Port of Helsinki On July 16

Sounds like if we want to visit the Church in the Rock it needs to be by foot?

If you don't like to walk 3.5 km (a bit over two miles) during the warmest day of the summer, you can take bus 14 from the quay and jump off at "Kauppakorkeakoulut" -stop. Same route the other way. If you ride the 14 until "Töölön sairaala", you can get near the Sibelius monument. Same route the other way takes you back to the ship. Along the 14 you can also find "Kamppi" where you can take the metro to the city centre. Or shop within Kamppi itself, which is a huge shopping area and a mall.

Bus 14 doesn't seem to go anywhere near the troublesome areas so you should be ok. If a motorcade decides to drive along this route, then there might be a small wait. The frequency of this line is 20 minutes so you can always catch the next one if you missed one of the buses.

A single ticket is valid for 60 min so be sure to check from the printed ticket the last valid time. It is enough if you hop on board within the ticket validity. Day ticket is valid the whole day. Driver is paid in cash and doesn't accept large bills, ticket machines are more flexible. You can also use HSL mobile app, but that requires internet connectivity during purchasing.

If you decide to walk, have a small break near the Kamppi area. Lots of cafes and restaurants to choose from.

Hope this helps.

While we really like Helsinki, would probably just stay on the ship because of the Trump-Putin meeting.

Protestors would be a major concern to us.

Why would protesters be a “major concern” if you can avoid them? Hey are not protesting against Americans. They are protesting against Trump and his policies. Unless you plan on protesting to voice your support I don’t see it as a big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why would protesters be a “major concern” if you can avoid them? Hey are not protesting against Americans. They are protesting against Trump and his policies. Unless you plan on protesting to voice your support I don’t see it as a big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The problem is it's about 15 minutes in the shuttle so too far to walk to the centre and lots of roads are closed for security so shuttle bus might have a problem dropping people off.

I personally having been there and not impressed would stay on the ship.

I think the Fins are more likely to protest against Mr Putin than Mr Trump.

Most of the protests were yesterday. Finnish protests are peaceful anyway. They just make a few speeches for the media and get seen and that's it. Also they will be well contained by the police.

Shuttle (if there is one) shouldn't have any trouble dropping people off to the city centre, or you can take regular public transportation e.g. bus 14 to Kamppi and take the metro from there. Metro goes to Hakaniemi also if you are interested in island hopping. You can catch the JT-Line ferry.

Ship has a shuttle dropping people off at Kasarmitori ... We will walk to rock church from there. Is Kamppi also in this area?

I understand Uspenski church is closed? Probably will still walk to it and take photos outside ...

Good pic from Helsinki.

We went on a Russian river cruise in May. The local tourist tack shops/kiosks had items with Trumps face on them, along with wording which said, "Make Russia great again".

It appears that he is appreciated there :)

Holy crowded in Helsinki today!

Fun even with the protests

Did it get out of hand? ;)

I think there were 13 different protests all over Helsinki today. Stuff like freedom of speech, freedom of press, human rights, democracy, free trade, abortion, peace to Afghanistan... And of course the anti-apocalypse rally. All things that haven't gone to the right direction when these two have been in power.

Police said they arrested one group of around twenty people who were planning to occupy a street and block traffic. Othen than that, a peaceful day in Helsinki.

Did you at least enjoy the unusual day?

Good pic from Helsinki.

We went on a Russian river cruise in May. The local tourist tack shops/kiosks had items with Trumps face on them, along with wording which said, "Make Russia great again".

It appears that he is appreciated there :)

The only "pro-Trump" rally had something like twenty people. He seems to be more of a laughing stock over here, but some people I have talked to like him just because he isn't politically correct. They might not approve his comments, or decisions, but they like the fact that he says what he thinks and that Trump's comments annoy the other people in power - this kind of "common enemy" -approach.

The "Make Helsinki great again" -caps were also popular today.