Block Parties: Still Happening?

notjaded

Markham

It was Captain Dag.

We were very taken aback when he told us but he was so pleased with the concept we didn't have the heart to tell him how much we disliked them!

Just embarked on the Odyssey and to date all is well and service as normal.

Went to 2 block parties. One was successful as we met neighbors with whom we had lots of good times as the cruise rolled out. That said, there are probably better venues and circumstances for passengers to meet each other and to meet the senior staff other than in the corridors. But not something to get overly exercised about.

I was pretty sure it was Dag who introduced them - they were always done on Regent ships when he was a Captain there for many years. Maybe they will gradually disappear unless he comes back from HAL!

I think the people who object mainly feel that they are just somehow not suited to the Seabourn atmosphere and ethos - the passengers are mostly sociable folk but who do not like feeling 'herded'. And I always feel sorry for the poor staff who have to run around and take part.

No worries.....typical Australian reply :D.

My friend is my 11 year old dog and yes thankfully he is on the mend. Most Seabourn people are lots of fun so don't let mine or anyone else from CC spoil your anticipation and your fun on your cruise.

Julie

As far as I know he is still with Seabourn. He returned to the Quest before for last year/early this year’s Antarctic season. He was on of our two Captains on our Holiday Antartica voyage and took great pleasure in doing the polar bear plunge into the pool on New Year’s Day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As a new cruiser on Seabourn and having read unfavorable comments about the dreaded block party ............I didn’t want to join in. My less outgoing DH thought we should take part. We met our neighbors from several different countries and made friends with the neighbors next door.

Thumbs up from me this time.

As a new cruiser on Seabourn and having read unfavorable comments about the dreaded block party ............I didn’t want to join in. My less outgoing DH thought we should take part. We met our neighbors from several different countries and made friends with the neighbors next door.

Thumbs up from me this time.

Agreed. On our first SB cruise, we went and met our 'next door neighbours' which I doubt we would have done otherwise. Nice couple who were on their 11th SB cruise, it was good to pick their brains on what we didn't know as we were finding our feet on a SB cruise.

On our second cruise there wasn't one which was a shame, and our third cruise in January I am hoping there will be one. It's so short anyway and if I didn't fancy it I would just float on by, I wouldn't feel awkward.

We have been on a cruise when we have gone and also when we have not. we do not feel obligated either way and people who feel they cannot leave their cabin are totally wrong , There is nothing wrong in coming out of your cabin saying good evening and going to where ever you want .

• 7 months later...

We were just on an Ovation back-to-back cruise (Lisbon-Amsterdam-Copenhagen). On the first leg, there was not a Block Party. On the second leg, there was one, several days into the cruise. It was fun to chat with our neighbors and makes it nice to be able to smile and say hello to folks you know (at least a little bit). We like them and have made "cruise friends" from Block Parties (Regent does them pretty regularly as well, so that is where we became familiar with them). We always attend, but clearly, people have options if they don't like them. Stay in, leave early for a lounge, or leave from your suite during the party, saying hello as you head toward the stairs/elevator.

We were on the cruise with NJbelle (beginning in Amsterdam) and I was very reluctant to join in for the block party festivities. I was busy getting dressed for dinner and my husband went out for the block party making it very clear that he expected me to join forthwith. I hurriedly dressed and went out into the hall and wouldn't you know--we met a couple that we had a lot of fun with on the rest of the cruise. In fact, we four went to the Grand Hotel in Stockholm for a spectacular smorgasbord. So---I really cannot criticize the block party in the future. I assume that Seabourn knows what they are doing here. It seems a bit awkward, but we also met the youngest cruisers on the ship at the party---a couple in their 30s. That was fun as well.

I am getting more relaxed about these howdy doody git to know yer neyber parties, awkward as they are for officers and crew to trundle down narrow corridors with booze and snacks to welcome those doing the crowding.

Why the sea change? I used the occasion recently to good effect. I met the immediate neybers and reminded them to close their cabin doors softly. It worked from then on.

Happy and healthy sailing!

I enjoy the block parties, having participated on several Regent ships and Was happy to see them when we started sailing on Seabourn. Then, it disappeared along with the galley lunch from our last voyage on the Odyssey. Hoping to have both back on our upcoming Ovation cruise [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums