New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Our doctor who has been on over 60cruises says the average weight gain is this: for a 10 day cruise, you’ll gain 5 pounds, but you’ll lose half of that within a couple days at home. So that leaves 2.5 pounds that you’ll need to lose after your cruise.

For a 7 day cruise, you’ll gain 3.5pounds, but you’ll lose 1.75pounds quickly. That leaves 1.75 pounds you’ll need to lose.

I agree that taking the stairs and walking as much as possible is key!

It takes 3,200 calories to gain or lose a pound.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are sailing on the Veendam on Sept 15th. Can anyone tell me about this ship? We have sailed on the Volendam, the Rotterdam twice and the Zaandam. What is the difference in this ship. Also, what do you recommend on the sailing from Boston to Montreal. What ports did you like best?

We are sailing on the Veendam on Sept 15th. Can anyone tell me about this ship? We have sailed on the Volendam, the Rotterdam twice and the Zaandam. What is the difference in this ship. Also, what do you recommend on the sailing from Boston to Montreal. What ports did you like best?

It will be similar to the ships you have sailed on already.

Isn't HAL more expensive than Costa, MSC, Carnival, Norwegian and Royal?

How do they justify the higher price? What extra value do they provide?

We are sailing on the Veendam on Sept 15th. Can anyone tell me about this ship? We have sailed on the Volendam, the Rotterdam twice and the Zaandam. What is the difference in this ship.

Being an S-class ship, it is smaller than the R-class ships you have sailed. There is no mid-ship staircase/elevator bank, and the Pinnacle Grill is outside the upper level of the dining room, starboard side. It has a view to the outdoors!

The biggest difference is that, like the Rotterdam, the aft pool was removed to make room for more cabins. The aft Lido Deck has a high platform with some hot tubs blocking most of the view.

Other than these differences, you will know your way around as soon as you board. The cabins, service, food, entertainment, and atmosphere will all be familiar.

Thanks, all, for the answers to questions I asked earlier. I have a few more random questions....

1/ What are the best places for wildlife/glacier viewing? It seems that the Deck 10 and Deck 11 Observation Decks would be good, as well as the Crow's Nest, but what other places are there? Is the Promenade a good place to view from, or is it more for walking?

2/ What is security like on the ship? I read that there are plainclothes security officers, but are there also uniformed police/security officers? Are there security cameras everywhere? I wonder what crime stats are like on cruises.

3/ What happens to leftover food? Does it get reused in some way, or thrown out? Or both? I'm amazed at the number of meals and snacks on board, and the long list of items on offer, so I wonder about stuff like that.

4/ For the first full night we've booked a res for Canaletto, but that's also the first Gala Night. Will we be missing out on an especially good meal at the MDR that night?

5/ I read that there's a Chocolate Extravaganza on one of the nights. Which night does that usually take place? Is it in the MDR?

Thanks....

3/ What happens to leftover food? Does it get reused in some way, or thrown out? Or both? I'm amazed at the number of meals and snacks on board, and the long list of items on offer, so I wonder about stuff like that.

At one of the coffee chats with the hotel director on the Zaandam he made the comment that if passengers have "seen" the food then it is garbage and can not be reused even if it has not been touched. If food has not left the galley then it can be reused.

I just watched a documentary on the Queen Mary 2 and it stated that leftover food was ground up into a thick liquid and discharged at sea. There are many regulations that must be followed including the ship must be more than 12 miles from shore and going faster than 6 knots. He jokingly said the big, fat fish in the ocean are the ones following the ship. Not sure, but I would guess this is the practice on other cruise ships.

1/ What are the best places for wildlife/glacier viewing? It seems that the Deck 10 and Deck 11 Observation Decks would be good, as well as the Crow's Nest, but what other places are there? Is the Promenade a good place to view from, or is it more for walking?

> Depends upon your tolerance for wind and chill, crowds, and standing for hours.

• Crow's Nest is snug, dry, and crowded. 2nd NPS Ranger there to be pestered with questions.

• Promenade rail is closer to the water, but you can't run over to the other side

• Depending upon weather, the Captain will generally open the bow area.

• Cabin balcony works. Tune to the bridecam channel and leave the door open for Ranger commentary.

> Don't miss the Split Pea soup being ladled out near the Crow's Nest (and bow area?)

> The bridge will twirl the ship 180º halfway through at each observation stop.

2/ What is security like on the ship? I read that there are plainclothes security officers, but are there also uniformed police/security officers? Are there security cameras everywhere? I wonder what crime stats are like on cruises.

> Uniformed security does not patrol. They wear the same uniform as any of the other ship's company

> of similar rank, except that instead of their rank insignia being piped in color (e.g. white = hotel), they

> have "SECURITY" embroidered below it. If you are not in your stateroom with the drapes drawn,

> assume you are on multiple, unobtrusive, IR-enabled security cameras. That's especially true on

> your balcony -- and you can be seen there from the bridge's wings.

> Once food gets put on the buffet and goes on "time control", it's de jure spoiled at the end of the time

> interval.

4/ For the first full night we've booked a res for Canaletto, but that's also the first Gala Night. Will we be missing out on an especially good meal at the MDR that night?

> That's a "should I order chocolate or pistachio ice cream?" question. ;) Google "Roger Jett

> Photography". He has menus for Lido and MDR posted for, among other things, 2017 Alaska.

> 2018 didn't differ noticeably. Canaletto was delicious, albeit aggressively Italian, and was well-

> screened from the Lido. At 5pm we two were outnumbered by the attentive staff.

5/ I read that there's a Chocolate Extravaganza on one of the nights. Which night does that usually take place? Is it in the MDR?

> On the second "gala" night, crew patrol the promenade decks with trays of chocolate strawberries,

> etc, for 2(?) hours.

Thanks....

> Bon voyage!

Edited by Haboob

Isn't HAL more expensive than Costa, MSC, Carnival, Norwegian and Royal? How do they justify the higher price?
The ships that sweetipie had sailed on already were, “Volendam, the Rotterdam twice and the Zaandam,” not, “Costa, MSC, Carnival, Norwegian and Royal.”

Having just cruised on both Carnival and Holland America I can assure you that there is a significant difference explaining the price difference, even down to details such as the decking on the Lido deck.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

Travelling on the Oosterdam, departing next week. What can I expect in terms of number of hangers in the closets? Would there be standard hangers as well as skirt/pant hangers (with clips), and approximately how many can I count on. If not enough, is it possible to request additionals from our porter?

Travelling on the Oosterdam, departing next week. What can I expect in terms of number of hangers in the closets? Would there be standard hangers as well as skirt/pant hangers (with clips), and approximately how many can I count on. If not enough, is it possible to request additionals from our porter?

There are at least two, and possibly more (depending on category) full closets, plus a half-closet with shelving above. All will have some hangers in them.

Most hangers are wooden, some with clips. There may be a few wire hangers, too, as those are what laundry is returned on, and some people keep them in their closet.

Generally I have sufficient hangers for all my clothes. The times I have asked for more I have gotten as many as I needed. Just ask the cabin steward.

Enjoy your cruise!

Our first HAL cruise is coming up next month (on the Zuiderdam). I have a quick question on the soda card, the one you buy for $25 that gives you $50 worth of fountain soda. Mostly what I drink is seltzer/sparkling water. At soda fountains/bars, this usually means club soda, which would be fine. Can I expect to find club soda (or any type of seltzer/sparkling water) at the bars on the Zuiderdam? (I would think so, since it's a mixer...)

Also, must this particular card be bought before the cruise, or can I buy it on board?

Thanks as always for the great info on this thread!

Can you use the Quench package in MDR for cappuccino? where can you get shots of expresso throughout the ship? Thank you for all your help.

Heading towards number 5 cruise on HAL which pushes it past Celebrity that we will be on in April!

Our first HAL cruise is coming up next month (on the Zuiderdam). I have a quick question on the soda card, the one you buy for $25 that gives you $50 worth of fountain soda. Mostly what I drink is seltzer/sparkling water. At soda fountains/bars, this usually means club soda, which would be fine. Can I expect to find club soda (or any type of seltzer/sparkling water) at the bars on the Zuiderdam? (I would think so, since it's a mixer...)

Also, must this particular card be bought before the cruise, or can I buy it on board?

Thanks as always for the great info on this thread!

I’ve found that the card now has to be purchased in advance of the cruise. Soda water is covered for its use.

While we use soda cards, we also frequently purchase additional sodas at port stops and if there isn’t a long distance to carry them. Generally they are pretty inexpensive (especially soda water which in Europe can be found for .19€ cents for a 1.5 liter bottle in non branded versions).

Cruising for the first time. Will be on Westerdam and have anytime seating. We are traveling with another couple. Can we make reservations for 4 or do we just show up together and each do own reservation time?

Are there best times to arrive to get a table without reservations?

Cruising for the first time and will be on Westerdam.

I saw some cruise tags on FB that hold printed cruise tags I suppose vs stapling or taping to luggage.

Is this a good idea?

You can certainly use them if you wish, but many don't bother as they don't feel the need to.

The luggage tags don't have to last long. Just from the airport/hotel to your cabin on the ship.

I’ve found that the card now has to be purchased in advance of the cruise. Soda water is covered for its use.

While we use soda cards, we also frequently purchase additional sodas at port stops and if there isn’t a long distance to carry them. Generally they are pretty inexpensive (especially soda water which in Europe can be found for .19€ cents for a 1.5 liter bottle in non branded versions).

Thanks Tim!

Cruising for the first time and will be on Westerdam.

I saw some cruise tags on FB that hold printed cruise tags I suppose vs stapling or taping to luggage.

Is this a good idea?

We've been using those tag holders for years (we get them on Amazon) because they have the plastic loops that secure the holders to your bag, and then there's no need for stapling or taping (or having to find a stapler or tape in your hotel). And if it's raining, there's protection for the paper tags. And they are re-usable. So we find them very convenient.

But as Ruth said, they are not necessary.

Cruising for the first time. Will be on Westerdam and have anytime seating. We are traveling with another couple. Can we make reservations for 4 or do we just show up together and each do own reservation time?

Are there best times to arrive to get a table without reservations?

Welcome to CruiseCritic and Holland America! Yes, you can make reservations for 4 up to three days at a time. You will find additional details in this thread:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2656503&highlight=Reservations

Enjoy your first cruise!

We were on the Veendam in June on a cruise to Bermuda. It is a lovely ship. The aft pool area on the Lido deck is one of the best in the fleet. It has two large hot tubs and two large lounging tubs. The onboard entertainment was very good. We also thought the food was excellent. The Veendam shops and art dealers have all been changed over to the new merchants. It is nice to see some change.

We also did the Boston to Montreal cruise several years ago. We took a walking tour in Quebec City which was a great way to see the city since we had never been. If your ship is lucky enough to stop in Saguenay, go an see the show about the city's history. It was the highlight of the cruise.

We were on the Veendam in June on a cruise to Bermuda. It is a lovely ship. The aft pool area on the Lido deck is one of the best in the fleet. It has two large hot tubs and two large lounging tubs. The onboard entertainment was very good. We also thought the food was excellent. The Veendam shops and art dealers have all been changed over to the new merchants. It is nice to see some change.

We also did the Boston to Montreal cruise several years ago. We took a walking tour in Quebec City which was a great way to see the city since we had never been. If your ship is lucky enough to stop in Saguenay, go an see the show about the city's history. It was the highlight of the cruise.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise! We have the show in Saguenay already booked. Where did you meet prior to the performance? I'd like to do some walking around before we go to the theatre. Thank you!

Thanks for the update on the Veendam.

I am thinking of a cruise on the Veendam next year (it sails out of Venice). Nice to know she's in fine shape.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise.