Where to get Norwegian Kroner -

WeRockChalkKU

Hello,

From reading it seems I will need some Kroner for smaller purchases (and public toilets?)

We arrive in Kirkenes at 8pm, plan on taking airport bus to hotel and board ship the next day. If I read correctly I will either need a mobile app to pay for the bus at a reduced rate or if I pay cash, it is at a higher rate. Is there an ATM at the Kirkenes Airport? If not, I have a 2 hour layover in Oslo that I assume I could get some Kroner there. I realize that’s not the best exchange rate but it just doesn’t seem worth it to use my local bank here in the US to obtain Kroner since I (hopefully) won’t be needing that much.

Any thoughts/advice is appreciated.

There is most probably an ATM at the Kirkenes airport, but when I went on my Hurtigruten cruise I ordered some NOK at my local bank (in the USA), paying a small fee, and was glad I had it and didn't have to hunt down an ATM when arriving tired and fuzzy-headed in Oslo. You don't need much, as nearly everything can be paid with credit card, but I was glad I had some for paid public toilets and the like during my trip.

I did come home with some NOK, but found a friend who was going to Norway a couple of months after me, and was able to sell her my NOK at the exchange rate in place at that time.

We always get our foreign currency from an ATM at our arrival airport. I seem to remember that there are such ATMs in Oslo airport and I expect there will be at least one in Kirkenes. Not wholly helpful, but others may confirm.

As for the bus, again, not wholly helpful, but the airport bus in Bergen takes credit cards. Can you search on the Kirkenes bus site to see if that is the case there?

In terms of exchange rates, our cards give us pretty much wholesale rates and are far better than any other source. Are you sure yours does not?

Edit: https://avinor.no/en/airport/oslo-airport/plan-your-trip/map/ confirms ATM at Oslo

http://www.whichairline.com/airport/Kirkenes-Hoeybuktmoen-KKN confirms ATM at Kirkenes.