Dubrovnik Questions (new thread)

You were lucky, imagine what the line is when we have 3 or more massive cruisers arriving at the same time. The wait can be up to 2 hours during August.

Oh my goodness! I can’t imagine. It would take the pleasure away. With those kinds of crowds I can understand why the government is trying to control it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

Dubrovniktravelady....we are docked Sept 30, 9-6. Would you suggest taking a ferry to Cavtat first then walking the old walled city? Or the other way around...is it doable to do both? Open to suggestions. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you are docked in our Gruz harbor, the main bus terminal is a few meters from the exit. Take the Libertas #10 (25 Kuna per person) to Cavtat. Enjoy the waterfront, have a coffee or lunch or sample some of our Dalmatian wine. You can then take the small ferry boat back to Dubrovnik, a very pleasant 40 minute ride. The drop of point for the ferry is the old harbor, just a few from the old part of town. Walk around, buy the tickets and enjoy the views from the wall. Do pace your time, you will need about 2 hours to walk the entire wall, taking a few photos and generally enjoy the views. Have a fun day, but remember to depart Cavtat no later than noon.

If you are docked in our Gruz harbor, the main bus terminal is a few meters from the exit. Take the Libertas #10 (25 Kuna per person) to Cavtat. Enjoy the waterfront, have a coffee or lunch or sample some of our Dalmatian wine. You can then take the small ferry boat back to Dubrovnik, a very pleasant 40 minute ride. The drop of point for the ferry is the old harbor, just a few from the old part of town. Walk around, buy the tickets and enjoy the views from the wall. Do pace your time, you will need about 2 hours to walk the entire wall, taking a few photos and generally enjoy the views. Have a fun day, but remember to depart Cavtat no later than noon.

Thank you for the information. It's very helpful.

I just want to thank you all for your generousity, taking your time to share information. Your advice, suggestions, your experience, are much much appreciated.

We will be in Croatia this November. We will definitely visit Cavtat!

Thank you!

We dock in Dubrovnik in August and are in port just from 7am to 1pm. Is it 'do-able' to take a taxi to the top of the cable car, have a look around, take the cable car down to the old city and walk to the Stradun down to the Pile Gate, then bus/shuttle back to our ship? I wanted to do the Eco TukTuk but our cruise ship has it contracted for our port day! Thanks in advance. Soo looking forward to our stop in Dubrovnik!

• 3 weeks later...
Yes there are ATM machines at the cruise port. Taxi fare could be between 200 to 300 Kuna to go to the top of Srd. There are all kinds of tours for the old town, many do include the wall. I, however, am forbidden by cruise critic to recommend any particular tour or guide since I am a local resident. You can find many recommendations by doing more research for Dubrovnik.

Will the taxi take a credit card and can you pay for the cable car with a credit card, or should we get Kuna at an ATM? I apologize as I am sure you have answered this question many times before.

We dock in Dubrovnik in August and are in port just from 7am to 1pm. Is it 'do-able' to take a taxi to the top of the cable car, have a look around, take the cable car down to the old city and walk to the Stradun down to the Pile Gate, then bus/shuttle back to our ship? I wanted to do the Eco TukTuk but our cruise ship has it contracted for our port day! Thanks in advance. Soo looking forward to our stop in Dubrovnik!

The cable car doesn’t start until 9:00am, so you might want to think about doing it the other way round. However, if you were at the cable car top station at 9:00 I think you could still do it. It’s about 15 minutes or so downhill walk from the bottom cable car station to the old town.

• 3 weeks later...
So we arrive at 1pm in September and are not doing any excursions. Does this make sense:

1. taxi to Cable car

2. Walk the old town

3. Walk the walls later in the afternoon/evening

Thank you

Depends what time you arrive and what time you depart.if you get there early I’d walk the walls first, as it can get very hot up there. Alternatively if the ship stays latish do the walls later on. They close at 6:30pm in September, so start at 4:30 or so. Here’s a link to information about the walls https://www.wallsofdubrovnik.com/info-ticket-prices-working-hours/

Thanks. Since we arrive at 1pm I think we will save the walls for later in the day so we don't melt. Much appreciated.

I'm inclined to agree.

Not because it will necessarily be cooler in the late afternoon (it often isn't), but because it's better to melt late in the day after you've done everything else ;)

JB :)

Hi Dubrovniktravelady. Can you let me know if I can walk from the airport shuttle bus stop to the Hilton Imperial Hotel? I will have one large piece of luggage, one carry on, and my pocketbook. I will be traveling in November, and picking up the Rhapsody on December 2nd. But I wanted to spend a few days in Dubrovnik since I've never been there before, I'm skipping the first day of my cruise in Venice. Thanks for any info.

Yes you can easily walk to the Imperial, it is located right there near the bus stop. Make the best of your time here, most sites have limited hours. Last day of October is the beginning of our winter hibernation. Many outdoor venues may not be open, unless they have inside space. Enjoy your limited time here.

Thanks! I'll check the exchange rate before we leave

Do we exchange there or would we do it on the ship or before we leave the states? I will assume Euros will do for the rest of our stops (Greek islands and Kotor?)

We will arrive for our first visit in just a few weeks on the NCL Star. We dock at 7-1pm. Our plan is to take a taxi to wall and do the sea side and then exit at Ploce and explore. Would we have time to take the bus to Cavtat and then the ferry to Dubrovnik? We love finding "hidden treasures" and meeting locals. We do not want to have to rush. What are your suggestions?

Also, It seems I can just use my debit card at an ATM for the local money correct?

Thanks and we are excited!

Yes you can easily walk to the Imperial, it is located right there near the bus stop. Make the best of your time here, most sites have limited hours. Last day of October is the beginning of our winter hibernation. Many outdoor venues may not be open, unless they have inside space. Enjoy your limited time here.

Thank so much for this info. One more question. Are the streets smooth or more like cobblestones.

We will arrive for our first visit in just a few weeks on the NCL Star. We dock at 7-1pm. Our plan is to take a taxi to wall and do the sea side and then exit at Ploce and explore. Would we have time to take the bus to Cavtat and then the ferry to Dubrovnik? We love finding "hidden treasures" and meeting locals. We do not want to have to rush. What are your suggestions?

Also, It seems I can just use my debit card at an ATM for the local money correct?

Thanks and we are excited!

The ferry between Dubrovnik & Cavtat takes at least 45 minutes. All though it’s advertised as ‘direct’ our boat last week stopped at least twice each way at a couple of little ports to pick up/drop off passengers

The main promenade, which we call the Stradun, is a slick as newborn bottom. Limestone polished smooth by many years of usage. I recommend your shoes have radial tire soles. Enjoy.

Wow, so helpful. And funny too. Thanks again.

There are 3 separate companies which service Dubrovnik and Cavtat. Only one has a non stop route, but occasionally someone buys a ticket and asks to dropped off at Mlini or Srebrano. A short 40 minute trip can turn into more than one hour. Just ask first at the ticket stand at the old harbor in Dubrovnik. However again I must say not a good idea with your early cruise ship departure time.