone for you information.

For what it's worth... I often find that the laundry machines on the upper deck(s) are more available than the laundry machines on the lower deck(s). My hypothesis is that there are more suites-passengers in closer proximity to the upper deck laundries and more passengers who have complementary laundry service, thus less demand for the self-service machines.

HAL has always, in my experience, supplied laundry detergent (compatible with their environmental requirements) but I bring my own dryer sheets. m--

my experience, too. But I have met some interesting people there. On a cruise from Vancouver to Sydney a few years ago, I met a lady from Australia that was really furious the machines only took quarters not Australian money. After all we were headed to Australia:-) I guess if we were headed to Italy, they should switch out the coin collector to Euros... and then change again if it was headed to Asia.. oh well, I did get a laugh...

• 2 years later...
We are currently aboard Rotterdam and there are NO guest laundry facilities. The ship laundry bags are tiny and VERY expensive! Disappointed in HAL

You know this is an old post, right? The self-service laundries were taken out on the most recent dry dock. However, I have never seen anyone complain here that the laundry bags are small and that the laundry service is expensive. The laundry is one of the things that people consistently rave about with HAL. Sorry for your disappointment.

We are currently aboard Rotterdam and there are NO guest laundry facilities. The ship laundry bags are tiny and VERY expensive! Disappointed in HAL

I agree that the bags look small, but you'd be surprised how much can be stuffed in those little bags. Although we now get free laundry, we used the laundry service many times before reaching free laundry status and have always been pleased with how our clothes were laundered.

Bob