Denali - Fairbanks plan ideas

cruise.freak

We get into Anchorage after cruise on a Friday night and thinking about either heading to Denali and Fairbanks for our four day post land or Denali and than Anchorage, Gridwood, Palmer area. Two of those days either way will be spend mostly in Denali. Which one do you all prefer? About how long does it take to get from Anchorage to Fairbanks? Any suggestions are welcome.

Anchorage to Denali is 5 hrs on a good day; keep in mind that it's a 2 lane hwy with lots of slow moving tourists and road repairs.

Denali to Fairbanks is about 2 1/2 hrs.

Where to go depends on your interests and priorities.

BUT, with only 4 days I don't think you have time to drive TO Fairbanks and have any quality time there, not when you have to turn around and drive all the way back to Anchorage.

Is your flight home a red eye on Day 4 ?

We have full four days and fly home on fifth day from

Anchorage. We are taking the train on Friday from

Seward to anchorage and and get in late but than have Saturday through all day Tuesday to play around. We took the train last Alaska cruise from

Anchorage to Seward and that was one of my favorite part so doing that again in reverse.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm one who likes the Fairbanks area but with only 4 days I'd probably skip it. Again, it goes back to YOUR interests.... are you interested in an ice trek at Matanuska Glacier? ror do you prefer scenic drives? museums? cultural activities?

You need to look at both areas and determine which itinerary best supports your interests, then plot out each day with drive times, sightseeing times, etc.

Sat drive to Denali.

Sun shuttle into park

Mon drive to Girdwood

Tues Visit the Wildlife Center, pan for gold, hike at Byron Glacier, Portage Lake/Glacier, Potters Marsh boardwalk

OR

Monday.. drive to Matanuska Glacier. Do an ice trek. Overnight at a cabin nearby. Detour to Independence Mine

Tues drive to Girdwood (3 hrs ) for local exploring.

I assume you'll overnight in or near Anchorage and return the car to the airport on Wed ?

I'm one who likes the Fairbanks area but with only 4 days I'd probably skip it. Again, it goes back to YOUR interests.... are you interested in an ice trek at Matanuska Glacier? ror do you prefer scenic drives? museums? cultural activities?

You need to look at both areas and determine which itinerary best supports your interests, then plot out each day with drive times, sightseeing times, etc.

Sat drive to Denali.

Sun shuttle into park

Mon drive to Girdwood

Tues Visit the Wildlife Center, pan for gold, hike at Byron Glacier, Portage Lake/Glacier, Potters Marsh boardwalk

OR

Monday.. drive to Matanuska Glacier. Do an ice trek. Overnight at a cabin nearby. Detour to Independence Mine

Tues drive to Girdwood (3 hrs ) for local exploring.

I assume you'll overnight in or near Anchorage and return the car to the airport on Wed ?

Thank you for the suggestions all sound good lol. Yes we are staying in anchorage last night to return car to airport.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

alaska.org is a good resource. The first link is a travel time/mileage chart for popular destinations. The next link is Scenic Drives and for each drive it provides suggested stopping points. Look at the drives for Turnagain Arm, Portage Valley and Matanuska Glacier for ideas.

http://www.alaska.org/advice/mileage-chart

http://www.alaska.org/things-to-do/scenic-drives

(the Things To Do section is also very helpful)

Could you tell me if this is possible please. Saturday morning drive to Denali and stay until Monday morning. Monday drive to Whittier and sight see along the way. I looked and most places sold out to stay in Whittier so probably have to stay in Girdwood. The tunnel to Whittier looks pretty cool to see also.

definitely do-able. You'd have to get an early start if you want time to see or do anything in the Girdwood area (turnagain arm). Girdwood is only 45 minutes south of Anchorage.

I think there are only 2 places to stay in Whittier; the lovely inn and an older motel.

Girdwood has lots of lodging options; the Alyeska Resort and numerous B&B. Check the Girdwood Chamber of Commerce site.

cruise.freak: The only way you could consider Denali and Fairbanks would be if you flew out of Fairbanks. But even then, given the size of this state, it would be superficial visits to both areas.

Could you tell me if this is possible please. Saturday morning drive to Denali and stay until Monday morning. Monday drive to Whittier and sight see along the way. I looked and most places sold out to stay in Whittier so probably have to stay in Girdwood. The tunnel to Whittier looks pretty cool to see also.

This is certainly do-able, and gives you more time in Denali. Also, "goggle" Whittier to learn about the history of this community and why most of the folks live in that old WWII era building.

What did you see and do last time? Did you get to Denali ? You do not have time for Fairbanks, Unless you are flying out of there and have a one way rental car? Can you change to include this?

What are you doing in Whittier? More efficient, would be to skip the train, get a Hertz car to Anchorage, and include your Whittier/Girdwood activities then, rather than backtracking? 4 days is a very limited amount of time. Are you taking the shuttle into Denali and already have your tickets?