Mens jackets - seabourn odyssey

barry3040

Pavovsky,

That’s an exquisite find and will look great on you, no doubt, in the MDR following cocktails at the Club and Obs Bar.

While I cannot make out the size and the retail price on the tag, I hope it fits your shape and is not too tight. The jacket won’t expand during your cruise as you do. And I trust you removed the price tag and security device so no one will be moved to gossip about them behind your back, while expressing appreciation for your good taste.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Size 36, 449 Euro — a bargain!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here is another example of different interpretations of clothing terms. An American friend arrived at our London Fancy Dress party in a very elegant tux (or DJ as we would say.) He was taken aback to see an odd assortment of guests, Henry Vlll, a clown, and Tarzan amongst others. I think he said that he would call that a Costme party?

He just needed to not bat an eye and say he was dressed as a luxury cruiser.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well heck at that price I think if we set up a Go Find Me page for my friend Markham here we could have his next fancy dress (either interpretation as noted above) paid for in no time. And yes, he likely would actually wear it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Haha 1

Well heck at that price I think if we set up a Go Find Me page for my friend Markham here we could have his next fancy dress (either interpretation as noted above) paid for in no time. And yes, he likely would actually wear it.

Possibly with a Penguin hat :')

EXACTLY, and a point worthy of support. Which is dress according to the cruise line's standards, and if Pavovsky's thing is your thing too, then go for it. That is some jacket! He obviously knows his mind and cuts a fine figure there and elsewhere, and will be the envy of his fellow passengers. You can almost hear the braying and squawking already.

More about braying and squawking: Who is going to argue with hats and other accessories complementing the dress code recommendations when you travel to the host of Seabourn's destinations? Buying local and consuming en route to/from/during these destinations is half the fun. So it's penguin hats in Antarctica and soon puffin hats in the outer Hebrides and Iceland. The lil dickins... don't those auks charm you somethin' silly too?

We look forward to our cruise next week from Dover to Reykjavik on Quest. Hats and all. Will miss you, Chairsin and 2SailingNomads at the Sky Bar!

Markham,

Quite agree that it is great fun to pick up clothing and accessories from ports of call that have a sense of place. Though I will say I think you go the extra mile and it is great fun watching you roam the decks in your “finds.”

Will miss you as well - didn’t work out for us to do both legs of the Route of the Vikings. Please keep miss C out of trouble until we takeover as her minders in Reykjavik.

... So it's penguin hats in Antarctica and soon puffin hats in the outer Hebrides and Iceland. The lil dickins... don't those auks charm you somethin' silly too?

We look forward to our cruise next week from Dover to Reykjavik on Quest. Hats and all. Will miss you, Chairsin and 2SailingNomads at the Sky Bar!

Enjoy the cruise Markham. We did the Route when it was one segment from Dover to Montreal a few years back and loved it, especially the day sailing thru Prince Christian Sund - which Chairsin will get to enjoy.

Respectfully, our questions aren't what the written instructions say - we've seen those many times in many places - but rather what actually occurs onboard. Do some people wear smart collared shirts that aren't "traditional" dress shirts? Do some people wear quality polos and slacks? My question upthread was 'what did SLSD actually see onboard?'

Catlover 54, Are you going on the February 23, 2019 New Zealand Cruise ?

Just a little addition. I normally avoid the formal nights but on the last S.America cruise actually packed a jacket. I believe the colour could be described as 'oat'. For me it's some sort of creamy colour. Anyway, I was probably the only one not in a dark jacket when I rolled up on formal night. I did add a blue dress shirt and a tie (and slacks). No comments or rolling eyes that I noticed. Before you ask, I didn't do this as some sort of test, to offend anyone or because the code simply says "jacket". I actually felt a bit more formally dressed than some of the guys in dark jackets and no tie, but then I always liked a tie when I wore a dress shirt to the office.

EDITQUOTEmultiquote_off.gif

• 1 month later...
Catlover 54, Are you going on the February 23, 2019 New Zealand Cruise ?

We are booked on this one and I am struggling as to what clothes to take. We have the warmth of Norfolk Island and the chill of Stewart Island. I don't really want to take a dinner suit and another jacket as it will leave little room in my case for 2 dozen shirts/polos. I think I may be using the laundrette!

Ped

:):)

*blinks*

Some people packed a full tux. If you’re struggling a sports or travel jacket will do for even formal night. Iron free shirts are the way to go. And layering with a merino thermal base layer(s)

Wear an overcoat if you really need to pack such a bulky item. Two dozen shirts? Our rule is 3 days worth of clothes.

A Seabourn handbag and samsonite carry-on + small backpack has lasted 3 weeks.

You will not need the dinner suit. However it is entirely up to you as others will and others will not pack one.

• 5 months later...

I think part of the problem is that terms like formal, semi-formal and elegant casual has never been interpreted correctly by many folks, especially in the US.  I have frequented many 3 star Michelin restaurants in France over the years and some of the most elegantly dressed people were in very, very chic casual clothes.  Ah, the French seem to have the secret for that.  And in England a tux is only worn by a waiter. The guests at dinner wear dinner jackets or evening clothes.

And having lived in NYC for many years I watched the dress code vanish slowly. I think the last restaurant I remember that gave men a "loaner" jacket if they were not wearing one, regardless of how ill-fitting, was La Cote Basque but they finally gave in.  And I am often amused when men wear their jacket into the restaurant and then sling it over the back of the chair once they sit down and need to get more comfortable.    

The fact of the matter is that today many influential people set their own rules and initiate trends, especially in fields that have recognizable celebrities such as entertainment and clothes design. 

So there is no way to interpret dress codes to satisfy everyone.  Such codes no longer exist in most places and I think that using photographs to illustrate dress codes on a ship is a reasonable suggestion to help clarify the issue.

A couple of observations on dress code. In my opinion the world has gotten way to casual. I find people that dress well have a tendency to behave accordingly. Rather than see what you can get away with, let's start a trend of dressing up rather than dressing down. I always wear a jacket/sports coat to the main dining room and most of the time a tie. My wife always wears a nice dress. One day hopefully the dress code trend will turn. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Viking1966 said:

I find people that dress well have a tendency to behave accordingly. 

Therein lies the rub. What was "dress well" yesterday may be tomorrow's Halloween costume. 

I do wear a jacket for formal evenings, if I attend, since that is the code. When it ceases to be the code (and I can see that happening) then I will wear one only if I want to.

• 1 month later...

This discussion has been going on for over a year and lots of comments. I regret I am getting in very late in the game. For those of you still following this thread, I am in total accord with the recent postings of  both Amusea and Viking1966.  Standards have slipped dramatically. No one says a jacket and God forbid a tie in the MDR are required, but it sure looks nice to look around and see so many others of your culture and values doing the same. Or a nice collared shirt and sweater combination if one must.

Further, wearing a sports coat is not uncomfortable, and it creates nice look for everyone else of similar mind, experience and place.  The " country club casual" look has a trend to deteriorate, and certain people take advantage. We have all seen it. I just wish the MRD management would have the courage to enforce the standards that Seabourn presently has in place and not let some of the "far too casual" or shall be say "outlandish" outfits that I have seen men wear on my last few cruises get past the front door at dinner time. Yes beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but standards should be enforced until they are officially changed.

Brittany12 - While I have been reluctant to enter this fray regarding the SB dress code, your somewhat offensive post has encouraged me to do so.   Please understand that my partner & I assiduously adhere to the SB dress code, including dining at The Colonnade when we do not wish to wear blazers to the MDR. 

However, I will suggest that using such inflammatory terms as "others of your culture and values" or "everyone else of similar mind, experience and place" when discussing something as manifestly trivial as a cruise ship dress code can be regarded as elitist in the extreme and quite understandably offensive to many people.   Frankly, your culture and values are not the relevant issues in this matter; only the dress code standards of SB are (and I agree that they should be enforced until changed).

Cheers,      Fred 

• Like 1