Suggestion for Whale Watching out of Icy Strait?

new_cruiser

We were on a back to back cruise on the Millennium in May and June.Both days in Icy Strait we had humpbacks bubble net feeding right next to the ship.The whales are definitely still there.The second day there were 8 of them.

Budget Queen,

Hi. I read an old Thread on ISP and you mentioned the ship sailing past Point Adolphus. I know it’s about 17 miles past ISP. How much time does it take once the ship leaves ISP to be in the vicinity of Point Adolphus? I think I want to be on deck for that.

Thanks!

VIEWPOINT?

I have yet another question ;p I know the view from the Zipline is incredible, but only accessible to paying passengers for the zipline and/or their bus to prevent traffic congestion. Is there another high viewpoint in ISP or Hoonah from where we can get a great view from above of the bay?

Thanks in advance for any responses :D

I would be interested in feedback from anyone going whale watching in ISP this year. We were at Point Adolphus a few days ago and didn’t see any whales. Glacier Bay ranger said only a couple of whales there, but in Juneau they were feeding right where the ship was docked....

We went whale watching in Icy Strait two times this May (May 14 & May 22nd). The bubble feeding was insane -- it was going on in multiple locations on both trips. We have taken multiple trips to Icy Strait over the years and this was the first time we saw anything like this kind of activity -- we were truly blessed. One passenger told us she saw bubble feeding right outside her balcony.

We went whale watching in Icy Strait two times this May (May 14 & May 22nd). The bubble feeding was insane -- it was going on in multiple locations on both trips. We have taken multiple trips to Icy Strait over the years and this was the first time we saw anything like this kind of activity -- we were truly blessed. One passenger told us she saw bubble feeding right outside her balcony.

We were in Icy Straight May 29th on the Radiance and saw bubble feeding from our aft balcony about an our after we docked. There were also porpoises that were jumping behind the ship while we were at dock.

We went on an excursion with Glacier Wind Charters and saw two pods of whales feeding. Hearing them on the hydrophone and listening to the chatter changes and then them come up was just amazing.

We were in Icy Straight May 29th on the Radiance and saw bubble feeding from our aft balcony about an our after we docked. There were also porpoises that were jumping behind the ship while we were at dock.

We went on an excursion with Glacier Wind Charters and saw two pods of whales feeding. Hearing them on the hydrophone and listening to the chatter changes and then them come up was just amazing.

Glacier Wind is our preferred independent whale watching vendor; 7 trips with them to date --- love them.

• 2 weeks later...
I’ve seen some YouTube videos showing some firepit areas along a path in ISP. Does that area look out at the bay?

Thanks!

The fire pit is located near the shore line so you would be able to see the water.

• 1 month later...

I wanted to come back with answers to some of my previous questions here, for those planning a trip:

-I have since read of those taking ATV excursions or jeep tours having access to roads with viewpoints. I believe there is only 1 taxi in the area, so it wasn’t feasible to take one. Icy Strait Lodge has vehicle rentals for those wanting to drive in the area.

-We did see whales leaving ISP as we neared Point Adolphus. Barely missed seeing a full breach, was concentrated looking at a different area with some activity, and then we heard noise and saw the giant splash. It pointed us in the right direction and from then on, knew where to look for more activity. YMMV.

-The whale sightings were about 45 minutes to an hour after leaving the dock, as I recall (the captain gave us a general time, too) on the left side of the ship. Some were fairly close, the breach was closer to the shore at a distance.

-I didn’t get outside for the Sail In—we arrived at 7am—but the Sail Away was beautiful for hours! I did not want to go inside.

-We also saw the resident humpback diving in ISP. We saw it on the path leading to the Cannery, not far from the Duck Point Smokehouse. From the bridge leading back to the ship, we saw the eagle named Old Faithful perched in the tree.

LOVED this port! :)

Edited by syesmar
spacing