Block Parties: Still Happening?

notjaded

We got off the Sojourn last Wednesday after a 32 cruise and they had the block party in the beginning of the cruise

And it makes sense on a long cruise with many sea days. It was nice to meet people that one then runs into daily. And our 32 day cruise was amazing, best one yet.

Why is there such negativity about block parties? I'm really curious. They last about 30 min, no one is forced to participate, and one can completely avoid it if you stay in your room or anyplace else on the ship other than stateroom hallways.

On our first Regent cruise they did offer a block party. We all came out of our staterooms rooms at the announced time while our room stewards passed h'orderves and filled the champagne classes. The Captain, entertainers and officers stopped by each deck and mingled with the passengers. It was quite festive. The event was not repeated on our second cruise and we missed having the experience. Is the Seabourn block party similar to Regent's?

Why is the block party irritating, annoying and viewed as silly to some Seabourn passengers? Here is my take:

The block party is one of the only occasions the CD will announce in cabins that it’s gonna happen, about to happen and is happening. So that’s a signal that he wants a turnout far more than I do. I don’t like, want or need exhortations for a supposedly popular and sponatneous gathering outside my cabin door.

Then the CD accompanies/trots out/ along the suffering captain and senior officers down narrow passenger corridors, pouring drinks and making small talk. This has to be done quickly to reach all decks- so obviously rather contrived. And an inconvenience to those who just want to slip by and away or have to determine how to avoid the whole thing.

I don’t go and I always make my way off my deck asap and elsewhere. So not gonna be a hostage in my cabin so as to avoid the “party”. And each time I do slip away I spare a thought for the captain whose time might be spent better in a more digified setting than a loud, crowded corridor for the 30-60 minutes (or whatever) this affair takes. I bet he and his senior officers would much prefer socializing at the Sky or Observation Bar or the Club with adequate space and comfort. On his own terms. This is a Regent “innovation” that I wish had stayed there and/or the responsible “trendsetting” Seabourn CD had never heard about or chosen to promote it.

Just my take....

Happy and healthy sailing!

We had our first Block Party on the Odyssey back in July. It was good! We enjoyed meeting the fellow guests, then the Captain and Officers. Then our neigbours next door came out and annonced,"Sorry we're late, we were just having sex..." which really broke the ice!
What do you say to that type of revelation? YIKES!

You wouldn’t walk up and down in your bathrobe outside your house with a glass and a cheese straw chatting to passers by.

I would hope not anyway.

Seabourn is very social and friendly so there is no need to degrade yourself by standing in your bathrobe looking disheveled when all you really want to do is get ready and dress for a cocktail and dinner.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Why is there such negativity about block parties? I'm really curious. They last about 30 min, no one is forced to participate, and one can completely avoid it if you stay in your room or anyplace else on the ship other than stateroom hallways.

Count me in as another that doesn't like them. I always feel awkward in forced social situations like that and prefer to avoid them. The timing usually occurs at the time I am getting ready to meet people for drinks. Then I either have to stay trapped in my room or excuse myself as I walk past which feels really uncomfortable.

Julie

I also abhor the block parties and I'm glad to have a heads up that they are occurring on Odyssey right now so I can try to avoid ours.

My partner onthe other hand, might actually enjoy that kind of socializing so I might just nudge him into the hallway to meet everyone while I take a nice long soak! 😂

On our first Regent cruise they did offer a block party. We all came out of our staterooms rooms at the announced time while our room stewards passed h'orderves and filled the champagne classes. The Captain, entertainers and officers stopped by each deck and mingled with the passengers. It was quite festive. The event was not repeated on our second cruise and we missed having the experience. Is the Seabourn block party similar to Regent's?

From my one experience, very similar.

Nashna,

Thanks for your thoughtful post. No, Seabourn is not like Regent, and presumably you have never been on a Seabourn cruise?

The safety drill is obligatory, of course,and is usually conducted at 17:00, before sailing. The CD offers a full range of optional activities each day on the cruise and they are listed in the Herald, the ship's daily bulletin, for those who enjoy them.

Note the word "optional"; one of my points is that he should not be rousting people up and at 'em for his "come as you are" corridor parties via repeated announcements in passenger cabins at 18:00. They're optional, as I already said, and I have better things to do with my time. Like get ready for some comfortable socializing at the Observation Bar.

Happy and healthy sailing!

I loathe block parties. Enforced jollity. Making small talk. The risk that the crashing bores in the adjacent suite will make beeline for you every time they see you, because they are now your 'friends'. And the fact that, in common with many others here, we are usually half dressed, or showering.

Love the'we were just having sex' response, and will adopt in future, or some variant.