Ketchikan Hiking DIY

KarimaJ

We are planning to do some hiking while in port. I have searched and read some of these threads. My question is, to see the rainforest which trails would we do? Lunch Creek and Ward? Any others? If we take a cab up there how would we get back? Also, we have plenty of black bears in New England so we don't care about seeing them :)

the whole area is "rainforest". :)

You'd have to be able to call for a cab at least 15 minutes prior to wanting to be picked up. I'd also suggest renting a car, makes a lot better use of port times.

I use this guide, if you haven't already seen it https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5413489.pdf

• Like 1

I generally hike in every port. In Ketchikan I rent a car from Alaska Car Rental, even when I'm in port for only four hours. They are about a mile from the port and will pick you up and drop you off. I've walked back along the water when I have the time.

I use the same trail guide Budget Queen listed. That guide gives an excellent description of the trails and how difficult/easy they are. A particularly beautiful trail at the north end of the road is Lunch Creek Trail. After you hike there, on your way back you can stop at Totem Bight State Park and see not only the totem poles, but a beautiful view of the fjord.

Ketchikan is beautiful and full of a wide range of trails - from flat nature trails (Ward Lake), to easy ones with a bit of an elevation gain/loss (Lunch Creek), to more difficult, mountain hikes.

Hope my description helps!

Lunch creek trail.... how to get there if no car rental? seems like I won;t have enough time in port to hike that one....any others with views worth noting? Where is the view of the fjords?

I did Lunch Creek Trail, Totem Bight State Park, and Ward lake loop when I was in port from 7:00 or 8:00 until noon. Alaska car rental picked me up at 8:00, and off I went. I was back at the ship at about 11:15 for reboarding. You can easily do Lunch Creek and Totem Bight in about 2.5 hours, maybe 3, including travel time. If you don't want to rent a car, there may be some guides who will take you, or a taxi. You are at the end of the road for Lunch Creek trail, and there are no taxis waiting. I imagine you'd need to pre-arrange a pick up.

I did Lunch Creek Trail, Totem Bight State Park, and Ward lake loop when I was in port from 7:00 or 8:00 until noon. Alaska car rental picked me up at 8:00, and off I went. I was back at the ship at about 11:15 for reboarding. You can easily do Lunch Creek and Totem Bight in about 2.5 hours, maybe 3, including travel time. If you don't want to rent a car, there may be some guides who will take you, or a taxi. You are at the end of the road for Lunch Creek trail, and there are no taxis waiting. I imagine you'd need to pre-arrange a pick up.

Thanks for the info! The guide noted above says the lunch creek trail is about 4.5 hours... i I don've that much time,I think we're there from 7-1- also the car rental is over 200 for the day,which is too much for me, however I'm hoping i can get a taxi ride to a trail,and back again....

Thanks for the info! The guide noted above says the lunch creek trail is about 4.5 hours... i I don've that much time,I think we're there from 7-1- also the car rental is over 200 for the day,which is too much for me, however I'm hoping i can get a taxi ride to a trail,and back again....

Did you check with Alaska Car Rental? That's who I always rent with and it's about $65 for the day, including pick up and drop off. They are a small local company.

You can do just part of Lunch Creek Trail - that's what I always do because of limited time. It's a short walk down to the water, and the trail meanders through the rain forest. You can do an out and back for a specified amount of time. It's a really beautiful area with heavy growth, moss, streams, beach - a little bit of everything.

I also rent from Alaska Car Rental, very reputable vendor, I first used them almost 20 years ago.

I've just walked back and forth to their office, since it is usually just as fast/or faster then waiting for pick up.

As for the airport. It is on the bus line and a cab wouldn't be that costly- IF significantly cheaper at the airport.

Thanks ya'll! I just secured a car rental from alaska rental....this should be walkable from the dock right? This should give us a little time to hike out there with our own car....

Great! The distance is maybe a mile - all flat/no hills. I generally have them pick me up at the dock, and then I walk back along the water. If you walk, you can be there by 8:00, so you'll get out about 15 minutes earlier than if they pick you up.

Thanks ya'll! I just secured a car rental from alaska rental....this should be walkable from the dock right? This should give us a little time to hike out there with our own car....

It depends what dock you are at. Dock 4 is close and a shorter walk. IF you are at 1/2 you may want the pick up. At 3/4 I can get there before they can get to me usually. :)

When we were there we hiked Deer Mountain Trail. We were able to walk to it from port. I just did research online before hand and found a map on how to get to the trail head. Our kids were able to make it to the top, DH and I were not able to because I sprained my ankle a week before our trip and was having a hard time. They said it was AMAZING! Unfortunately it was an overcast day, but they said the hike was awesome. This port ended up being everyones favorite. Can't wait to go back one day and make it to the top.

I second Deer Mountain. You can walk from the ship (or take the free shuttle to the Totem Heritage Center to cut off a little of the distance to the trail head). It's very lush: moss draping off the trees, water streaming over the trail everywhere, green, green, green. I've been twice, both times in the rain, and loved it. It's very steep, but the views are worth it. You can get above the treeline within a couple of miles. Great hike.

ok, if we only have from 8-12 (technically in port 7-1) which trail should we choose? If we had time for just one? If you could choose just one for views,which would it be? Seems like Deer creek we wouldn't need a car rental, Lunch Creek, we would need to get there and back in a vehicle

Deer Mountain does have great views, and you don't need a car, but you might not be able to reach the summit and get back in 4 hours. However, you could just go to the first or second lookouts for great views and hiking. Take the free shuttle to the Totem Heritage Center, which will cut off a little of the time needed to get to the trail head. Just something to think about, however: if this is your first and perhaps last time in Ketchikan, you should spend at least a little time exploring the town. It's charming.

We are also going to do hiking at most of the ports. I saw a post that talked about Deer mountain and taking the bus from the port to the tail head. I found the link to the bus schedule but cannot seem to find the post that explained which bus to take. It might have been on trip advisor. Anyone taken the bus. I think it is the green loop to the silver line. Alternative is to take a taxi. Anyone with information would be appreaciated

Edited by mjcruise101
spelling error

For the Deer Mountain Trailhead: It's not the city bus you want. It's the free little shuttle that goes in a loop around town, mostly to tourist spots (including the cruise ship berths). One of the stops is the Totem Heritage Center. If you get off there, it's not much more than half a mile to the trail head, uphill along Ketchikan Lakes Road. You can also walk right from the ship (a little more than a mile.) You can always take a taxi, but I found the walk very satisfying. It is uphill, but since you're REALLY going to be going uphill once you hit the trail, consider it a warm-up.

• Like 2

Thanks Melinda. The information really helps. We do a lot of hiking in Zion, Bryce and the Grand Canyon and really looking forward to hiking in Alaska. I like the idea of just going on are own or taking local tours. My nephew is a US forest service ranger in Ketchikan and we plan to visit him and get some ideas.

• 2 weeks later...

To answer Karima J and Hsmama question on possible hikes. There are lots of good reviews on Rainbird trail, 2.6 miles RT about 2 hrs. Easy to get to from the docks and not very difficult . No need to rent a car. Also Deer Mountain but most reviews say you have to be in good shape and it is a pretty strenuous climb also 4 miles RT but most reviews say it takes 4-5 hr.

Melinda, since you have hiked it twice, how long does it take RT from the trailhead to the 2nd overlook hiking at an easy pace.

Still researching the area myself..... now questioning which trails to visit in our short port time (7-1) options I'm looking at, either rent a car and head up to Lunch Creek as mentioned earlier in thread, or DON't rent a car,and do at least a mile of Deer Creek trail, but I also want to shop/visit Tongass trading and take pics in town too. (without rushing) what would ya'll suggest? (weather permitting any of this of course) b/c I am looking for VIEWS. Is Lunch Creek the place for that 'wow' view? I see beyond settlers cove park,heading left, trails goes to the water....what is there for views? Now I'm reading Deer creek has some great views also,on a clear day. Help me decide please!